Search for content in message boards

William Douglas Rowsell

William Douglas Rowsell

Posted: 1 May 2012 3:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rowsell
I am looking for any and all information about the home, occupation, etc... of William Douglas Rowsell & Grace Lye Rowsell while they lived in Richmond, Utah. They lived in Richmond from approximately 1875 or 1876 to 1890 or 1891. (William's obituary says they lived in Richmond for 15 years) I am a descendant of Walter Rowsell through his daughter Leah Viola through Barbara Jean Spencer McFarlane..... I currently live in Richmond and would love to make some connections back to my past while I am living here. I have already searched the 1880 and 1890 census' with no luck. I am searching other dense histories of people that lived in Richmond for any mention of the Rowsell family in Richmond, but so far no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: William Douglas Rowsell

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:42AM GMT
Hi,

What you need to find is the Richmond or Cache County Directories. Have you checked with the Richmond Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum, 29 South 100 East, Richmond?

If they don't have them, contact the Cache Valley Historical Society, www.cachevalleyhistory.com/ .

Then I'd check with the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or the local Family History Center. Successful Searching!

Posted: 17 May 2012 5:01AM GMT
First, I see you've only posted twice on the Rootsweb Message system. When you post, it is very helpful to post some criteria information about the persons you seek. The date of birth of William and Grace might help locate them elsewhere or at least get a background of their movements. When I do research, I try to find if the poster had a posted family tree on the person, if not, I try to get a background of them.

--The Utah Pioneers Memorial Gallery Index Cards:
William Rowsell, born 1 Nov 1843, died 2 July 1916, born in Crewkerne, Somerset, England.
Grace Lye, born 25 April 1852 in Haazelberg, Somerset, England, died 21 April 1931.
Donor listed as a Jenill Rowsell Ivory.

The 1900 Census of West Jordan, Salt Lake Co, Utah
William, born Nov 1842 in England, immigrated 1870/Naturalized, farmer, married 36 years (1863/1864),
Grace, April 1853 in England, immigrated 1873, mother of 12/10 living.
--If they had been married 36 years, Grace would have been about 10/11 when they married. Eliza, daughter was born June 1883 in England, so if correct, this family (or just Grace) had either returned to England from the US, or they hadn't immigrated in 1870 and 1873. So, while the census does have a lot of errors, there might have been a break in residency. Charles, son, was born March 1885 in Utah. Of the 12 births, only five were shown in this 1900 census.

I find 8 posted family trees on William and Grace. One, "possibly" answers the length of marriage question. It shows William was first married to a Marcy Webber in 1864 in England, he married Grace Lye in 1875 in Salt Lake City. Frederik (as spelled), second son, was born Jan 1877 in Richmond. Daughter Rosina was born June 1877 in Somerset, England (while this date and Fred's birth date are inconsistent with reality). Eliza, as identified in England. Then Walter in 1879 in Richmond.
--The one problem with posted family trees is ERROR's. A LOT of them have incorrect data. So be very careful of using them without proper source material (actual documented records supporting the information).

The problem finding them in the 1880 census, different spelling of last name; the enumerator didn't find them at all, or they were not at home during the enumeration period. The problem with the 1890 census... Most of the census records were burned, there are no indicated records for census enumerations for Utah.

I checked the Bureau of Land Management land patent database for the last name and found no records. This database contains those records for federal land being sold or provided under the Homestead Act or other Congressional Land acts:
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx#searchTabI...

I seriously doubt there were City Directories published for Richmond in those years.

Since you live in Richmond, I'd suggest visiting the local county assessor's office and ask about their historic records. Usually the OLD records were hand printed in the "Big Books," large red volumes about 18" x 24" in size. If they do not have such old records, they could advise on potential locations. Property records of such nature might also be found in the State Archives.

Posted: 17 May 2012 2:18PM GMT
Thank you for your time spent in helping me with my inquiry and more importantly for the tools that you shared with me to further my search.
Sincerely,

Aaron G. Taylor

Posted: 17 May 2012 2:19PM GMT
Thank you for the tools you've suggested for me to use. I am going to check them out. Black and White Days in Richmond is this Saturday and they will be giving tours of the relic hall in Richmond and I might find someone there with information too. Thank you soo much for taking time to help me I really appreciate it!

Posted: 27 May 2012 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: Rowsell, Cleal, Lye
My name is Sharon Rowsell Warner. My grandfather was James Albert Rowsell, the eldest som of William Rowsell and Grace Lye. My grandfather was born in Richmond. I believe he was the brother of the Walter Rowsell you are searching as I used to hear my dad talk about Uncle Walt. I have some information on the family. If you can tell me what you want to know specifically, I would be glad to tell you what I know. I do know that Walter and James Albert were the sons of William Douglas Rowsell and Grace Lye. William came from Crewkerne England with his 1st wife, Mercy Webber and she died shortly after they arrived in Utah. They had a daughter, Rosina, who had a lot of records. William's parents were Douglas Rowsell and Ann Cleal of Crewkerne. Douglas was born sometime between 1791 and 1801 and Ann was born 1n 1808, the daughter of John Cleal and Elizabeth Lacey
Ann died in 1855 and Douglas died Oct.-Dec. 1880. They were married in 1828 at St. Bartholomews Parish,Church of England. William was one of the younger ones and his mother died when he was only 11. He had to go to work in a textile factory to provide his own food as Douglas was in prison at the time. Please write back if you want any more information. Sharon Rowsell Warner

Posted: 27 May 2012 4:13AM GMT
Thank you for contacting me Sharon. My connection is as follows: Me (Aaron George Taylor)>Brenda McFarlane Taylor (mom)>Barbara Jean Spencer McFarlane (Grandma)> Leah Viola Rowsell (Great Grandmother)> Walter & Alice Ann Cundick Rowsell> William Douglas & Grace Lye Rowsell> Douglas & Ann Cleal Rowsell> Samuel & Elizabeth Rowsell (no documentation for me on Sam and Elizabeth, just going by what New Family Search provides.
I really would love any stories you have or pictures you have of Walter & Alice Ann Cundick or Douglas & Cleal Rowsell. Thank you for sharing what you already have. Also if you have any contact information for another Rowsell descendant that may have more stories and or pictures I would be very thankful for anything you are willing to share. I reside at 94 South State Street in Richmond and would LOVE to find out where they lived while they were here but so far have not been able to do so.

Thank you soo much for contacting me.

Posted: 30 May 2012 1:17AM GMT
Aaron--I called my mother today. She is still living at 89 years of age in Montpelier, Idaho. She says she remembers Uncle Walt who was a very funny and nice person. She says that she and my dad stayed in Richmond one time with some neighbors of the William Rowsell family who were named Traveler. She says they lived in a 2-story house that was just off the highway on the left side as you were traveling from Preston to Logan and that the old Rowsell place was right by there. I do not know if that is or was still standing. Maybe the Traveler's have some descendants there who would remember. She said the Traveler's were old then and that would have been some time circa 1947. Mom says she met Walt and Alice, but does not have any pictures of them. They lived in Salt Lake. If you would like to E-mail me, my address is srwarner56@cableone.net. Good luck, my long lost cousin.

Posted: 30 May 2012 9:20PM GMT
My last note to you was in error. The Traveler home is on the opposite side of the street from what I told you. Mother says you can see it from the highway. Good luck.

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 4:29AM GMT
That's wonderful. It's more than I knew before you came along. Please tell your mom thank you. Here in Richmond there is an old abandoned looking two story house on the northwest corner of the intersection of main street and the highway at the light. I would guess this is the house your mom is referencing.
There is an old house directly across the street to the East that is now an old antiques house/business that is actually for sale. There is another house next door to the abandoned two-story house to the west that is a red brick rambler home. Thank you for your wonderful help. It's a start. I am going to get in touch with some Traveler's I know and see if they can help me. Thank you cousin. If I can be any help to you please don't hesitate to ask.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions