Search for content in message boards

Annie Hart daughter of Michael Hart Co. Sligo

Annie Hart daughter of Michael Hart Co. Sligo

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 12:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Annie Hart born Co. Sligo 1850 - 1860 daughter of Michael Hart a mason, married Pvt John McDonnell of 2nd Btn Sussex Infantry in Galway in 1882. The family then moved to Cork where a daughter Mary was born and then to India where 4 more children were born. John McDonnell died of cholera in 1892 at Ferozepore. Annie Hart remarried to Thomas Molloy circa 1899 at Aldershot Hampshire. Seeking any information on this Hart family from Co. Sligo and living in Galway in the early 1880's.

Re: Annie Hart daughter of Michael Hart Co. Sligo

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 2:31PM GMT
There are 2 Hart's listed in the Sligo telephone book, both Ballymote. Address sufficient for mail delivery, no postal codes required.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie 1901/11

I couldn't find a listing for Michael Hart as a mason in the commercial directories.

Both Sligo and Galway belong to an Irish History Foundation with birth records before 1864. All records were Parish records until 1864 when civil registration commenced.You should be able to find a birth record for Annie Hart, father
Michael. A birth record would give you place/parish, date,
mother's name and maiden name.

Annette Code

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 10:54PM GMT
Been and done all this. Possible candidate is Anne Hart born of Michael Hart & Bridget Banks and baptised at Drumcliffe 27th December 1850. Annie did name a daughter as Bridget but I have no idea if this was just as if the name was as handy as anything else.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 12:59AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 1:11AM GMT
Re: If Anne had a daughter her parents names would be there
somewhere. If her mother name was Bridget then likely that is who she would be named after. In those days most names had family connections as rarely were other names used until the 1900's where you might find people using a name because they liked it not because it was a parents, uncle and aunts, grandparents, siblings name.

www.familysearch.org

Both have RC collection included in the record:
Martinus Hart born 30 Oct 1845, Drumcliff & Magherow, Sligo
Fa: Michael Hart and Brigida Banks

Anna Hart 27 Dec 1850 (I'm surprised there isn't another child between them)

Annette Code

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 4:31PM GMT
Annette it's all very tenuous in some respects. I only discovered her maiden name was Hart through a civil registration of her daughters birth to her second husband. Prior to this all registration of births & marriages was via the army register of BMD and these do not give the mothers maiden name or any detail regarding the mother whatsoever. On the 1901 census for Longmoor Camp she states categorically that she was born "Sligo, Sligo". Again - her age range is roughly 1850 - 1862 depending on which documentation you look at......Michael is the name of her father given on the civil registraion of her marriage in Galway but this has not been confirmed anywhere else...never mind - keep digging!

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:36PM GMT
I had a good feeling about that record for Annie.

Parts of Sligo at one point was part of Roscommon where you can find RC birth records back to the 1600's. No other county has this. I don't know how many parish priests didn't send their records to Dublin as requested by the then government.
Those that did most of the records were burned in the 1922 Four Courts Fire. Some priests copied out their parish records some just didn't send them in and that is why they survived.

Have you tried MILGENIRE (military genealogy ireland) a message board for the Irish Military. Sounds like you have all the Brit Army info and I don't know if the above would help or not.

Good Luck in your searching. Annette

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: Hart, Clancy, Healy
My hunch is that there may be no connection at all, since Hart seems to be fairly common. However, I am also seeking a Michael Hart, from the area near the tiny "town" of Lislary, parish of Ahamlish, Co. Sligo. There is some confusion about his wife, or possibly wives - either a Clancy, and/or a Healy. Married by late 1830's, or early 1840's. I know of children Patrick, Catherine, James, John and Michael J. Hart, most of whom eventually migrated to western PA. If you ever run across this Michael Hart, keep me in mind!

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:09AM GMT
Hi My fathers family is connected to the hart family will look up for you and let you know.regards Pat

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 7:19AM GMT
I agree - the connection is much too tenuous at this stage and Hart does seem to be a very common name up that part of the country. Good luck with your search - hope it turns out better than mine!

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 5:35PM GMT
Surnames: Clancy, Hart
Pat - I am curious about your user name - are you a Clancy, and if so, can you tell me your line? My great-grandparents were Clancys from Lislary, and I know that they had siblings and probably aunts and uncles who remained in Ireland (in addition to the three Clancys and various other assorted relatives who emigrated).

Annette Lynch
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions