Search for content in message boards

Unable to restore 2012 FTM file from removable media

Unable to restore 2012 FTM file from removable media

Posted: 27 May 2012 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Using both backup file and export file directions, I am able to copy my 2012 FTM file from hard drive to cd, rom and zip drives. The files show on all of the removable directories, however, they will not open. The 2012 FTM initialization appears and runs forever, but the file won't come up. I have nightmares about losing all my data if my hard drive crashes.

Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Unable to restore 2012 FTM file from removable media

Posted: 27 May 2012 10:23PM GMT
In what way are you trying to open the file? Double clicking the icon or from the file menu in FTM? If you haven't done so yet, try opening FTM, choosing "restore" and navigating to the file. I would also try moving the file from the backup media to your computer first.

Posted: 27 May 2012 11:46PM GMT
Try copying the .ftmb file to your hard drive then opening it with FTM from there

John D

Posted: 28 May 2012 10:37PM GMT
My *.ftm and *.ftmb files live permanently on an external hard drive, with no issues.

I do a full back up of FTM once a week, and move the previous week's back-up to a secondary external hard drive.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 5:27PM GMT
I tried several suggestions from the help desk--none of which worked. Then tried the restore suggestion and it did work, however, even with a different name on the file, it saved the file over my current file. Fortunately I had made a backup. I have never had issues prior to converting to 2012, but at least I can backup and restore thanks to your suggestions. Too bad I can't go back to 2006--I really regret leaving that version. Thanks again,

dbasile

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 12:36AM GMT
I think the issue here is you cannot open a file that's on read-only media like a CD. Your backups are safe, you just have to copy them over to a hard drive or some other form of writable media to be able to open them with FTM.

Anyway, I know you're working now and glad you're working now. I just thought I'd write this to make you less nervous about the usability of the backups you've been making.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions