Search for content in message boards

HUNNICUTTS IN GRAVELLY

HUNNICUTTS IN GRAVELLY

Posted: 1 Mar 2002 3:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HUNNICUTT, HONEYCUTT
LOOKING FOR THE PARENTS OF FAMOUS CHARACTER ACTOR, ARTHUR L. HUNNICUTT WHO WAS BORN IN GRAVELLY IN 1910 AND DIED IN 1979. I AM ATTEMPTING TO TRACK HIS FAMILY BACK TO OUR FAMILY WHO MIGRATED TO ARKANSAS IN THE EARLY 1800'S. ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Re: HUNNICUTTS IN GRAVELLY

Donna Chism (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2002 11:59PM GMT
Hey just read your posting and I may have some of the info you are looking for. I am related to the Hunnicutts. Please send me an e-mail with what exactly it is that you want and I will try to get it to you as soon as I can. I am not gauranteeing that it will be in a day or so because I am a full time student at UALR and I work full time and i have 2 children. Send an e-mail and I will do some searching for ya
Donna Wilson-Chism

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 8:43PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2002 7:16PM GMT
Donna, looking for information on Rev. G.W. Hunnicutt who was in charge of burial of my Great grandfather, Rev. W.M. Mungle at Danville. Other than Baptist, can you tell me what church he pastored and what he did within the Dardanelle Association? I'm trying to find out if my ggrandfather worked for him as Asst. Pastor. Any info appreciated.

Posted: 19 May 2002 3:08AM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2004 8:31AM GMT
I believe this is the Hunnicutt family who came from Chrokee Co. Georgia. William Tatum Wofford Brooke died in a car crash while riding with a Rev. Hunnicutt. This could be the same one you mentioned. The Hunnicutts have been mentioned in some of the Brooks family correspondence as they were neighbors in both Georgia and Arkansas.

Charlene Holland (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2002 9:20PM GMT
Ancestors of Arthur Lee Hunnicutt

Generation No. 1

1. Arthur Lee Hunnicutt, born 1910 in Gravelly, Arkansas; died 1979 in ? buried at Coop Prairie Cemetery at
Mansfield, Arkansas. He was the son of 2. Wesley Cody Hunnicutt and 3. Della Snipes. He married (1) Pebble
Pauline Lile.

Generation No. 2

2. Wesley Cody Hunnicutt, born June 3, 1876 in Arkansas1,2; died April 21, 1962 in Arkansas, buried Young
Gravelly Cemetery in Yell County. He was the son of 4. James [John?] Wesley Hunnicutt and 5. Millia Ann Cagle.
He married 3. Della Snipes Bet. 1899 - 19003.
3. Della Snipes, born September 30, 1879 in Arkansas; died September 4, 1945 in Arkansas, buried Young Gravelly Cemetery in Yell County.

Children of Wesley Hunnicutt and Della Snipes are:
i. Julian Hunnicutt, born about 19004; married Thula T. Harris Aft. 1968.
ii. Arthur Lee Hunnicutt, born 1910 in Gravelly, Arkansas; died 1979 in ? buried at Coop Prairie
Cemetery at Mansfield, Arkansas; married Pebble Pauline Lile.
iii. Eugene Hunnicutt, born about 1903.
iv. Frances Hunnicutt, born about 1905.
v. Alvin "Uncle Bill" Hunnicutt, born Aft. 1910.

Generation No. 3

4. James [John?] Wesley Hunnicutt5, born September 1, 1833 in North Carolina. He was the son of 8. Jess Hunnicutt and 9. Sarah Wilbanks. He married 5. Millia Ann Cagle.
5. Millia Ann Cagle.

Child of James Hunnicutt and Millia Cagle is:
2 i. Wesley Cody Hunnicutt, born June 3, 1876 in Arkansas; died April 21, 1962 in Arkansas, buried Young Gravelly Cemetery in Yell County; married Della Snipes Bet. 1899 - 1900.

Generation No. 4

8. Jess Hunnicutt. He married 9. Sarah Wilbanks.
9. Sarah Wilbanks.

Children of Jess Hunnicutt and Sarah Wilbanks are:
i. Eight other Hunnicutt children, born Bef. 1830.
4 ii. James [John?] Wesley Hunnicutt, born September 1, 1833 in North Carolina; married Millia Ann
Cagle.
iii. Jesse Randolph Hunnicutt, born October 28, 1839 in Walhalla, South Carolina; married (1) Irene Laduskia Cagle; married (2) Laura J. Porter.

Source notes

1. "Scott County, Gateway to the West" by O. Alden Smith, 9? [my note: there is no #8 listed. typo?] Wesley Cody Hunnicutt ( June 3, 1876) (April 21,1962) md. Della Snipes (Sept. 30, 1879 - (Sept. 41 1945). Cody taught school at several locations. They made their home in Gravelly at the former HOTEL WILSON which was made into a residence. Their children were, Gene Hunnicutt; Julian Hunnicutt;Frances Hunnicutt; Arthur Lee Hunnicutt,of movie fame; and Alvin Hunnicutt, referred to even as a child by the nickname "Uncle Bill"..
2. 1910 Census, Yell County, Gravelly Twp with wife, Della, sons Jullian [10] , Eugene [7], daughter, Frances Millie? [5] and Arthur Lee, looks like 1/12.
3. 1910 Census, marriage years are nearly illegilble, looks like 11 but may be is 7?, but he is shown with his parents in 1900, so.
4. Yell County Cemeteries, New Bethel Cemetery, Yell County, Arkansas -- Hunnicutt, Julian O. 9 Feb 1900 12 Sep 1985.
5. "Scott County, Gateway to the West" by O. Alden Smith, pages 96-98 gives info on this family.

I have a .jpg copy of Arthur Lee Hunnicutt's obit, if anyone is interested in a copy and can take a jpg attachment.

My father was well acquainted with Arthur, as he was a cousin, and also Arthur taught him in school. Thula Harris whose second husband was Julian Hunnicutt, was the sister of my grandmother, Ollie Harris Morrow.

Charlene

Posted: 26 Mar 2010 3:04AM GMT
Surnames: Hunnicutt
My name is Stephen, I am the grandson of Troy Hunnicutt who is the son of Wesley Cody Hunnicutt. I have never met any of my grandfathers family except his twin brother. Anyone of my grandfathers family can send me an email to me at my station ssaint@thecuttingedge1019fm.com. I will be soon building a page dedicated to Arthur and Pauline..

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Gillum, Swaim, Williams, Hunnicutt, Harmon
My father Bobby Joe Gillum was related to Arthur Lee Hunnicutt. Dr. Arthur Gillum of yell county I've heard my father speak about, seen the old home place in Rover Arkansas.
My dad is gone now, I wished I had asked him more questions on our family.

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 7:39AM GMT
I am the great-gr.son of Ofelia(sp)Hunnicutt-Cowger who was sister to A.Lee's dad. My gr.gr. mother married J.I.Cowger,my gr. father was Cleo Cowger of Danville.I'm 59 and met A.Lee more than once at my gr.gr.mothers house in Danville.I talked to Pebbles when she lived in L.R.about 1998. She told me Cleo intro her to A. Lee.I am trying to research my past for me and my son. I still have a lot of searching to do. I have a few very old pictures.Please stay in touch. You can call me at 501-679-6588, cell 328-7627,or write 23 Old Texas Rd. Quitman, Ar. 72131

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 12:36AM GMT
Surnames: Hunnicutts
Cowger, James Ira
James Ira Cowger, 79, civic leader, pharmacist and farmer, who formerly was a teacher and at one time Yell County School Supervisor, died at the clinic here Saturday. After he left the teaching profession, he was in the mercantile business in Gravelly before moving to Danville in 1920. Soon afterwards he opened the Cowger Drug Store. He was a deacon in Danville Baptist Church and a Sunday school teacher.

In addition to his widow, Mrs. Ophelia Cowger of Danville, he is survived by three sons, Cleo of Danville, J. I. Jr. of Abilene, Texas, and E. L. of Fabens, Texas; four daughters, Mrs. R. C. Parks of Belleville, Miss Vivian Cowger of Danville, Mrs. Roy McNeal of Nimrod and Mrs. R. B. Mills of North Little Rock; a brother, Will of Wyandotte, Mich. and three sisters, Mrs. Mary Jane Hudson of Ft. Smith, Mrs. Fronia Tinsley and Mrs. Lydia Smith of Paris.

Funeral services were conducted in Danville Baptist Church at 2:30p. m. Monday by the Rev. John A. Freeman and the Rev. Charles Finch. Burial was in Danville Cemetery. (YELL COUNTY RECORD, 50 Yrs Ago, Danville, Arkansas - Originally published on Thursday, September 30, 1948)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions