Ancestry

Search for content in message boards

Import of TMG 8.08 data into Family Tree Maker 2014

Import of TMG 8.08 data into Family Tree Maker 2014

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone had any luck with this?
Import went to completion using FTM 2012, but it fails at 30% using FTM 2014 (v 22.0.0.1239).

I haven't analyzed the FTM 2012 import results fully, but I have noticed that exhibits (all images) attached to my sources did not transfer. That's a show-stopper bug.
I was hoping for more complete results with FTM 2014, but things aren't looking good right now.

I have spoken with support and they requested my database. I'm waiting for a response.

Richard

Re: Import of TMG 8.08 data into Family Tree Maker 2014

Posted: 7 Dec 2013 10:30PM GMT
I too have had major problems with a direct import from TMG 8.08 to FTM 2014. Many illogical person links, had me "married" to my son-in-law because I was a witness to wedding, etc., etc. I gave up and resorted to gedcom transfer to see how that worked. I have spent the past year and a half updating all of my sources to include linked PDF or jpeg files of the sources themselves and it appears all of that will be lost in any transfer to FTM for uploading as a family tree on Ancestry (at least the media files do NOT transfer with sources via a gedcom import). Bummer

Jack

Posted: 21 Nov 2015 1:53AM GMT
I have had TMG 8.08 and uploaded the TMG GEDCOM file into Ancestry.com. It seems to have uploaded ok, and I've been adding to the tree online since then. But now I'm thinking of downloading FTM because it can sync to the online Ancestry.com. My question to you is, do you think after downloading FTM, to get my database going should I first try a direct import from TMG, then trying syncing it to the online (added to) version, or import the TMG GEDCOM file (then sync), or just start by running a sync with the online tree and forget the TMG? Thanks for your opinion....

Posted: 21 Nov 2015 4:10AM GMT
My suggestion is to keep your real work in TMG but export to GEDCOM and upload that to Ancestry for the purpose of sharing and discovery. Then backfill TMG with new info.
That's what I do.

Posted: 22 Nov 2015 3:22AM GMT
Thanks Rick for your quick reply. Can I drill down a bit to understand? I would really prefer one system that syncs with the online Ancestry rather than backfilling TMG every time a change is made on Ancestry. That can be really cumbersome entering data twice, and data entry in online Ancestry is so quick and easy that it is very seductive. Are you really down on FTM? It sounds like what I need if I want to have something that syncs. Is the issue with FTM that it doesn't import from TMG or GEDCOM very well? Is that the issue? Thanks!

Posted: 22 Nov 2015 5:55AM GMT
Yes, I really am down on.FTM and yes its a lot of work. However the second data entry allows for better auditing of the data and evidence. Mistakes can be avoided by doing the double entry. I too was hoping the system would work but i gave up on FTM.

Posted: 22 Nov 2015 6:05AM GMT
Rick, Is there a particular part of FTM that fails you that I might not have an issue with because you have alot of pictures and citations and I don't? You can see how I'm trying to get you to let me try it! It's annoying that the only well known cross platform online ancestry aid can't sync acceptably with it's own desktop software....there definitely part of me that wants to make that work....Thanks.

Posted: 22 Nov 2015 5:54PM GMT
I don't have any complaints about FTM synching with ancestry.com
I haven't checked its accuracy, but it seems to work.

By all means, buy a copy of FTM, it's cheap enough. My complaints are-
1- no working direct import from TMG
2- no support.

Posted: 2 Dec 2015 2:06PM GMT
Hello, Richard and Jack,
I currently have TMG 9.05, with trees on Ancestry. Until now, I have updated TMG manually with any updated information from Ancestry. Tedious, but my TMG info is "richer" than what is on Ancestry, with more notes and media.

However, my TMG is starting to behave unusually (e.g, it often thinks I have an expired trial version, so I have to keep reinstating), so I'm concerned that it will not work at all sometime in the future. I purchased FTM2014 because of its synching ability with Ancestry, but am just starting to figure out the best way of migrating to FTM.

My TMG data is better than what I have on Ancestry now, but what I'm seeing from these posts is that I'll have a lot of work even if I import TMG GEDCOMs to FTM. I do see on another message board that someone had better luck importing their TMG GEDCOMs to Ancestry, then synching to their new FTM2014. (http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/1073...) This still did not solve the media problem, but notes do go over to Ancestry (as unsourced citations).

Any thoughts, and do you have concerns about TMG's stability?

Thanks,
Holly

Posted: 2 Dec 2015 6:30PM GMT
I went ahead and purchased FTM 2014. Exported my TMG 9.05 to GEDCOM, then imported to Ancestry, then imported to FTM. It's all working fine BUT I had a simple file (roughly 1000 records) with few citations and NO media. From my brief review of the knowledge base, media and citations can be an issue. I'm less keen on FTM than I am on Ancestry. I find I spend most of my time on Ancestry, then syncing to FTM, it just seems to be easier and quicker. I didn't have the patience to keep manually updating TMG, and FTM satisfies my relatively uncomplicated needs.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic