Search for content in message boards

Caudill history

Caudill history

Russell M. Caudill (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Caudill
Looking for Caudill's that came from Scotland and possible Clan connection. Heard that it is Campbell. Would appreciate any help.

Caudill/Caudle

Posted: 11 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 3:26AM GMT
The notion that the Caudills are kith and kin with the Campbells seems to be an old story. There are a bunch of Caddels/Cadells that originate in Argylshire,Sct. However, early VA records of Caudles don't indicate that they have any relationship with the Campbells who were politically powerful. IGI records at the LDS Family Center list a Stephen Caudle being christened 21 Nov 1688 at Withington, Gloucestershire, Eng. His father's name was Stephen and his mother Elizabeth.(batch #c032853). It can be assumed that Stephen was christened within a year or so of his birth. This would fit the generally accepted time of birth. It has been mentioned that his father's name was also stephen and that his mother was Elizabeth which also coincides. This isn't an absolute or final answer. It is my suggestion to anyone to be weary of information that is recorded in some LDS documents as I have found that when asking people about where they have gotten their information connecting Caudill with Scotland they have all said they saw it on the internet.

Re: Caudill/Caudle

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 7:08PM GMT
HI Richard,
Just a note here.....as to the Scotland origin of the Caudill's. My husbands Father told this story. His family dates back to Portugal [dates not sure], where they were Caudillio's, were shanghaied by the Spaniard's to work on their ships, ship wrecked north of Scotland, [probably mid 1600’s], mixed in with the Scots and became O’Caudill [hence the redheads, and there's a lot of them plus the dark-haired members]. They migrated to the USA in the early 1700's, where they dropped the O' and became just Caudill, from then till now. Settled in VA. then into NC, then back into VA., and thru the gap into KY. Many stayed there and are buried there, but my husbands family line went to north/eastern KY and settled for many yrs, then came to CA. during WWII to work in Navy shipyard and here they stayed and or buried here.
My email address is bernie1131@juno.com if you want any more info.

"Having trouble staying on the right limb
but still searching for family members out there.
Bernadetta La Verne Elliott/Faunce/France/Lyons/Evans/Caudill"
AKA "Bernie"
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions