Search for content in message boards

JOHNSTON, MANNION, LYNCH, MCDERMOTT

JOHNSTON, MANNION, LYNCH, MCDERMOTT

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JOHNSTON, MANNION, LYNCH, MCDERMOTT
Hi,

Looking for living connections in Sligo for a friend, whose grandmother's sister, Bridget JOHNSTON (b. 1896), married Bernard MANNION (b. abt 1890) in 1930. Bridget's parents were Peter and Anne (MCDERMOTT) JOHNSTON. Bernard's parents are unknown to me.

Bridget and Bernard had at least six children: John, b. 1931; Mary, 1932; Bernard, 1934; Benedict, 1935; Peter, 1937; and Anne, 1938. We have no more information about these children and would like to know if any are still alive and living in Sligo; we would appreciate learning about the existence of any of their children in Sligo, too, and making contact with them, as well.

These Johnstons were associated with the townland of Corhawnagh near Ballysadare. Peter and Anne had five children: Mary Kate, b. 1894 (emigrated in 1913 to NYC, never married, died in abt. 1980); my friend's grandmother Elizabeth Anne, 1895 (emigrated to Youngstown, OH, in 1912, married John Johnston, also said to be from Sligo--they went to Owensboro, KY, about 1919, Elizabeth Anne died in 1968); Bridget, 1896; John, 1898; and Peter, 1900 (emigrated, too, said to have come to the US, but I found him crossing over from Ontario, CAN in 1935 but not returning--no trace before or after that).

John, who stayed in Sligo, married Kathleen LYNCH and had several children, as well: Peter, b. 1929; John, 1932; Edward, 1936; Anthony, 1939; Vincent, 1941; Anne, 1943; and Carmel, 1946.

Other Johnstons, particularly from Streamstown very near Corhawnagh, may be related to this family. On the SS Mauretania in 1912, both Elizabeth Anne and another Johnston, Thomas of Streamstown, came to Youngstown, OH. We suspect they were cousins, though it may have been a coincidence as there is no more crossing of paths that we can find. I have mostly scoured the LDS film for the parish of Ballysadare/Collooney baptisms (1845-1880) and marriages (1855-1880) and have not discovered the connection between the Streamstown and Corhawnagh Johnstons. That's not to say there isn't one. Hope springs eternal, etc., etc.

We would greatly appreciate any insight into these folks.

Regards,
Jeanne

Re: JOHNSTON, MANNION, LYNCH, MCDERMOTT

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 2:10PM GMT
There are about 30 Mannion's in the telephone book for Sligo. Match up your place names with addresses, for instance a Mannion in Collooney. There are 13 Johnston's out of the 151 the phone books suggests. (For some reason the phone book will include any one whose first or last name begins with J) Also 25 McDermott's and 15 Lynch, addresses given are sufficient for mail delivery.

One of the Mannion's is named Dermott Mannion, there is a Padraig (Peter?)

Outline what you know in a letter, photocopy and mail to a few in the pertinent areas. You can do this while you wait to be contacted through the message board. Stamps are
inexpensive genealogy.

You can find births, marriages and deaths after 1864
on the website www.familysearch.org (up to 1950's)

There is also a website that Co. Sligo belongs to a History Foundation with Parish records if you need one.
I have a CD set from the Latter DAy Saints - no longer available with births from 1864-1875 and also
Church of Ireland marriages 1845-1862. If anyone fits I can look them up.

Annette

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: JOHNSTON, MANNION, LYNCH, MCDERMOTT
Annette, I believe it is true that great minds think alike. The day I read this reply of yours, I had just returned from the post office mailing out five likely "suspects" of Johnstons and Mannions I had located using eircom.ie and google earth to zero in on place names all the better. This is the method by which I located my own cousins several years ago. When all else fails, I am a firm believer in educated guesses.

Padraig is Patrick, pronounced Paw-rig.

I thank you for your offer, but I don't know if you have anymore info than I already have access to. I use familysearch.org for transcriptions from the indices of Civil Registration and their collection called Irish Births and Baptisms that go back further, including Protestant baptisms. I also have a subscription to ancestry.com, US version.

Meanwhile, I am still hoping someone on here who lives locally to Corhawnagh will spot this post and contact me.

Thanks again for your reply!

Posted: 7 Mar 2014 10:56AM GMT
Hi Jeanne,

I am Mannion from Sligo ... with relations from Ballisodare...

My dad was ( passed away 5 yrs ago ) Peter Dennis Mannion from Streamstown Ballisodare... I think he would have been Bernard Mannions Son.... he also had siblings Frank Tony Benny Bridie Anna and Vera...

I have also in the past heard about Johnstons in Ballisodare...

i'll chat with my mum and if she can shed any light on your quest i'll mail u back later

best regards from Sligo

Marie Mannion -Finnegan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions