Search for content in message boards

FTM 2011 - Help on how to delete relationships?

FTM 2011 - Help on how to delete relationships?

Posted: 31 May 2012 4:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hoping someone can help me, because I'm having no luck finding the answer myself. I have a woman in my tree who had several marriages listed to "unknown" people, and I've recently disproved those and have deleted the "unknown" person, but it still lists all those marriages. How do I delete that marriage? I've gone into the Facts page, and there's no delete option listed for the "Shared Facts with [Unknown]" anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Re: FTM 2011 - Help on how to delete relationships?

Posted: 31 May 2012 5:10PM GMT
Yeah, the software isn't very intuitive in this matter, but here's how to fix it. Select the person who is married to unknown. From the Person menu select "Attach/Detach Person" then select "Detach Selected Person". This will pop up a dialog box where you will remove the person from his/her connection to this phantom unknown person.

Posted: 31 May 2012 5:11PM GMT
I knew there was a way!! Thank you so much!! :D

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 10:25AM GMT
Thank you so much! It has been bugging me for a very long time!

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 6:08PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2013 6:09PM GMT
You will want to carefully review the family the selected person is attached to showing the "no spouse entered".

This "person" is often created by FTM when a child is attached to a single person as a parent. FTM has to have a couple as a set of parents - it can't handle single persons as parents.

If the screen at Attach/Detach > Detach show children in the house, you will want to exit that screen and go back and look at the children. In most cases, you will want to actually give the "no spouse entered" a name, such as "wife" , unknown wife", "first wife", "second wife", or whatever and not detach anybody.

In other cases, you may have added the child to a parent before you recorded their marriage. As a result, you may already have the mother / father as another wife / husband, and will need to detach the child from the wrong set of parents and attach the child to the correct parents.

Posted: 18 May 2013 2:09PM GMT
This approach isn't working for me. I cannot find the "detach person" option when I am viewing a person. I've got a son married to his father--crazy--and I cannot figure out how to remove the father from the "spouse" list. Interestingly, this error doesn't exist in my online tree. Deleting the father as a spouse was pretty straightforward there, but the change doesn't take hold in Family Tree Maker when I sync.

Posted: 18 May 2013 2:25PM GMT
I skipped 2011, going from 2010 to 2012, so I don't know that it is exactly the same as the attached screenshot, but it should be close.
Attachments:

Posted: 18 May 2013 7:15PM GMT
Near the top left of the screen you will see a line that reads
File Edit View Person Tools Help
Attach/Detach is under the Person tab.

Curt

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 5:19PM GMT
Thanks -- just what I was looking for. Appreciate the posting.

Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions