Search for content in message boards

coon families in michigan

coon families in michigan

christina (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
looking for more info on this coon family, they were in kent,ottawa, and lake counties in michigan....1870-1920.

a little about the family:

isaac and mary were 1st cousins once removed...isaac's father tobias coon was born 1822 in ohio and was the son of george s. coon and christiana mooore
marys father, george coon was born 1831 ohio and was the grandson of george coon and christiana moore, he was also the son of elizabeth coon and philip coon....
elizabeth and tobias are siblings...
hope this is not too confusing,,
thanks christina

1. Isaac COON , son of Tobias COON and Eleanor DECOURSEY, was born in 1848 in
Ohio

Isaac married Mary Elizabeth COON, daughter of George COON and Maryann
GASKALL, on 25 Oct 1870 in Kent Co. Mich.

Children from this marriage were:

2 M i. David Henry COON was born on 12 Apr 1875 in MI.
2 M ii. Henry L. COON was born in 1871 in Ottawa County
Georgetown Twp. Michigan.
2 M iii. Lawerence C. COON was born in 1873 in Ottawa County
2 F iv. Ada F. COON was born in 1877 in Ottawa County
2 F v. Dora E. COON was born in 1881 in Ottawa County
2 F vi. Maryette COON was born in 1883 in Ottawa County
2 M vii. Leon COON was born in 1891 in michigan

Re: coon families in michigan

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Coon
Tobias' death certificate mistakenly listed as "Totias" Coon:

http://haldigitalcollections.cdmhost.com/seeking_michigan/se...

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 4:56PM GMT
i'm also looking for coon/koon families in kent,ottawa,possiible muskegon co's.i have a tobias m coon b.app 1834,d 12/29/1905 at veternan's home in grand rapids,mi. he also served in the civil was and enlisted in ohio. i know he had a son asman, and william b.1859 and a dau. belle. your post sounded the most promising i've seen in a long time hopefully we can connect.thanks

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 10:27AM GMT
Surnames: Coon
According to my information, the Tobias Coon who died 12/29/1905 at the Soldier's Home in Grand Rapids had the following children:
Isaac b. 1848
Arminda/Lorinda (twins) b. June 15, 1851
Isabel b. 1854
Henry b. 1856
Lelown b. 1860
James b. 1863
Posmer b. 1867

I may have misread Lelown and Posmer on census records, as they were somewhat hard to read.

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 7:47PM GMT
This is also what I have for this Tobias Coon. His son Isaac is the one that married my Gr Grandpas sister Mary Elisabeth Coon...Tobias was my 3rd Gr. Grandmothers brother her name was Elizabeth. I don't recall any Asman,William or Belle as any of his children.
Parents of Tobias M. Coon were George S. Coon and Christiana Mohr/Moore. Tobias was born abt. 1822 in southern Ohio maybe Belmont Co. Tobias and wife Eleanor Decoursey married in Allen Co. Ohio in Oct. 1843. Tobias's family moved to Allen Co. Ohio in 1832 when he was a young boy. He grew up in Shawnee Twp. Sometime before 1870 he moved his wife and children to Michigan, I believe that is why my Gr grandfathers family moved up there abt 1869. I believe there must have been an arranged marriage between my grandfathers sister and her cousin. She was only 17 so her parents had to sign for her to get married. Anyways I hope some of this helps you in your search...Also last known census that I found of Tobias was 1880 and Perella Coon was living with Tobias it stated she is a granddaughter
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Tallmadge, Ottawa, Michigan; Roll: T9_601; Family History Film: 1254601; Page: 414.4000; Enumeration District: 240; Image: 0030.

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 11:28PM GMT
Additional information on family of Tobias Coon:
1884 State Census, Tallmadge Township, Ottawa County, Michigan (Taken June 11).
Coon Tobias 62 male, white Husband born: Ohio Father born: Penn. Mother born: Penn.
Ellen 63 female, white Wife born: Ohio Father born: N.J. Mother born: Ohio
Henry 29 male, white Son Married born: Ohio Father born: Ohio Mother born: Ohio
Selon/Lelon 24 male, white Son Single born: Ohio Father born: Ohio Mother born: Ohio
Osmer 17 male, white Son Single born: Ohio Father born: Ohio Mother born: Ohio
Eva M. 9 female, white Granddaughter Single born: Mich. Father born: Ohio Mother born: United States
Pernella 7 female, white Granddaughter Single born: Mich Father born: Ohio Mother born: United States
Laurance Fred 16 male, white Boarder born: Mich. Father born: United States Mother born: Mich.
100 Years of Land Owners 1849 - 1949--Tallmadge Twp. (Ottawa County, MI)
Tobias Coon listed for years, 1878 through 1883
In the 1889-90 Grand Rapids City Directory Tobias Coon was listed as a laborer, living at 246 6th Street
In the 1894 Veteran's Census for Michigan Tobias was listed as residing in the Soldiers' Home in Kent County (Grand Rapids, Michigan).
Around 1900 Tobias became a resident of the Grand Rapids Soldiers' Home, with the following information: He was a White Male, Born in July of 1822, at the time being 77 years old, and was Widowed. His father was born in Ohio and his mother in Kentucky.
(Series: T623 Microfilm: 723 Book: 2 Page: 56 )
1900 Tobias M. Coon was listed as residing in the Soldiers Home Kent (County, Grand Rapids, Michigan)
Tobias M. Coon died December 29, 1905. He is buried in the cemetery at the Grand Rapids Soldiers' Home, Plot 4, Row 19, and Grave 7.

Posted: 5 May 2011 3:25AM GMT
I'm a daughter of Lloyd, parents were Clarence and Maude, his father was Isaac, then Tobias M Coon. Looks like we are tracking the same family lines. My mom and dad divorced when I was just a baby, so I never knew him. I'm wondering if there is a way to see if he remarried and had any other children, who would be my half siblings...

Thanks for any help you can give,
Linda LeCroy

Posted: 5 May 2011 10:56AM GMT
I am contacting some people who may have contact information for Marietta, who would be your aunt. I believe she may still be living. She would be the only one that I know of who might be aware of any re-marriage for Lloyd.

Posted: 5 May 2011 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: Coon/Koon,Oliver, Schofield
Dorothy,Thank you so much for your information about Tobias Coon. It was very helpful, Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Posted: 10 May 2013 4:00PM GMT
Hi,

Do you know of an Ada E. Coon (b. abt. 1856, d. ?) who married George H. Hennesy in 1877 in Lawton, MI?

JK Standish
lacerta123@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions