Search for content in message boards

Springfield mentioned in civil parish of Ballisodare

Springfield mentioned in civil parish of Ballisodare

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JOHNSTON
Hello,

Does anybody know this geographical reference within Ballisodare civil parish? I am doing some work for a descendant of JOHNSTONs in Corhawnagh and in transcribing baptisms and marriages from the parish registers, I have come across the placename of Springfield. I adore using Google Earth, but this place is not coming up on the map. To be accurate, this place was named as the residence of John Johnston in his marriage to Margaret Morrow, who was from Balladrihid, quite near Corhawnagh, the other side northeast of Ballisodare town.

Thanks,
Jeanne

Re: Springfield mentioned in civil parish of Ballisodare

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 10:17PM GMT
Hey, just did a little further research and I think I found the answer, but it is a puzzle anyway. It looks like Springfield is the Anglo name for Magheragillerneeve, which is in Drumcliff civil parish. The puzzling part is that it is so far away from Ballidrihid. That is the townland where John and Margaret were living when they had Bridget in 1869, Margaret in 1873 and Elizabeth in 1876, even though father's homeplace was in Springfield. I guess that means he was likely not the eldest brother because Michael Johnston was having babies about the same time frame in Springfield.

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 7:55PM GMT
Springfield is on google maps just make sure its magnified out to the max and you should find it. On the approach road from Sligo to Ballysodare, just at the perimeter of the village, at the roundabout there is a road to the left. Continue on that road for less than 1km. This is the townland of Springfield.

Tu

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 8:02PM GMT
Thank you for your reply, Tu2Tu. I found it with your guidance on Google Earth! Thanks so very much!

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 8:07AM GMT
You're welcome Jeannemarge,

There are 3 or 4 townlands in Co. Sligo called 'Springfield' - so its easy to get confused ! Glad to help out.

Tu

Posted: 4 Oct 2013 1:21PM GMT
You might want to try using

http://www.myplan.ie/viewer

It includes Google Maps but with a lot more local Irish stuff.

Have you come across any GILROY, KILROY or FLAHERTY in Carrownagh or in the Collooney area ?

Posted: 6 Oct 2013 4:48AM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, O'Hara, Howley, Noonan, Sorenson, Carlon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions