Search for content in message boards

Multiple DNA Kit Sample Extraction Failures

Multiple DNA Kit Sample Extraction Failures

Posted: 4 Aug 2013 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello everyone,

I have been re-trying the DNA beta (autosomal DNA) test (that estimates your ethnic percentage) since June. My husband and I sent in our samples at the same time. He got his results back in less than 2 weeks, and I received the "we were unable to extract any DNA from your sample, and we are sending you a new kit" message, three times now. I am African-American, so I guess my question is: are other people of African descent having the same issue, or is anyone, for that matter, having this issue?

I am trying to understand how common or uncommon this situation is, because right now I feel like an alien or something lol. I even did some light research on how reliable saliva is and how it comapres to blood, and I've found out that there is just about as much DNA in saliva as is other body fluids/tissues.

The company received my last sample 2 days ago (8/2), so I am anxiously awaiting the results.

Also, I followed the directions perfectly. So, that wouldn't be the issue

**I also did the same type of test with 23 and me, and twice they said they could not find any DNA in my samples. After the second time, they just gave me a refund and said they cannot continue testing. **WEIRD**
In short, that would be a total of 4 times my DNA was not detectable in any of my samples.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Re: Multiple DNA Kit Sample Extraction Failures

Posted: 4 Aug 2013 8:44PM GMT
I'd suggest you post this same message to the board here at ancestry.com for this kind of issue:

DNA Research > DNA Ethnicity Result

Good luck, and from my experience, one should put an emphasis on the "beta" description of the test results. Good luck!

Posted: 5 Aug 2013 7:56AM GMT
From what I've heard, some people just don't seem to have luck with spit kits. 23andMe used to have a scraping option that you could order by telephone for a higher price, but I think they discontinued it? FTDNA only uses scraping, so you may have better luck there.

But hopefully the third time (here) will be the charm!

Posted: 5 Aug 2013 9:46AM GMT
I've heard of multiple failures on these tests, but I haven't heard of it being a AA issue. I'm AA and both Ancestry and 23andMe were able to process me on the first try.

I wish you good luck with your latest sample, but I'm not very hopeful. You can PM me if you like and we can discuss other options that might work better (I don't work for any of them, but this board doesn't like detailed discussion of tests other than their own).

Posted: 5 Aug 2013 6:57PM GMT
I have heard of problems with getting samples from spitting. I think I read some suggestions on the 23andMe site, but do not recall where.

Since you are mainly interested in the ethnicity part, you may also want to consider Genographic 2.0. It uses cheek swabs and the tests are done by FTDNA. See this blog for more information:

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/2012/07/25/the-genograp...

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 5:49PM GMT
I had three failures, but then I got one to work. I scraped the inside of my lower lip lightly with my teeth, and rubbed my tongue aggressively across my cheeks while doing the sample. That was to get cells from the lining of my mouth into the "soup."

By the way, I'm not AA, at least, not that I know!

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 11:27PM GMT
I did see recomendations like this, and the very last sample I sent in, I tried this method. I'm still waiting for the results, and I hope it works this time.

Thank you everyone for the insight.
Still waiting patiently...

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 3:59PM GMT
We had a failure on a test kit sent by a relative to Ancestry. We thought of two possibilities for the failure. The first was that toothpaste had been retained in her mouth early in the morning from brushing the night before. The second was that she didn't rub the inside of her mouth to loosen cells for her sample. When both factors were corrected for a second test, the sample was testable.

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 7:02PM GMT
I had to send in my test THREE times and my ancestry was finally determined to be 70% central european, 23% British Isles, and 7% unknown.

I doubt that it has anything to do with African-American ancestry. My husband's results came back immediately, 88% British Isles, 7% southern european and 5% unknown (and we though since his father was Puerto Rican, that he could possibly have some African blood.

I was most concerned with my 90 year old aunt's autosomal DNA test. Her results came back within 10 days of beginning processing.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic