Search for content in message boards

Tithes Applotments are now available for free from the National Archives of Ireland.

Tithes Applotments are now available for free from the National Archives of Ireland.

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Good news! The Tithes Applotments are now available for free from the National Archives of Ireland. http://www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie/

Re: Tithes Applotments are now available for free from the National Archives of Ireland.

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:05PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, O'Hara, Carlon, McDonnel, Howley, ect....
Thanks John, please do continue posting FREE resources (as I do) because some people do not know they need NOT pay anyone as most research can be done online now for free.

Cheers,

Murph_

Re: Tithes Applotments are now available for free from the National Archives of Ireland.

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:09PM GMT
John,

Just downloaded the page from KILMACTEIGE, and I am wondering if you (or someone) can explain the abbreviations for the Columns -- and what about Defaulters of Roman Catholics in the same Parishes -- are they listed elsewhere?

Murph_

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:45PM GMT
Hi Murph,

Each parish can be quite different. Some explanations are here

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ireland_Tithe_App...)

and here
http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/tithe-applotment-book...

Couple of things to note.
1) PDFs are numbered sequentially, so if you want to browse them, just add one to the last number before the .pdf
2) There are a lot of pages that are digitized, but not indexed, so browsing as explained in #1 above is good.
3) The transcription is horrible, in many cases, so browsing is really useful.
4) I assume people know how to download the PDFs, as it is useful to save the records.

Hope this helps.

John

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 10:24PM GMT
Thanks John,

I appreciate it and will Browse them -- I am assuming "LC" after a name is really "RC"=Roman Catholic ? The nest column seems to be Acres, Pearch and Rods (Land Measurements) and then the amout due --

Do you have any idea what they (the Gov. or whomever ran County Sligo then) did with the "defaulters" as I have never seen the actual defaulters list (but when Browsing I might run across it I imagine).

Finally, Do you research Sligo? I ask because I have been trying to get those who Do or Have for sometime to work together and upload all files (I have tons) but I am having problems finding a uploandable website for such -- and messaging chat lists...

I own (among others):

www.kilmacteige.com
www.triptoireland.net
www.triptoireland.org

If you search the Sligo list I posted, like you, the Census, and Griffiths free links so others are aware they are available free (and don't get ripped paying someone to look them up as you see "lookups" all the time and a couple key strokes they could do it themselves....

Anyway, my Murphy ancestors seem to have "appeared" in the 1800s in Sligo and this Helps as I did find more reference to a Daniel Murphy (who I was aware of) BUT I do not think He is related as Michael and Jon are common name-I keep working it though.

Thanks for your post, if you want to help with records (if you have any) I am here quite a bit.

Murph_

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 10:28PM GMT
LC is probably RC. Acres, Pearch and Rods and amount due are correct.

I think the defaulters are on a different list. I have seen some defaulters lists - not for Sligo though, and not on any free sites.

I am actually mostly county Mayo - one part of my family, Roughneen / Rochford were in Kilmoremoy parish, which was then Sligo but is now Mayo. I was just looking through Kilfian and Lacken parish tithes and did see a lot of Murphys - not sure if any of those could have been related.

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 10:38PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2012 10:44PM GMT
Thanks John,

I appreciate it and will Browse them -- I am assuming "LC" after a name is really "RC"=Roman Catholic ? The nest column seems to be Acres, Pearch and Rods (Land Measurements) and then the amout due --

Do you have any idea what they (the Gov. or whomever ran County Sligo then) did with the "defaulters" as I have never seen the actual defaulters list (but when Browsing I might run across it I imagine).

Finally, Do you research Sligo? I ask because I have been trying to get those who Do or Have for sometime to work together and upload all files (I have tons) but I am having problems finding a uploandable website for such -- and messaging chat lists...

I own (among others):

www.kilmacteige.com
www.triptoireland.net
www.triptoireland.org

If you search the Sligo list I posted, like you, the Census, and Griffiths free links so others are aware they are available free (and don't get ripped paying someone to look them up) as "lookups" are posted all the time -- a couple more key strokes and People could do it themselves....

Anyway, my Murphy ancestors seem to have "appeared" in the 1800s in Sligo and this Helps as I did find more reference to a Daniel Murphy (who I was aware of) BUT I do not think He is related as Michael and Jon are common name-I keep working it though.

I am adding MAYO is also a very close interest as I have a CARLON surname which was my GM from Gallen I think it is in Mayo.

Thanks for your post, if you want to help with records (if you have any) I am here quite a bit.
Cheers,
Murph_

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 10:56PM GMT

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 5:24AM GMT
Thank you for alerting us.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions