Search for content in message boards

Margaret Curwin

Margaret Curwin

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
On the 1851 Census Margaret is married and living with her husband John Booth at 49, Netherend Penrith Cumberland.The census states that she was born in Manchester where as subsequent census' states Sligo Ireland. Any information on Margaret Curwen appreciated.

Re: Margaret Curwin

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 4:22AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2013 1:47PM GMT
Had a look at Griffith Valuation for Ireland 1846-1864 and surprisingly there are only 4 on property in all of Ireland. They are all in Tipperary South Riding (1850). In 3 Parish's Ardmayle, Ballysheehan & Gaile,
all are in the Poor Law Union of Cashel, no more than 12 mi. radius. (Co. Sligo is quite aways from Co. Tipperary N.riding)

However, both Sligo and Tipperary have their parish records on line, depending of course on the survival of parish records. It is a fee based but not for profit Irish History Foundation. You have a name that is unusual even if Margaret is common, You can search without a county. You must have a birth year or approximate one. I think it would be worth finding out. A parish birth record will give you mother and father's names and mother's maiden names, parish/place and
date.

Few other Curwin's 1795 Dublin Grant Book - Jane Curwin

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie dated 1820-1839:

Martin Curwin, Parish of Finglas, Townland Artaine N. Co. Dublin 1833.

1831 Tithe Defaulter - spelling Carwin in Co. Lough

It could be a matter of spelling? Ireland is famous for incorrect interpretations as most people couldn't write so who ever was keeping records spelled by the sound of the name. It was illegal at one time in Ireland to provide an education to an Irish catholic.

These are two UK census that identify born in Ireland persons.

The 1841 UK Census shows spellings of 16 Curwin, Carwin, Corwin, Karwin and Kurwin all born in Ireland
1871 UK Census same spellings and 17 born in Ireland.

Closest residence to Manchester was Liverpool and only 1 Margaret in the 1871 spelled Kurwin living in Birmingham, she and husband John are 53.

Annette Code

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 12:22PM GMT
I'd try 'Kirwan':

In the Tithe books, I see there are some in Mayo in the parish of Kilcolman which neighbours Sligo and I remember some issue in the 19th century with redrawing boundaries between Sligo and Mayo?
Worth checking that out.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:54AM GMT
Thank you for your reply I will check this out.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:56AM GMT
Thank you for this very helpful. I will be checking these records out.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions