Search for content in message boards

James Doyle born Wexford 1798

James Doyle born Wexford 1798

Posted: 21 Jun 2008 2:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Doyle, Renehan, Edgar, Crozier
Trying to trace a James Doyle born Wexford, Ireland 1798 (wife Margaret), Ballan, near Ballarat, Victoria (a "Port Phillip Pioneer")
Father of Dr. Henry Martin Doyle, (born 1859) member of NSW Legislative Council.

Re: James Doyle born Wexford 1798

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 4:02AM GMT
Hi,

I did a quick search but couldn't locate a birth reg. for a Henry Martin Doyle born in Victoria 1836-1888.

Do you know whether James and Margaret were married before they emigrated, or here in Australia?

Not sure that I'm on the right track at all, but found a marriage for a

James Doyle to Margaret Isabella Fields (or Field), St Francis Church Melbourne, 1848.

Children

Elitha Charles: b.1851,Melbourne
Elisha Charlotte: b.1851,Melbourne
Aden Lewis: b.1858,Ballan
Margaret Isabella: b.1864,Ballarat (d. 1871)

1856 Electoral Roll

James Doyle
Freehold
Ingleston Arms Hotel
Ballan

All the best, Anne

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 10:08AM GMT
Surnames: Doyle, Renehan, Edgar, Crozier
Hi, Ann,Thanks for your information.Yes you have the right James Doyle he is my Greatgrand Uncle.I would like to trace his grandchildren, Margaret Renehan, Wolsely st Mount Albet,Lillian Edgar Brigg St.Caufield Victoria and James Doyle Crozier Melbourne )addresses early 1900) Can anyone help. Noel.

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 2:06AM GMT
Noel - Margaret Renehan is related to my family. I have a bit of information as my grandfather was her brother. They lived in Kingston Road Surrey Hills. I coincidentally live in the area.

Michael Renehan

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 3:47PM GMT
Hi Michael

Thank you for your message. It looks like we might be on the right track.

My information on the Australian side of the family comes from the will of Henry Martin Doyle (son of James Doyle). Margaret Renehan, Avoca, 4 Wolesley, Mount Albet, Victoria was mentioned in the will and is referred to as his niece.
So it looks like you might be one of "our" Doyles. Would love to share some information if you are interested - I have a lot of information on the Wexford side of the family as I live in Ireland.

I believe that Lillian Edgar, Brigg St., Caulfield, Victoria and James Doyle Crozier (not sure if this is a surname or a place) were also referred to as niece and nephew of Henry Martin Doyle in his will but don't know for certain if this is the case.

Look forwarding to hearing from you

Noel

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2011 11:58PM GMT
Hi Noel,

It appears Lillian Edgar and James Doyle Crozier were siblings, children of Charles Crozier and Catherine Doyle.

Deaths:

Lillian Mary Edgar, died Prahran, Victoria, in 1983, aged 84 (Reg.# 9437)

James Doyle Crozier, died Ballarat, Victoria, in 1947, aged 52 (Reg.#19785).

Cheers, Anne

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 11:05PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2011 11:15PM GMT
Catherine's husband Charles Crozier may have died at the Prince Alfred Hospital, Victoria, in 1899....

Charles Crozier (Parents William Crozier and Ellen Lodwig), aged 32 (Reg. #7203)

Catherine Lucy Crozier remarried in 1908 to a Donald Wilson Follett (Reg. #4145).

Catherine Lucy Follett (Parents James Doyle and Margaret Field) died at Surrey Hills, Victoria in 1919, aged 47 (Reg. #19152).

Edited to add: Not sure that the informant has the correct name for her parents; grandparents?

Anne

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 11:42PM GMT
More bits and bobs:)

James Doyle Crozier served in the A.I.F., WWI from 1915 to 1919.

His step-father and mother (signed Donald Milo Follett and Catherine Crozier Follett) gave permission for him to enlist.

His 18 page service record is viewable online at 'National Archives of Australia Name Search'(Google it).

Anne

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 2:30PM GMT
Anne

Thank you for all this information. Its been very helpful. I looked up the service record - very interesting

Noel

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 3:08AM GMT
I have information on James Doyle and his wife Margaret Isabella Field/s. She held the license of two hotels in Tarcutta NSW after James' death (I assume). She also remarried in 1887 at Wagga Wagga, NSW. Her death notice appears in the Argus on 27 March 1915 p11 under the name of Doyle-Aviss.
I have the names of six children of James and Margaret and am interested in the year of James death.
I am researching publicans in NSW. I'm not a relation to this family. I'm happy to share the information I have.
Philippa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions