Search for content in message boards

Ballysadare Fergusons, Merediths

Ballysadare Fergusons, Merediths

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 11:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ferguson/Meredith
Is anyone researching Fergusons from Ballysadare?

Re: Ballysadare Fergusons, Merediths

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 6:15AM GMT
I am not researching these families just wondered if you had seen the Griffith Valuation from 1857, where 6 Fergusons lived in Ballysadare Parish and 7 Meredith's of the same Parish.

Thomas Meredith owns land IN FEE totalling 331 Acres and renting or leasing out land and houses, in the Townland of Cloonamahon in the Parish of Ballysadare. Henry Meredith is one of his renters.

Also in Cloonacurra Townland is John Ferguson.

www.askaboutireland.ie for further details.

Tithe Applotments 1820-1839 www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

1901/1911 Census: www.census.nationalarchives.ie

It doesn't appear there are any Meredith's in Sligo's telephone book. 2 Ferguson's.

If Meredith had an 'estate' you could look in
www.landedestates.ie

www.irelandxo.ie
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+County
www.igp-web.com + County

I have an old CD set that the Latter Day Saints used to sell but now unavailable. The dates are 1864-1875 only. If you have anyone who fits in those dates I can look them up.
Also Church of Ireland marriages 1845-1862 are on the CD

www.familysearch.org

Annette Code

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 11:10AM GMT
Thanks very much for that. I'm researching my ancestor Meredith Duke Ferguson who was born in Sligo in 1797 and joined the 33rd foot regiment when he was 21. I believe the names Meredith and Duke could be family names.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 1:47PM GMT
I would agree on the family names as often children took on as forenames their mother's maiden name as well as handing down names. Its also possible there was a Duke in the family at one time and the family liked it as a first name.
You can look up Peerage-Ireland, Debretts and other such like websites.

You could try googling Registry of Deeds-Ireland
as this is where you might find records of land, mortgages, marriage settlements etc. Look for freepages.genealogy.rootsweb etc. you can search by family name. I'm not going to type them out but the name Meredith and Ferguson are listed.
there as gentlemen and esquires, some for Dublin but keep in mind these folks would have homes in Dublin for the
social season as well as their properties in the counties.

Military records - follow the link on the website for
the National Archives, Kew, London - now records are on a pay website.

MILGENIRE, Military Genealogy Ireland, a sharing board for
military

A website for RC baptisms for Sligo and Ballysadre/Kilvarnet
is showing baptisms from 1842-1899 and marriages from 1858.

Church of Ireland (as most of those who own land were) has only 1 parish of 25 in Sligo with records from 1762 (Emlefad & Kilmorgan) the remainder after 1800. Also Ballisodare (as spelled) has no Church of Ireland records.

This could mean there are few records for Ballisodare or that the Foundation has never collected these for their database. You can contact the Representative Library of the Church of Ireland in Dublin, they are online, and look for their parish records. Over 1/2 of the CofI records in Ireland were burned in the 1922 Four Courts fires.

A website that can tell you from the Griffith Valuation where you will find the surnames Ferguson and Meredith, one of the counties listed was Sligo. The others, Armargh, Belfast, Cork, Down, Dublin/Dublin City.

Good luck in your search, Ireland is difficult at best.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic