Search for content in message boards

Thomas Ward

Thomas Ward

Posted: 8 Jun 2002 2:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2003 12:20PM GMT
Surnames: WARD, SANDERS, PARRIS, ARMS
Has anyone ever found a connection between the Wards of Tazwell and Wythe County VA that settled in Johnson and apparently Perry County KY and Nancy Ward, the Beloved Woman of the Cherokee?

My gggg father was a Thomas Ward, (b. 1775 in VA, parentage to be determined and I may be getting close to tying him to this group. Thomas also lived in Tazwell, Wythe and Russell County VA and his family eventually settled in Johnson and Lawrence County, KY. It does seem, however, that he appeared out of nowhere in the 1820 Tazwell, VA census. No other Ward will claim him!

I have no pictures of him, obviously, but I do have pictures of his grandchildren and there is an obviously VERY STRONG Native American Influence.

I live in the heart of Indian Territory in Oklahoma and immediately began to try to tie him to the Nancy Ward line. Although the naming patterns and dates run so close with the Nancy Ward line I have had no sucess getting anywhere close. Would love to know! The legends seem to be the same with all the Wards I talk to. The pictures and the ways of my g grandmother and gg grandmother can't be denied!

Thomas married an Elizabeth SANDERS b. (Saunders, possibly the d/o Thomas Sanders and Mary Polly PARRIS). His son Daniel, my ggg grandfather married a Sarah ARMS (d/o Aaron Arms b. N.C. & Elizabeth Shepherd b. N.C.- Aaron was the s/o an Abigail Arms (b. N.C.) who appears out of nowwhere about 1820 in the Johnson County KY Census as a Head of Household).

I'm finding a few ARMS and SANDERS (Thomas Sanders was a Cherokee Chief for the Western Nation-but he is not my Thomas Sanders!)in the Indian Rolls, but not mine. Any info or direction you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Would love to know the connection as I have always felt there was one!

Re: Thomas Ward

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 9:40PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2004 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: McGuire, Ward
Hi there,
I just saw the name Ward and I remembered I saw that name some where. An ancestor of mine was a Archibald D. McGuire. On the 1860 Kentucky Census for Owsley County (Proctor) a Rebecca Ward is listed as part of the house hold. What makes it very curious she is 65 years old and is M (Mullato) and is listed as a domestic servant. Archibald had a number of slaves and yet Rebecca lived in his house hold. I wonder if she might have been American Indian? In 1870 Archibald passed away and I never found her again. A relative said she was buried as Hannah and was in the Mcguire cemetery. If you wish to reply my e-mail address has changed and it is now rwarren@springnet.cc
It is all a passing thought, but some things just point right at you.

Sincerely

Roger

Re: Thomas Ward

Posted: 15 Feb 2007 7:09AM GMT
Surnames: Ward, Sanders
Hi, if you have found out any information about Thomas Ward or Elizabeth Sanders, please share it with me.
Daniel's younger brother, Martin V. Ward (b. Russell Co, 1848), was my great grandfather.
I had not heard about an Indian connection in that family but would like to find out about that. I would also appreciate any other details you have about them; for example, I'm curious as to why Elizabeth and the younger children (Daniel, Lydia Margaret, and Martin) ended up in Paintsville, KY, in 1860. What happened to the father Thomas? By the way, I believe Margaret married Elias Arms in about 1859. Was he a brother of Sarah's?
Thanks for anything you can pass along about that family.

WARD Family History

Posted: 15 Feb 2007 11:01AM GMT
Some of the information in the original query is slightly misleading.

Nanye'hi ~ Nancy ~ Beloved Woman of the Cherokee.

She was born abt 1738 in Chota, then in the Cherokee Nation East, (now Blount Co TN) and died in 1824 CNE.

Her ONE and ONLY connection to the surname WARD is her marriage to Bryan WARD, b abt 1720 Ireland, d 1815 GA.
They had one child, Elizabeth WARD b abt 1757 CNE.
She married Joseph MARTIN.

This particular family has been excellently and accurately documented by eminent Cherokee historians and the actual descendants.

The WARD families of southwestern VA were not Indian had no connection to the Cherokee People.

It's not certain the Thomas WARD b 1775 and the Thomas WARD who married Elizabeth SANDERS (Sept 21 1821 Tazewell Co VA) are actually the same person.
According to the 1860 census Elizabeth was 57 (b abt 1803) which seems like a rather large age difference.
It might be an idea to try and obtain a copy of the marriage record, and also look for Court Records, Wills, etc.

You will probably find much more information on the WARD surname boards.

Kathy Roberts
VA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic