Search for content in message boards

CA Railroad-Can I transpose the words in an occupation to satisfy the Suggestion List?

CA Railroad-Can I transpose the words in an occupation to satisfy the Suggestion List?

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 1:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I see "Engr Pilot" as my occupation, but that is not a suggested choice. I do, however, find "Pilot Engr".

The purest in me wants to keep "Engr Pilot" because that is how it appears on the document; but the pragmatist in me wants to enter "Pilot Engr" because it is a suggested choice.

I welcome your advice.

Re: CA Railroad-Can I transpose the words in an occupation to satisfy the Suggestion List?

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 1:18PM GMT
I think you should key it as seen. The two versions might not even mean the same thing.

Re: CA Railroad-Can I transpose the words in an occupation to satisfy the Suggestion List?

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 3:29PM GMT
Very true. Thanks for responding.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:27AM GMT
As per instructions for keying "key as seen". I understand why you ask that question and kinda agree and at the same time ... the gods who be say key as seen!!

lol

Leslie

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 1:16PM GMT
Oh I feel like this all the time. I want to key as seen, because that's what it says, but I always just want to key what's suggested in the dictionary because it's supposed to help. In the end, we all succumb to command+7'ing and accepting it as it's seen, lol!

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 4:56PM GMT
Well said.
Ultimately, we are assisting in a project created by someone else, and that project director should have his/her instructions followed to the letter. If we as individuals, reinterpret those instructions, it could compromise the goals of the project and produce unusable results.

"key as seen" Thank you, my fellow keyer. You help me be more sure of what i do. Not totally, but more so. I have only been doing this for a week. The more i know, the more questions i have. But, i think the quality of my work improves-thanks to other keyers like you.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 3:44AM GMT
"You help me be more sure of what i do. Not totally, but more so." I know 'exactly' how you feel on this. A little better but at the same time just not quiet there especially when you have to switch to another project...like NOW! CA RR isn't on available anymore so we have to switch .... wah:`(. Oh well life goes on .... ;)

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 5:18AM GMT
What about 'DO'? I keyed several sets before I realized that DO is old short hand for 'Ditto' and I should have keyed the information in the prior field. DO was even a suggested entry. I noticed that the RR was gone and the other keying offered had too much handwritting for me to find the data required. But I will keep checking.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 5:57AM GMT
Did you already submitting them? If yes, there is nothing you can do. If you haven't you can go back and correct them.

Huge mistake on the part of WAP that we can't correct when we realize the mistakes we have made. But that is a whole 'nother heading ....

If you have submitted them .... go on as there is nothing you can do. I am working on the American Volunteers ... Mexican War. CA RR was my first project and just when I think I have it all figured out "BAM" it is gone and I have to start another. My theory is to pick the ones that are almost done ... close to submission to get it done and over with. I can't do foreign languages and for now easy. I have to get things figured out before I feel confident enough to move on to something bigger or harder. We shall see how this one go ...
Happy 2013
Leslie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions