Search for content in message boards

feeneys

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Any Feeneys from Sligo on here. My grandfather came over to America in 1926. James G Feeney?

Re: feeneys

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:52PM GMT
my 3rd G Grandmother was Mary Feeney from Sligo. She was born 1787 and died in Middlesex Co, Massachusetts in 1883. Do not have info on her parents. She married Andrew Coggins/Cogans who must have died prior to her coming to the US about 1864.

The info I have on the Coggins...Parish of Easkey...

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 7:42PM GMT
My grandparents were married in the parish of Easky.There may be a family connection. I have their marriage and birth certificates and naturalization papers.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 4:07PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 11:57PM GMT
there is a precedence that they named their children after particular family - parents, grandparents etc.

My Mary Feeney Coggins came with her son Thomas. Thomas and his wife - Ellen Finnerty [or Fenaghty]named their children :
Andrew [his father], Nellie [her mother], Patrick, Mary, Martin, Timothy [Thadg,my G Grandfather- have his birth reg in Ireland], Ellen, Winifred, John Thomas.

So I figure some are after Coggins but some are probably after the Feeney family....

Thoughts?

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 1:10AM GMT
Surnames: Feeney, Clancy, Moffitt
I have a Feeney connection to Co. Sligo. Owen Feeney, son of Patrick Feeney of Drumcliff, married 21 Jan. 1805, Catherine Freel, dau. of John Freel. Daughter Bridget married John Clancy of Lislary, parish of Ahamlish, by the late 1840's. Son Philip Feeney married Ellen Moffitt of Lislary, 24 Jan. 1842. Two of their daughters - Kate and Nora Feeney, migrated to Meadville, PA, in the late 1880's to join various family members already here.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 6:07PM GMT
Allyn I have recently connected with a second cousin on the Feeney side of my family that has an Owen Feeney Posted on their tree. So there may be a connection. I only heard my word of mouth from my father that we had some distant relatives in PA. My father has passed away so I can not call him. The Feeneys are from Sligo.The question whose answer may confirm our connection is who is Owen Feeney related to? What are his Childrens names? If the names matchmy cousin it may be the same family.If you have that let me know. It seems each branch of the family has a piece of information that they know. We do have some of the same family names so it may be a match. Looking forward to your response. John Feeney

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: Feeney, Clancy, Moffitt
As I said in my first post, the only two children of Owen Feeney which I know of are: son Philip, daughter Bridget, although I would suspect there were others. Owen was the son of Patrick Feeney of Drumcliff.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 7:16AM GMT
Alyn even though we have an Owen in our tree I do not believe he is the same. Our family is from the area surrounding Culleens which is southwest of Drumcliff in Sligo. There are more than 2 children too. I am not sure if our Owens' birthplace but most of our family that we do know of comes from the Culleens area. So it is likely that our Owen is from there too. But I do not know for sure. We do not have all the info yet on ancestors that far back. we are working on it.Thank you for writing maybe we will find some connection in the future. All my best to you John Feeney

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:16PM GMT
John... what was the DOB of you Easky Feeney? Am wondering if perhaps it is a brother of mine...

You said you have birth certificates? Is this from US born Feeney's? Have you found anything in Ireland?

Laurie

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 2:12PM GMT
john

if your grandparents where married in Easkey how are the connected to Drumcliffe ? there is a Culleens is beside Easkey
my maternal side of the Family are Feeny from Owenbeg Easkey
near Culleens and across the road was an Owen Feeny might be your ancestor

regards

joe
per page

Find a board about a specific topic