Search for content in message boards

Catherine Mulrannan born 1852 Sligo

Catherine Mulrannan born 1852 Sligo

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 7:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Nov 2012 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: Mulrannan Mulrennan Coleman
Catherine (aka Kate) was my great great grandmother.
I am looking for info on her life before she came to the UK. The only thing I know about her origins is that in the UK 1881 Census she states her birthplace to be Sligo. She was born about 1852 and names her father as James Mulrannan on her marriage records. I'm thinking that the surname is misspelt as can't find any others maybe it was Mulrennan as they seem more common in the area. She married Patrick Coleman in Leeds in 1880.
this has been a brick wall for many years and any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Catherine Mulrannan born 1876 Sligo

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 9:50PM GMT
You've made a mistake on her birth year, I think.

I'd say you're correct on the spelling ie Mulrennan - spelling changed so much in the 19th century.

Griffiths Valuation has only one James Mulrennan in Sligo who is probably her father. However, records for that parish don't go back far enough to check her birth or parents marriage.

You could check with the Sligo Genealogy centre to see if they have any more records.

Also, does her husband have a Sligo connection too? There are Colemans in Sligo and many people emigrated and stayed among their own whilst living abroad. His history might provide some clues.

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: Mulrennan Coleman
Thanks very much and yes well spotted, the birth year was 1852.
Her marriage to Patrick (aka Patsy)Coleman took place in Leeds 1880 athough she has children born well before that. He states his bithplace as Roscommon, would that be likely. I don't know Ireland but gather that it's not far. I assumed that they probably knew each other before leaving Ireland.
Can I be sure that the James in GV is her father or could there be others?
How do I check with the Sligo Genealogy centre?

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 8:18PM GMT
irishroots.ie is the website to check baptism records, but there are big gaps in the records for Co Sligo.
The Sligo Genealogy and Heritage Centre have a website and email address - they're very helpful.

James in GV is probably her father but I would eliminate other possibilities first, namely search baptism records on irishroots.ie all over Sligo for a Catherine with father James around 1852.

In the 1901 census there are a few Mulrenin families - type in Mulr* in the search box and it comes up with variants.
It might be worthwhile searching these families backwards - I'd start with those families with James as the eldest son...possibly named after his grandfather - the James in GV. It's a long shot but this is the type of thing that sometimes works.

Did she have any siblings you know of? Maybe possible to find some clues in their records.

Any Coleman connection can only be possible if they lived in neighbouring parishes on the Sligo/Roscommon border. This happened in my family with couples born in two different counties but actually within a mile of each other.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic