Search for content in message boards

Any updates regarding Wholly Genes' plans for its database?

Any updates regarding Wholly Genes' plans for its database?

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 3:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Oct 2013 3:50AM GMT
It’s way past time for me to throw in the towel on Ultimate Family Tree. It has served me well but the technology is ancient, it’s been years since UFT had vendor support, and it does not run on current versions of Microsoft Windows. Feature-wise, TMG seems to be the best match to my needs.

My question: Does anyone have information about whether Wholly Genes' plans to replace Visual FoxPro (which Microsoft announced in 2007 that it will be discontinued)? Unless Wholly Genes is going to convert TMG’s database engine to Microsoft Access, dBase or something similar in the near future, I’ll be back where I am now with software that is behind the times and losing ground.

I have done numerous searches and can’t find anything about how they intend to address this problem.

Re: Any updates regarding Wholly Genes' plans for its database?

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 4:58PM GMT
not sure how it is different (both seem to be on Rootsweb?) but have you tried the "forum" here:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/TMG

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 2:13AM GMT
Foxpro is a better db manager than access. Tmg is still using 1994 interface standards.

Posted: 6 Feb 2014 4:24PM GMT
Let's not get into holy wars here. The question was if the database was going to be updated to one that is currently supported and runs under current operating systems.

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 10:42AM GMT
just noticed this post, hope its not too late. Changing database is an important decision and can be very time consuming and time wasting if done wrong - WG/ tmg (probably like other vendors) are notorious for not giving time scales. It took them far too long to fix a problem where many reports could not be produced on Vista/ Win7. Whilst the database is slow, it has very powerful reporting options. I've just been looking round and to me the 3 viable modern flexible consistent forward looking programs are (in this order for my needs, but yours might be different):
1. Family Historian - very very fast, powerful reports, real time trees, good user group with lots of user written plugins.
2. Rootsmagic - very fast, good user group with lots of user written plugins, reports lacking for me, but rumours of a rewrite in this area.
3. Legacy - fast, very up to date, easy to use.

Hope that helps

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 12:28PM GMT
Susan,

The question here is about the underlying Database Management System (call FoxPro), not the software called TMG. FoxPro the Database Management System (aka DBMS) is a Microsoft product and was discontinued in 2007. The FoxPro DBMS does not support UNICODE which means it does not support characters beyond the English language. It also does not support, multiple CPUs and all available memory in modern computers. These may or may not be issues for the average person.

So to make sure we understand the question, the "database" is not TMG but FoxPro. All of the programs (application) you listed have an underlying DBMS that is not their own. Most use some other Microsoft offering most likely Microsoft SQL Server Express, or the older "JET" or "MSDE". These DBMS are SQL based and support better internationalization and more modern computers with larger hard drives and memory.

In my view FoxPro will, at some point, stop working or have major issues with something related to the Windows operating system or the hardware it controls. Be it drivers for printers, CPU instruction set, video cards, etc. I was looking for new software for my company and one very good offering was built on the FoxPro DBMS, and I will not touch that software because I would not trust my data to an old unsupported DBMS.

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 3:07PM GMT
thanks for that further detailed insight. Sounds worse than I thought, but in time most things will become obsolete, hence my comments for future looking programs. A further problem with many genealogy databases is portability, with my TMG database, I have always been very careful to ensure I did not use functions I could not export intact via GEDCOM, not only for future change of program, but also to share and on sites like Rootsweb trees. (I hate to say this but Ancestry.com trees are a waste of time regarding keeping your data intact, they have never accepted text/notes from event fields, even from their own syncable FTM), but that is another story. My top suggestion was Family Historian, and one of the reasons was its claimed 100% GEDCOM compatibility, so that at any point I should be able to move easily.

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 6:19PM GMT
I would love to see what Family Historian really means by 100% GEDCOM compatible. Compatible and "Using All GEDCOM v 5.5.1 tags" are two different things. I am a very heavy GEDCOM user. Using tags that FTM, RootsMagic, PAF, Legacy and others never heard of.

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 6:32PM GMT
Because the latest official version of GEDCOM was 5.5, Family Historian does not use 5.5.1, I think the reason being that there were a few different flavours which would cause confusion. I have started using it partly because of the GEDCOM compatibility, but lots of other reasons, but an added bonus, and even if not perfect it is probably the only software to be anywhere near 100%. It saves it's database as a GEDCOM file and is amazingly fast. You can also use it as a simple GEDCOM file reader and it will try to correct errors. They are keen on the 100%, so why not try out the 30 day free trial (no plugins I'm afraid, pity as that is a major feature) and see if you can break it, I'm sure Calico Pie and the FHUG (user group) would love to hear your results.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions