Search for content in message boards

Armstrong and McCleary family

Armstrong and McCleary family

Posted: 14 May 2013 10:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Armstrong and McCLEARY
looking for families that might know or related to Richard Armstrong from Achonry sligo , he married Margaret McCleary from castleconner area, in 1868..They had 6 children Eliza,francis, Margaret, Robert died age 19 of tb..willian henry and ann..(twins) George on his birth cert but called Richard my great grandfather...i do not no anything that happened any of them chilren except richard and robert.. I know Margaret mcCleary had one brother Robert born 1839..sister ELIZABETH born 1836

Re: Armstrong and McCleary family

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:18AM GMT
1901/1911 Census: www.census.nationalarchives.ie

1911:
17 Rathdoony More (Ballymote) Sligo

William H. Armstrong, single, farmer 56, RC

Any Francis is too young in the 1911, and too old in the 1901.
Women usually just disappear on marriage, you can look at the website www.familysearch.org for Eliza and Margaret & Ann's marriages if you think they stayed in Ireland but husband's names are not given all the time.

There aren't many McCleary's in Sligo at this time 1856.

Robert McCleary Parish of Castleconer and a George of the same parish, Poor Law Union of Ballina.

Since Richard and Margaret did not marry till 1868 these could be grandparents rather than parents of Margaret.

26 Armstrongs in Achonry Parish, in the Griffith Valuation of 1856. There are Richard's Francis, Robert and William's so they definitely followed family name. Achonry is in the Poor Law Union of Tobercurry.

www.familysearch.org

Eliza Armstrong born 7th. May, 1869 #560 Tobercurry, Sligo
Fa: Richard Armstrong Mo: Margaret McClain

William Henry Armstrong 25 Jan 1878 Gilroy, Sligo
Fa: Richard Armstrong Mo. Margaret Mccleary

Anne Armstrong 25 Jan. 1878 Gilroy, Sligo
Fa: Richard Armstrong Mo: Margaret Mccleary

Frances(women's spelling) Armstrong 20 July, 1870 #554
Tobercurry, Sligo

Margaret 28 Mar 1872 Tobercurry

Currently there are only 17 Armstrongs in the telephone book for Sligo and only 1 for Tobercurry. 16 McCleary's but none in Sligo but counties close by. You could try writing a few letters.

Annette Code

Posted: 27 May 2013 10:13AM GMT
Thank You Annette
I think i found William henry left lived and married in Canada,only thing was there was 2 william henry with same mother and fathers name, but one younger by 1 year..i have searched heritage centre for any marriage records, but none even in births deaths etc office..I have found Margaret mcCleary grave and 2 sons, one which is my great grandfather..she is from castleconner lived in tobbercurry and al children were born there, moved back to castleconner have her and husband and my g,grandfather in 1901 and 1911 census.. and have seen where the house would have been..hard to find family i did not know about..

Posted: 27 May 2013 12:40PM GMT
Did you try the history foundation with just the name of the parents and no county? as often the civil registration district could extend into another county, CRD didn't have a border other than a 12 mi. radius. I seem to remember that there was some sort of border change for the two counties. County borders were generally static.
Annette

Posted: 27 May 2013 7:49PM GMT
Hi Annette
Yes There was a a change in border as sligo came right up through Ballina Co.Mayo area.I tried heritage centre in sligo and enniscoe house here, nothing, did get the 3 death certs in castlebar even though was under sligo..but nothing on rest of Armstrongs, Did get graves in church of Ireland grounds in Killaney..Kinda praying that out of all them Armstrongs and mcCleary's that there might be one of the great grandkids like me searching as well..i'll just keep trying..Thanks for your help
Ruth

Posted: 28 May 2013 12:48AM GMT
While you wait for contact make sure you keep updated your
email with ancestry so you get a notice. I see answers sometimes 2 years apart and not be able to make contact. Annette

Posted: 28 May 2013 9:35AM GMT
Oh i see.. i will do that thanks Annette..i also started new thread for Armstrongs that might want get in touch..

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 12:35PM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong
Have you seen this thread ?

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.armstrong/708.1.2.5.1/mb...

The participants might be able to help you.

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 7:27PM GMT
Thank you very much
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions