Search for content in message boards

Kent County Birth Records

Kent County Birth Records

Posted: 24 Jan 2009 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2009 1:37PM GMT
I'm looking for the record of a birth from 1874 but have not been able to find it at the state level. Are there any organizations or schools that would have these records and could do a lookup?

Thanks!

Elisabeth

Re: Kent County Birth Records

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 2:35PM GMT
Its possible there is not birth record. Not all births from that time got recorded. Have you tried looking at other possible sources such as christening/baptism records or the 1880 census?

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: DENNIS
Hi there
I've looked through the 1880 census extensively but can't find anything even close to this person's name. I wouldn't even know where to start as far as christening or baptismal records- I don't know if he practiced any religion. He was married to his first wife by a justice of the peace, not in a church, and was still married to her when he "married" his second wife (my great-grandmother). It's almost like he didn't exist until he got married the first time and he disappeared completely when he left my great-grandmother! I've been trying to find out his parent's names for 20 years and haven't had any luck so was hoping someone out there might have a suggestion. Thank you for your answer!
Elisabeth

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 7:32PM GMT
Are you sure you're looking in the right county? The 1870s in Michigan saw a lot of migrations from people from out of the state, particularly NY etc. Maybe if you tried a general 1880 census search you might get lucky, or you might not. Perhaps he came from NY or even another part of Michigan with his family or by himself later on, after the 1880 census. Have you tried the 1900 census, too?

Have you looked, also, for his marriage license/registration? Sometimes those listed the parents names. Even if he was married by a JOP he should still have one, if it was a legal marriage.

Good luck!!

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 3:50AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2009 11:25AM GMT
I've tried searches on the 1880 countrywide census as many different ways as I could think of with as many alternate spellings of his name and have never had any luck. : ( The few documents I have state he was born in Kent County MI and I do have his birthdate but that hasn't helped. I have the license from his first marriage but his parent's names aren't given. I also have located him on the 1900, 1910 and 1920 census but then he disappears and nobody ever heard from him again. He moved around quite a bit:
Born in Kent County MI
Married in 1896 in Chicago IL
1900 Census = Kalamazoo County MI
1910 Census = Seattle WA
1920 Census = Portland OR
Would there be any other marriage records if there was a marriage license? Maybe a marriage license application?
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Elisabeth

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 3:55AM GMT
Have you looked into death records for Seattle after 1920?

What about WWI registation cards? I'm not sure what the age cut-off was for that, but its worth a look. Ancestry has them online. The record wouldn't necessarily have his parents names on there (unless they were next of kin) but they do sometimes provide information that is helpful.

If he was married by a JOP, then I dont think there would be any other information than the license. Perhaps there might be a mention in a local paper. Papers back then were notorious for including tons of little pieces of gossip which are nuggets for family history.

That's about all I can think of right now. Sorry.

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 4:00AM GMT
What is the name of the person you are seeking - and his wife for the marriage?

Roger

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 4:08AM GMT
I have tried the death records in Seattle but no luck. He did register for WWI and I have a copy of that - I think he was in the third round or so of picks because he was 44 at the time! No parents given on that either, just his second "wife" (my great-grandmother) although he was still legally married to his first wife.
The newspaper is a good idea and I'll definitely try it - I'm stumped!
Thank you!

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 4:09AM GMT
Hi
His name was: Dennis, Archie Edward

His first wife's name was: Miller, Florence

They got married on 28 Sep 1896 in Chicago.

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 4:32AM GMT
The Western Michigan Genealogical Society newspapers database shows a death notice/obituary for an Archie Dennis was published 2 Feb 1960 in the Grand Rapids Press. He would be 86 years old if he's the one you're looking for.

And the Western Michigan Genealogical Society Kent County Marriage Index has a record for

Archie E Dennis marrying Tena Young sometime 1900-1904

Check out http://data.wmgs.org/

Cheers

Roger
per page

Find a board about a specific topic