Search for content in message boards

Still looking for Margaret Ruggles Reb

Still looking for Margaret Ruggles Reb

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 4:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Apr 2011 4:42AM GMT
This woman is a complete mystery and I was hoping someone has more information about her. Here is what I know to the best of my knowledge.
Margaret Ruggles married David Reb (mis-transcribed to Reeb and Rape) in Pennsylvania in 1828. David was born Oct 10, 1806 in Allen, PA. We do not know where Margaret was born. They had six children but I have only been able to locate the names of four. Henry Harrison (he's my 3rd Great Grandfather), Sarah Louise, Samuel, and Eliza. Shortly after moving to Wisconsin in late 1846 or early 1847, Margaret died.
Either out of grief or to bury Margaret, David left and went back to Pennsylvania leaving all of the children in Wisconsin. David then died in Oct of 1849 in Pennsylvania. David's brother Peter took the baby but he already had a dozen children of his own and was unable to take the rest. The other children were divided amongst five different families.
I am looking for any information possible on Margaret Ruggles Reb. We have no birth information, no death information other than Wisconsin in 1847, we can find no death certificate and no burial information in either WI or PA. She seems to be a complete enigma.
Thanks, Denise

Re: Still looking for Margaret Ruggles Reb

Posted: 22 May 2011 3:50PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2011 3:53PM GMT
You didn't mention having checked local church burial registers; considering the early year there are not many churches to chose from. The burial register records the event of the burial - and is not the same as a cemetery record (which should be an inventory and location of a plot). The detail included with those registers varies as with any record.

I have evidence of this from my own family research in Milwaukee. I have constructed some of my earliest finds through parish burial records: most, but not all finds were previously unrecorded children. (In fact, in two cases, I've been able to confirm the number of children living/deceased referenced in later census records by using early church records - baptism or burial records.)

For a German Catholic family located in Milwaukee in 1849, the likeliest place to look would be "Old" St. Mary Catholic Church (filmed by the LDS). Their early records include German immigrants from a wide area. Someone else may have advice on the early local Protestant churches.

Posted: 22 May 2011 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: Ruggles Reb
The difficulty that we have with church records is that, as far as we know, the family had only been in Wisconsin a few months. Definitely well less than a year. And we only know they lived in Dane County no idea of which town or farm they lived. Why Margaret's husband, David Reb/Rape, left very shortly afterwards back to Pennsylvania, and without the children, is one of our biggest family mysteries. We can find no death record in either Wisconsin or Pennsylvania for Margaret so where she is buried is also a mystery.

Posted: 22 May 2011 9:19PM GMT
"we can find no death certificate and no burial information in either WI or PA"
Wisconsin wasn't a state until 1848. Its vital records are inconsistent until 1907. The earliest death records filed in Dane County are from 1876:
http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/vitalrecords/genereq.htm#G5

"we only know they lived in Dane County no idea of which town or farm they lived"
Where did David's brother, Peter, live? That would be a good place to start looking for information.
". The other children were divided amongst five different families."
Where did those families live? Those would also be places to look for information.

David may have bought and sold land in Wisconsin. Dane County property records and indexes have been microfilmed by the Family History Library. You could look at those.

Some Dane County tombstone photos can be found here:
http://www.usgwarchives.org/wi/cemetery/dane.html

Other cemetery indexes can be found in the newsletter of the Wisconsin State Genealogical Society.

Posted: 22 May 2011 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2011 10:26PM GMT
[I thought I was reading the Milwaukee board when I read/responded to your initial message - and there was no reference to Dane Co.]

For all practical purposes there was no active registration of deaths in 1849 Wisconsin at the city, county, or state level. Pennsylvania would've been far ahead of Wisconsin in its record keeping practices in 1849.

In Milwaukee, possibly elsewhere in Wis., births and deaths only became actively recorded (but not comprehensive) in about 1872. In general, index listings found previous to that year were reported retroactively by families.

In early Wisconsin, a church registry becomes a primary source for a birth or death. If nothing else, start by looking for a baptism of the last child you mentioned, or even church records for the brother's family, names of a baptism sponsor, etc.

P.S. The spelling "Rape" is an indication of what "Reb" sounds like when spoken by a native German.

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 2:03PM GMT
I am a descendant of Samuel Rape/Rapp and Adelphia Canor/Kainer through their daughter Ora Ellen Rapp who identified her parent's by name when she married Harlow Edgar Ellis in Pierce County, Wisconsin in 1894. Daughter "Ellen" was living with Samuel and Adelphia Rape at the time of the 1880 census.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic