Search for content in message boards

Can't re-link? Seriously? [SOLVED]

Can't re-link? Seriously? [SOLVED]

Posted: 31 May 2012 5:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 May 2012 8:23PM GMT
I had a hard drive failure and subsequently had to install FTM 2012 again once I put the new drive in place.
Fine, no problem... until I opened one of my trees, which I thankfully keep on a file server instead of my local drives. I open it, and see it's not linked to ancestry.com any more.
No problem, it's the exact same data right? So I'll re-link it. WRONG
Can't be done. I apparently have to re-download all 12 of my working trees from Ancestry and create completely new sets of files.
Are you kidding me? My current folder is over 10 gig worth of data, and now I have re-download all of that, because somebody didn't think that things like this might happen?
I'm glad linking exists to begin with, but it's been one buggy piece of junk after another for the last several versions, and now this time consuming pain in the rear.. they always eventually get things worked out, but I don't think I want to play bug tester for them anymore...

Re: Can't re-link? Seriously?

Posted: 31 May 2012 5:50PM GMT
Wait. You're unable to restore a linked tree from a backup? I thought you could do that.

Posted: 31 May 2012 6:00PM GMT
not according to the Help article, unless I'm mis-reading it.. it says you can't re-link unlinked trees.

In Ancestry.com it says it's still linked, but in FTM it's not. If there is a way to reconnect them without downloading all this all over again it would be nice...

Posted: 31 May 2012 6:03PM GMT
Suggest you call support.

Posted: 31 May 2012 6:36PM GMT
Yes, you can't relink a tree once it's unlinked, but if you're backup was made from a linked tree, then...well, that's where my assumption comes in. I assumed you could restore a linked tree from a backup. If I were at home, I'd create a sample tree and test it out for ya. I think silverfox's suggestion to call support is probably a good next step. Please report back what you learn.

Posted: 31 May 2012 7:01PM GMT
Just got off the phone with support, the answer was, unlink the tree in AMT, then redownload to link. Looks like I'm in for a long evening.
I do have backups that were linked, so I think I'll test your theory Marco, and see if it pans out. That may save some time at least.
I'll check in once that's done and let you know.

Posted: 31 May 2012 7:07PM GMT
Okay, that took less time than I thought, but the result was a negative.
I restored one of the trees from backup using File/Restore, but the result was the same as opening the original, still wants me to upload and link.

Off I go to unlink all the AMT's and reimport and link them... the small trees will go quick enough, but the larger ones will be awhile I suspect, based on the initial synching when i first got 2012.

Posted: 31 May 2012 7:50PM GMT
Instead of restoring from the backup FTMB file, try copying your backup of the original FTM file (.FTM NOT .FTMB). Then go to Users\AppData\Roaming\ and copy the whole FamilyTreeMaker directory to your new machine from wherever you have backed it up. This hidden directory contains the sync status for your files.

Now, I'm assuming you have backed up all your AppData files ...

Rosemary

Posted: 31 May 2012 8:05PM GMT
Rosemary,

I have to believe you are right on this, but my question is why can't support tell him that? Obviously there is a file somewhere that maintains the sync status. I don't think support has a clue on how to support this software.

Howard

Posted: 31 May 2012 8:29PM GMT
Thankfully that's what I did and just came back here to report...

The problem was, my HD was crashed, I had no access to the AppData folder, I had a new hard drive...
Thankfully I had a backup on the SAN and after poking around and redownloading a small tree (see the post above) I checked for changes, found it wrote to that folder and pulled that folder from backup. It looks like it's okay so far. First tree came up fine, testing the rest now

This sort of thing is okay for those who understand how these things work, but not everyone is going to be able to work this stuff out...

Thanks for the reply Rosemary, good to know someone else thought of it as well. Now, if the peeps at Support line just understood this... guess it's time to email them the solution...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic