Search for content in message boards

SPICER FAMILY IN DICKSON TENNESSEE-SPICER HOLLOW

SPICER FAMILY IN DICKSON TENNESSEE-SPICER HOLLOW

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: SPICER
Have been searching for many year for anyone that could help me to contact any "Spicer's" In SPICER HOLLOW. My Grandfather was from there and his mothers name was Queen Emily Spicer. If, anyone has any information please feel free to respond. Also, His wife was Anna Barnett Spicer.

Have been searching for many years, but was unable to get any help. He had seventeen children by my grandmother and his youngest 2 sons are still alive and the oldest surviving one would like to be able to visit where his father was born and spent his childhood.

Re: SPICER FAMILY IN DICKSON TENNESSEE-SPICER HOLLOW

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 12:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Your posting was put on The Master Genealogist board. This board is for users of The Master Genealogist computer program. I trust that the board administrator will move your query and my response to the Dickson County, Tennessee board.

If I understand your question correctly, you want to identify/contact any Spicer relatives of your grandfather who still live in Spicer Hollow (which I assume is in Dickson County, Tennessee).

I looked at your family tree online and dis some quick research on Ancestry and FamilySearch. You did not mention your grandfather's name, but I figured out that he was Nathan H. Spicer, born Jan. 1885.

From what I could determine quickly, it appears that your grandfather was the only child of Queen and her first husband or relationship, whose name was Spicer. Since Nathan lived in Ohio and his children were born there, I would not expect to find any of those Spicers living back in Tennessee. I assume you already know this.

Therefore, if you want to find Spicer relatives in Dickson County, you'll have to go back one generation further to Nathan's father. You do not have him identified on your family tree.

You had his mother listed as Queen Emily Spicer in your query and Queen Spicer Lewis in your family tree. Apparently her maiden name was Evans, so that should be the name you use in your family tree. If you want to research Queen's ancestry, then you should be working with the Evans name.

Queen Evans married Columbus Lewis in 1889 in Dickson County. They can be found on the 1900 and 1910 census there. In 1900, there is a boy listed as Zib? or Zeb, who was apparently Queen's son, but not by Columbus. This may be Nathan.

Nathan's marriage license in Franklin County, Ohio in 1913 gives his mother's maiden name as Queen Evans and his father's name as Hilliard Spicer.

I looked into Hilliard Spicer briefly. If I have the right man, he was born 1858/1860 and lived in Dickson County. I located him there in the 1870 census. Hilliard married Mary Henry in 1884. It appears that she was the mother of his children shown in the 1900 census, at which time Hillard was listed as widowed.

If this is the correct Hilliard Spicer, then I doubt that he and Queen were married -- or at least I could not find a marriage record for them. Since the birthdate found for Nathan was January 1885, that would make his birth only a few months after Hillard married Mary Henry. Obviously more research is needed on this matter.

If you find that I am correct in my identification of this Hillard Spicer as Nathan's father, then you should be able to identify his siblings and trace their decendants through (census records, obits, wills, burials, etc.), or trace some of the other children of Nathan. This may lead you to Spicers who still live in Dickson County.

I do suggest that you make an attempt to locate every person in all available records (especially census records) and attach those records to your Ancestry family tree. That will help a great deal in keeping track of what you know and what you need.

As for where your father spent his childhood, it was probably with the Columbus Lewis family, so you may need to investigate that further also.

As you do your research, keep your eye on the Find-A-Grave website. There are burials listed for many Spicer names in Dickson County. Some of these may be your relatives and may be buried very close to where they lived.

Good luck with your search.

Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions