Search for content in message boards

LAFONTAINES IN CHAMPLAIN

LAFONTAINES IN CHAMPLAIN

Posted: 26 May 2009 6:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: lafontaine
Having a little trouble locating an Andrew LaFontaine from Champlain Ny. He was probably born 1776 or so some where around LaPrarie QC and had several children in NY to include Francois Xavier, Oliver, Joseph, Louis, and John.

Any help would be appreciated

Re: LAFONTAINES IN CHAMPLAIN

Posted: 1 Jun 2009 5:58PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2009 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: Fontaine, Fountain
History of Northern New York, Clinton Co. pg. 730. This family LAFONTAINE is of French orgin and settled in Canada about the 1700. Of this family was Joseph Lafontaine, who was born at Chambly Province of Quebec, Canada in 1787. In 1826 he removed to Champlain, NY where he died in 1832, during an epidemic of cholera, at the early age of forty-five years. He was honest, upright and highly respected. he married Louise Harteau born in Chambly, in 1705 and died in Champlain in 1874. Children: Camille, further mentioned: Francis, Julude, Rachel, Mathilda, Laura, Joseph, who was the only one surviving in 1909 and a child who died in infancy. Camille Lafontaine, son of Joseph was born Chambly, Canada, February 6, 1813 and died in Champlain NY, June 28, 1901. For many years he worked in the saw mills of Pliny Moore, Esquire, of which he was superintendent for many years. He married Mrs. Laura (Gosselin) Tetreau, widow of Jean Tetreau. She was granddaughter of Louis Gosselin, a lietenant in the Revolution on General Hazen. I also am reseaching this family my connection is Joseph-Marie LaFontaine was was living in Chambly, Que. in 1763. He was married to Marie Reine Boudreau dit LaBonte. Joseph-Marie was a Rev. War Soldier who fought with the American's under James Livingston and Moses Hazen. Good Luck.

Posted: 1 Jun 2009 10:51PM GMT
Thanks

Posted: 2 May 2011 12:20AM GMT
I do not have the names that you posted, but I do have several Lafontaines who lived in that area after and married into families who had people who served in Hazen's regiment during the revolution. I therefore think that they would be from the same family that you are researching. I would happily exchange information with you.

I have a Mary who married Oliver Chartier in 1894, George Joseph who married Ruth Ashline, Josephine who married Andrew Boileau and Louis who married Denise Pelletier.

Also, you mention Lt Louis Gosselin. He brother Clement was alos in the War as a Major by the time the war was over he had worked many spy missions for Washington.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions