Search for content in message boards

Train Crash 1917

Train Crash 1917

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 12:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
I'm seeking information on a train crash that took place in the Parry sound area about 27 March 1917.
I doing research for a cousin and I just found the death of the husband of one of her cousins which says he died in a train crash 27 Narch 1917. He was a 'Railway Engineer' by the name of William Graham Campbell

Chers
Niall

Re: Train Crash 1917

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 7:49PM GMT
The death registration gives the location of the crash.

"About mileage 331 GTR Ottawa to Depot Harbour Twp Bethune

GTR stands for Grand Trunk Railway."

I come from the general area of the crash but do not remember anyone ever mentioning it.
Cannot find anything on Google. Lots of other railway accidents listed but not that one.

Maybe the coroner's report would give more information on the crash.

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 1:10AM GMT
Surnames: Metcalfe
Hello,

I am doing research into my family's history and found your post. My grandfather is listed in this paragraph and I wonder if this is the same train.

This is a paragraph from web page:

In July 1915, Capreol became a divisional point when the first train, operated by a crew from the town, left Sudbury and travelled to Foleyet which was the end of the line at that time.

The crew consisted of William Metcalfe, engineer, Paul Gaurrau, fireman, Thomas A. Anderson, conductor, B.J. Barstead, brakeman, and Ernie J. Durand, brakeman.

History of Capreol » Northern Ontario Railroad Museum and Heritage Centre

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 3:46AM GMT
I looked at his death record and it actually said he was "killed in a railway accident" and that he had a crushed skull. I did not find anyone else dying in Parry Sound on that day. I think he possibly was hit by a train, rather than it being a train wreck.

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 6:16PM GMT

Parry Sound Historical Site has photos and people who will answer your
questions about history.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/172080842916324/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic