Search for content in message boards

Margaret Maggie Burns and John McPartlin

Margaret Maggie Burns and John McPartlin

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 6:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McPartlin, Burns
I am trying to complete a family tree as a present to my wife and daughter. I am almost done except to finish it I need the parents of the two indivduals in the subject header. I know that their son John Joeseph McPartlin was born in Sligo and it is highly probable that Maggie Burns was also born there. John McPartlin on the other hand apparently was born in Scotland and emigrated to County Sligo. This was in the mid 1800s

I am looking for info on these two indivduals parentage. I have been everywhere already and cannot find anything. I suspect that there is a spelling change of the last name (McPartlin=McPartland=McFarlane) or its an Irish to Anglo name change (Beirne=Burn).

If anyone has any info it would be most helpful in completing this project before Christmas.

Thanks in advance

Nesbitt McPartlin-Haggarty

Re: Margaret Maggie Burns and John McPartlin

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 2:26PM GMT
I've no knowledge of the individuals named however I can think of two general points from my own experience:

John McPartlin, although born in Scotland, was most probably born to parents from the area to which he returned. This happened in my own family.
Have you checked the ScotlandsPeople website for his birth record and census results?

The Beirne/Burns and McPartlin/McPartland names are common in Leitrim too and it may be the case that the families lived nearby but on each side of the Sligo/Leitrim border. Maggie could be from Leitrim and they therefore were married in her parish in Leitrim and lived and had children in Sligo.
Best of luck.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 2:43PM GMT
Hi, I have just seen your message on Ancestry.com. I believe we may be from the same family,. My great great grandparents are John McPartlin and Margaret Burns, Sligo they had sons called Peter, Francis, and I think Michael . Francis married Mary Anne Lyons from Balbriggan. Peter married a lady called Sheridan and Michael is absent from the l9ll census leading me to believe he emigrated, dont know where to. They were famous rebels during the l916 rising in Ireland. Do you think this is your family. Would really be delighted to share more information with you. Lisa

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 4:30PM GMT
Good evening Lisa from Beijing,

The details of John McPartlin and Margaret "Maggie" Burns and their descendents have been sketchy. My mother told me stories of children having moved to Montreal. One of them being one John Joeseph McPartlin (who is my great-grandfather), and the other one my mother could not remember. Apparently as well there was an Aunt that came over with the two boys, but upon setting foot in Montreal made a bee-line for New York City.

I do not have nor can not find any record of John and Maggie or of their children except for John Joeseph McPartlin (who married Jesse Dron Stewart of Sligo). It does sound like though that Peter, Francis, and Michael were his siblings. I canot find any record of Maggie and John's parents.

I have always known that we were the only branch of the McPartlin tree in Canada, but have made some contacts in Eire. My cousin from Regina married a Gardai from Donegal and now lives there. I have some deep-set connections in the Corca Dhuibhne.

If you have any info about these family members it would be very much appreciated.

Whereabouts are you located?

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 7:12PM GMT
Hi from Dublin, you are most definitely not the only branch of the McPartlin family in canada Sean McPartlin my uncle lives in Vancouver and if we are from the same family it would be great. My mother told me and I also found out through the l9ll census of Ireland John Joseph McPartlin was born and died as an infant son of Francis McPartlin and his wife Mary Anne Lyons so the family tradition of John Joseph might be a link. I recently visited Sligo and found out some information about John McPartlin who was a carpenter and founded the Union in the county of Sligo.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 6:32PM GMT
Hi, Just discovered the marriage of John McPartlin and Margaret Burns, 26th september l861 Calry, Sligo. 1862 birth of Maria Johanna, Michael James l865, Elizabeth l868 John Joseph l870, ,Francis l871, Margaret Theresa l874,Patrick l874, I also found prison records for John and later his son Francis. Crimes were assault and having possession of a gun without a licence. What a find. I will keep you posted .

Posted: 19 Oct 2013 3:09PM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2013 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: McPartlin,Burns,
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing this info on John McPartlin and Margaret Burns ....and their offspring!!.

It would appear that they are the parents of Peter C McPartlin born in Sligo in 1876 (my Great Grandfather). Peter's family home on Dorset Street in Dublin is still in the name of McPartlin, but it is currently rented out to employees working in the Mater Hospital in Dublin.
Peter was an active volunteer in the Easter Rising of 1916, stationed in the GPO on O'Connell Street.
His name is listed on the Roll of Honour website... http://1916rebellionmuseum.com/1916-easter-rising/roll-of-ho...

Peter had a son also called Peter (my Grandfather) who was unfortunately a victim a serious mugging and death by drowning in the River Liffey (beside The Halfpenny Bridge) in 1952.

I would be delighted to hear of any further information on John McPartlins parents. From reading this thread it maybe the case that John's father arrived in Sligo from Scotland which would be great to confirm.

Paul (Dublin)

Posted: 18 Jan 2014 4:07PM GMT
Peter C McPartlin was also my great grandfather, his daughter, Mary Brigid was my granny. From what I could find out, the parents of John McPartlin were Michael McPartlin and Anne Dolan and Margaret Burns parents were Michael and Mary Burns.

Anne (Kildare)

Posted: 18 Jan 2014 5:17PM GMT
Hi Anne, Thank you so much for posting this information. I am delighted to find out the parents of John and Margaret. Do you have the names of Johns siblings, would love to know how many there were. I have had some contact with another great grandson of Peter C. McPartlin who was the brother of my great grandfather Francis McPartlin who married Mary Anne Lyons from Balbriggan. I found them in the census living with two sons, Francis and Thomas who is my Grandfather. They had a son John Joseph who sadly died as an infant. Their address at the time was Henrietta Street and it must have been a tough time for them. The pensions records which came on line yesterday have some great papers belonging to Peter that include his original birth certificate, you may have already seen it. Hopefully we can share information and piece together the family tree. Thanks again. Lisa

Posted: 19 Jan 2014 5:54PM GMT
Hi Lisa, I have pm'd you. I cannot find anything more on John or Margaret. I have tried to get details of the birth of John's parents but with no success. Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions