Search for content in message boards

Photos not showing in Ancestry tree

Photos not showing in Ancestry tree

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 1:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I spent several hours adding new photos to my FTM2012 family tree and then when I was finished working on that tree I synced it to the Ancestry tree. When I opened the Ancestry tree my new photos are on there but they can not be seen. It has the name of the photo but the photo is just an icon (b/w collage of various items). The photos I already had on Ancestry are viewable but not the newly posted ones. This same icon showed up a couple days ago on the Ancestry Member Connect page where the member photo is usually at. What's wrong.

Re: Photos not showing in Ancestry tree

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 9:47PM GMT
If you click the generic icon, does it bring up the photo? In the past, I've seen instances where the media never seemed to load, and the generic placeholder image came up when I clicked on the generic icon. However lately, when I see the generic placeholder icon for a media item I've recently synched up to my AMT, it brings up the actual media image when I click it. Sometimes the thumbnail stays generic even when the image is accessible for some reason.

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 10:46PM GMT
The generic image is intended to be a placeholder while media is transferring. If the media has all been processed, and there are no errors to deal with, then if the generic image is still there, it's because the sync broke. Unfortunately, that's still happening to a lot of us.

Please document what you're seeing with screenshots and attach them to an email to support@ancestry.com with the request that they be forwarded onto the developers.

Once you've done that, you've got to manually fix all the stuff that didn't transfer. Unfortunately, that essentially means deleting each instance and putting it back onto the tree.

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 11:06PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I think maybe it was my fault. I may not have let the media sync before I left the tree. I just went back to the FTM and it was syncing the media, when it finished my photos were there on Ancestry.

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 5:57AM GMT
I am having the same problem. Left my computer on for 24 hours as the media was still processing from my computer. Still getting the icon on Ancestry tree and not the documents or photos which should be there. When clicking on the image it still shows the icon.

Computer has been shut down previously after sync, and the media still showed as processing on my FTM when I turned it back on.

Think it is still more of a problem with FTM treesync, and it still has bugs that were not addressed with the new patch.

Gail

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 6:39AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jun 2012 6:41AM GMT
Gail,

If your media is still being processed, then you should expect to see the generic placeholders until it's all done. That's the way it's supposed to work. TreeSync is also designed to resume any incomplete media transfers. This means that you don't have to leave your computer running overnight or worry what might happen if your connection is interrupted. FTM, each time you run it, will keep working on the media transfers until it's all complete. What you're experiencing is supposed to happen. Only after it's all done should you check your media (on both sides) to make sure that it all transferred correctly, as there are usually a few errors, especially if you have a lot of media items.

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 6:50AM GMT
Hi Marco, Should have mentioned this was done over a week ago and still the icon is showing. Been twiddling my fingers waiting and waiting. They did show up briefly today, then went back to the icon. So they are there somewhere:)

I do not want to have to do these manually, as that is what the treesync feature is supposed to do for me.

Gail

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 6:52AM GMT
Gail, but you said that your media is still processing. You just have to wait till it finishes before the generic placeholders will go away.

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 7:12AM GMT
Yes it still was processing a week ago, there were only eight new items. Stopped processing about Sunday last from computer. Still not showing on Ancestry, only briefly this morning then back to icons.

Have been working on my tree this week and I have been reluctant to sinc the tree again until the new media shows on my Ancestry tree.

Gail

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 7:23AM GMT
If the processing has completed and you're still seeing the generic placeholder images, then they didn't transfer. I recommend that you document it with screenshots and send them to support@ancestry.com. Then I'd delete the eight items and add them again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions