Search for content in message boards

pops lost wife

pops lost wife

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 5:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hannah Rose Brown/Browne born 1883 died 1901 said was in a house fire she was from TAS? My pop was Walter Edmund Soutter. They had 2 sons, pop ent on to marry Bertha Elizabeth Hornsby. Can anyone help please

Re: pops lost wife

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 12:30AM GMT
Hi,
There is not much information on them in the indexes other than she was NOT deceased by 1901.

Harold Leslie SOUTTER was born to parents Edwin Walter Soutter & Rose Hannah BROWN in 1908 Brighton Victoria so that rules out her death in 1901.

there is no marriage record that I could locate for Rose Hannah & Edwin / Edmund / Walter (as he is listed in the indexes)
I note that Edmund Walter Soutter married in 1918 to Bertha Elizabeth Hornsby and had a fair few children and lived in Mildura.

You mentioned that Walter & Rose Hannah had 2 sons.. Harold can be located who was the other one ?

Rose Hannah's birth is not listed in either Victoria or Tasmania.

HOWEVER... I did locate a coroners Inquest for a Rose Anna BROWN 1973 "clothing caught fire"
Is there any further info you can provide so that I can look further ?
Do you have the marriage certificate of Walter & Bertha Hornsby ?

Debbie.

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 3:34AM GMT
Hi Debbie, Well thats interesting, some family say pop never married Rose? and other child was joseph(joe) walter soutter 1909-1951. Also pops name Edwin walter? we have him Edmund on the grave and i have nan and pops marriage cert it says pop was widower.. Now Rose must have died about 1910 or afterThanks Sandra

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 4:02AM GMT
I believe you may be right.. hey may not have married.

Joseph died in 1951 aged 38 making his birth c 1913.. no birth found.. not Brown or Soutter or any given combination.
Harold the eldest son and Joseph the youngest..

This is a marriage entry for a Rose Hannah Brown to Mark Milne in that time frame.. as it happens... the Rose anna Brown that died when her clothing caught fire is the mother of this Rose Hannah Brown that married Mark Milne. coincidence ??
Debbie.

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 4:03AM GMT
I believe you may be right.. hey may not have married.

Joseph died in 1951 aged 38 making his birth c 1913.. no birth found.. not Brown or Soutter or any given combination.
Harold the eldest son and Joseph the youngest..

This is a marriage entry for a Rose Hannah Brown to Mark Milne in that time frame.. as it happens... the Rose anna Brown that died when her clothing caught fire is the mother of this Rose Hannah Brown that married Mark Milne. coincidence ??
Debbie.

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 6:24AM GMT
Hi Debbie, what a mixup. Pop actually married nan illegaly?? Now will have to find if she had any more children and how many toMark Milne. Its a wonder no family has tried to catch up with nan and pops family. Always thought pop was dodgy in many ways. He was an alcholic and his son my dad had to always pull him out of the pub when i was aliitle girl, always remember that. Nan had a hard life too. So the search gos on. Will keep in touch might need more help thanks Sandra

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 7:05AM GMT
debbie,just a thought, pop ended up with the two boys to bring up,could they come from a relationship to Rose Hannah Brown, as she married Mark Milne in 1908, and pop 1807? if they married This is all so confussing to me. Nan must have known about this and went to her grave not telling a soul. My mum had hinted to me things were strange, but never told me anything, now she has passed on.

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 8:29AM GMT
Hi,
I note in the indexes that A Rose Hannah Brown married mark Milne, I really dont know if this is THE Rose Hannah Brown or another person. The fire story makes me think it is a co incidence.. as her mother Rose Anna Brown (nee Atkins) died a similar fate in 1925.

The strange part to me is the fact that there is no marriage to be found for Rose Hannah & Edmund Walter Soutter and the birth of their youngest son Joseph in c 1913 and the fact that there is no birth record for Rose Hannah Brown (under any variations of spelling) in 1883 or around 1883 Tasmania.

The Rose Hannah Brown that married Mark Milne in Victoria was indexed as being brn in Prospect Hill.
I will check some further info in SA as I note at some piont they lived near the grampians which is close to South australia ??

Debbie

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 10:18AM GMT
Hi,
I have found something of interest.. but first can you please tell me the children of Bertha Elizabeth Hornsby ?

Debbie.

Posted: 13 Jun 2008 10:04PM GMT
Hi Sandra,

As complicated as it was ! I have found "Pop's lost wife" !

A family with many skeletons in the closet... (very common !)

She did not die at all she lived until she was 87 and yes she was born in Tasmania..

There are a few bits of info that I have managed to "pull out of the closet !" but I dont want to post it all on the message board.

Please email me at
jbjackson@optusnet.com.au
I have already typed it up for you to send via email.
Please do not click directly on my email link listed above as it will bounce back, you must type it in manually. Pleasse list the subject as SOUTTER..
She was NOT the Rose Hannah Brown that married Mark Milne that was a very weird coincidence and even stranger that the mother died of fire related death !!
Please give me the list of children of Bertha Elizabeth Hornsby to fill in some gaps. I have some of them.

debbie.

Debbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions