Search for content in message boards

Lutheran Records from Jablau/Stargard/West Prussia

Lutheran Records from Jablau/Stargard/West Prussia

Posted: 18 Mar 2008 3:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kristowski, Schwoch
I am trying to track down Kristowskis/Schochs from the Stargard area. I only see Catholic churches listed in the LDS microfilm catalog. Can anyone advise me on my next stop?

Thanks!

Re: Lutheran Records from Jablau/Stargard/West Prussia

Posted: 19 Mar 2008 5:15PM GMT

Jablau is also known as Groß Jablau. It had no own lutheran church/ parish.
The lutherans belonged to parish of city of Preußisch Stargard.
You find the lutheran churchbooks at LDS under
Preussisch Stargard.

Klaus

Posted: 19 Mar 2008 8:29PM GMT
The church books of the Evangelische Landgemeinde zu Preuszisch-Stargard are a gold mine. Unless the library has changed them the numbers are:

208249 General Index 1822-1849
208250- Baptism 1773 - 1842 & Marriages 1773-1821
208251- Baptism 1843-1864
208252- Baptism 1864 -1909
208253- Marriages 1822-1884
208254 Deaths- 1773-1881
208255 - Deaths 1882-1939

Enjoy! LaVerne

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 2:42PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2008 12:12PM GMT
Do you know if they will send those records to any LDS center? I have family from Saaben, West Prussia. Do you know if this is included in these films?

Thanks!

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 7:44PM GMT
When I read these records about 20 years ago they were available through loan at local FHC of the LDS church.

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 8:08PM GMT
thank you. Have you ever heard of Saaben?

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2008 12:15PM GMT
Surnames: Klein, Kleinowski
Yes. When I did research on my husband's Boehmke family I found some of them living in the villages of Konradstein, Dombrowken, Kokoschken, Kottisch, Rokoschin, Saaben, and Summin.

These villages were Vorwerks. That is they were part of one of the huge kingly estates. A family would have a small garden area by the house and medical care.
They were literate. But since spelling was not codified until late in the 1800s you will find great variations. Even the name Boehmke might be spelled more than one way in a single church event. The village names might be spelled the Polish way or the German way. Over time the area has been politically Polish or German.

Some of the Germans added "owski" to their names. For instance, one of his great aunts married a Kleinowski. Klein is a German name and when they migrated to the States, they called themselves Klein.

The church was in the nearest large town, Preussich Stargard. It was also the market town. There is another Stargard, so be sure you look for the Prussian one which is about thirty miles south of Gdansk/Dansig. It should be on any current map of Poland.

Libraries usually have great maps, many of them issued by the US government. You should be able to copy one. You might want to look in Meyer's Lexicon also.

Try ordering just one film of the time period of your immigrant. I spent years looking at the seven films, because you need to check the siblings, etc. in order to be sure you are tracing the correct family. A copy of my book is in the LDS library and other genei libraries.

LaVerne

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 8:55PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2008 12:13PM GMT
Surnames: Krause
Wow, thank you for sharing your knowledge. My husband's Krause family came from Saaben and settled in Buffalo, NY. His great grandfather, August Krause, died in Saaben but was said to be a furrier and a court official. Only his wife, Augusta Eltis Krause, sons Frederick and August and daughter Hertha came to the US. Family stories say that many remained there but during the wars they lost touch. It is has been very hard to research this family. I think I will call the local history center and order the films. Which one do you suggest I begin with?

Thanks again. You have given me the best information since I started searching a few years ago!

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Krist, Kristowski
Thanks for your tip on the "owski." The family I'm looking for is "Kristowski." In the States, 1/2 of the family changed their name to "Krist." I always wondered where the "owski" came from if they were culturally German.

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 9:24PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2008 12:16PM GMT
Surnames: Boehmke
Small world. The Boehmke's settled in Buffalo, also, although one sister went to WI and 2 to OR. And one brother came to Buffalo with his family, but after a few years returned to West Prussia. He had been a shepherd and I guess city life didn't agree with him. About two years ago one of the shepherd's decendants found me on line. They suffered through two WWs and his grandmother who is exactly my age was carried off to Siberia when she was a young mother with 2 children. How thankful we can be that they came to the States.

Start with your husband's direct ancestor. Was it Fredrick/Friedrich, August, or Hertha? Order the film that would have this ancestor's baptismal record. It would be either the same year as the birthday, or the next if it was in December. Copy it and the baptism records of the siblings. Some may have died as children.

Maybe the parent's marriage record will be on the same film.
If so, copy it. Be sure to note the names of witnesses and or godparents, since they are usually family and may be important at some time.

Or maybe it is your immigrant's marriage that will be on that film. It all depends on how the years are divided on the film. Copy the sibling's marriage records also. And check the death record's for the people you find on this film.

LaVerne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic