Search for content in message boards

Reichards

Reichards

Posted: 22 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: Reichards, Eitzen
We are looking for our great-grandmother, surname Reichards, who left Hamburg to marry Klaus Eitzen of Hannover, and emigrated to the United States about 1860's.
They settled in Eastern New York (Hudson Valley/Hyde Park area and had 4 children - August, Louise, Henry, Mildred).
Any help would be appreciated

EITZEN family

Mark Eitzen (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: EITZEN, HANEY
I don't have information on this post, but would be interested in information you have on your EITZEN ancestor. I am descended from Peter EITZEN who left Hamburg and immigrated to the US in Sept. 1870. He went to Copenhagen to buy his ticket, then came to NY by way of Ireland. He married Annie Haney in Unionville in Northern Missouri in about 1876, then is living in Iowa in 1880. The family moved eventually to Northwest Kansas in the (where they were located in the early 1900's) then on to Galena (in far southeast Kansas) by 1910. Any help would be appreciated.

I am interested in studying those German immigrants named Eitzen who are not part of the Russian Mennonite families which are already well documented. I would love to correspond with you about this.

Eitzen

Posted: 30 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 2:59PM GMT
Surnames: Eitzen
I am finally getting back to this part of my family - is it possible that Peter and Klaus were brothers (Klaus may also have beenknown as Karl...)? Klaus and Dorothea Reichards had 4 children - Henry, August, Mildred, and "Louise". Most married and had children as well (Augie had 3, Henry 7, Louise 1. Until the 1970's they were mostly in the Philadelphia, PA and Hyde Park, NY areas as far as I know. I am working with Henry's children to try to learn more while they are still able to share (they are mostly in their 70's now). Does any of this help you or match up to what you have?

Re: EITZEN family

Posted: 5 Mar 2003 12:21AM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 12:53AM GMT
Hello, Mark,
We might be related somehow. I am descended from Edward Moritz Heinrich Eitzen who was born in 1859 in Bremen, Germany, and came to the U.S./New Orleans aboard the ship Nuernberg on December 17, 1877. He was one of four children. His father and mother were Wilhelm Heinrich Eitzen and Charlotte Louise Kressner. I am just starting this search, but have lots of information given to my family from my great aunt, Julia Madeline Eitzen, that passed away in 1985. Would you have any connection to me?
Madeline

Mark Eitzen (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2003 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: EITZEN
We very possibly could be related, at least distantly. I really know very little about my Eitzen ancestors beyond what is in my post. However, I would be interested in sharing whatever information that I have with you. Do you know the names of your ancestors' brothers and sisters (you mentioned that he was one of four children)?

As you probably know most of the Eitzen's around today are descended from a German/Russian Mennonite family (Abraham Eitzen) that came to Kansas. There are also other Mennonite Eitzen's that went to Canada and South America as well. I've studied my ancestry enough to know that I'm not part of this group. It sounds like you're not either. Also, your ancestors came from the same area in Germany that mine did (Bremen/Hamburg). My ancestor, Peter Eitzen, listed his birthplace as "Holstein" (now Schleswig-Holstein, the state in Germany just to the north of Bremen/Hamburg). He also listed his previous residence as Hamburg on some of immigration documents.

Based on all this, it seems like we're from the same area and possibly the same family. At any rate I certainly would be interested in learning more about what you have. It might be good to set up an informal group of people that are studying these Northern German Eitzen families as we run into them and share contact info to get such a group going. If you'll email me at mark_eitzen@fleetcapital.com, I'll be happy to send you my contact info so that we can begin sharing information.

Thanks.

Moira Eitzen Haag (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2003 8:58PM GMT
Surnames: Eitzen
My GGGrandparents, Dietrich Eitzen and Margaretha Bösch were from Belum an der Oste, Hannover, not very far from Bremen. They had (at least) two children, both of whom came to the US. The daughter, Johannah (Hannah) Dorothea married a man named Charles Ruh. They had, I believe, 4 children, one of which, a son, died young. They lived for a time in Brooklyn. The son, Heinrich (Henry) George Claus Eitzen, was born in March of 1858. He emigrated to the US in 1872 where he settled in NYC, and married a lady named Dorothea Riechers (also a recent immigrant). They had 4 children who survived to adulthood, including my grandfather Henry. They also had 11 grandchildren and over 30 great-grandchildren. They moved in the 1920's to Hyde Park, New York, where they spent the rest of their lives. Heinrich had a cousin, William Eitzen, also a grocer in NYC in the late 1870's and 1880's, who stood up for him at his wedding. At the same time, another grocer, August Eitzen, lived in the same area. We believe he was also a cousin or uncle, as Heinrich named his youngest child August. Our relatives have very similar birthdates, and I wonder if they might be cousins. Our family was Lutheran, not Mennonite, as many of the Eitzens in the global searches were. Dietrich is as far back as our family history goes, and we are still searching for the ship Henry took from (probably Bremen) Germany to New York in 1872. He came over too early for the Ellis Island website to help us there. I would welcome any other info you have on your ancestors in Germany or here.

Posted: 10 Mar 2003 2:08AM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2003 1:17AM GMT
Moira,
Send me your email address, and I'll pass on the information I know. Send me an email at AUMaddie@aol.com. I have lots of great info to share.Thanks.
Madeline

Posted: 11 Mar 2003 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2003 1:17AM GMT
Look what I just found! I think my dad (He just passed away on Feb. 13, 2003.) is helping me with this mission! I just found all of my ancestors in a German database on an internet website! Check it out. Maybe you'll find yours too. :) I cannot believe it!!!! It is all here!!! And I don't even speak German, but I figured it out...LOL.
http://db.genealogy.net/ofb/famreport.php?ofb=huchting&I...

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 8:49PM GMT
Dear Moira,
Hello. I have recently found out some more information regarding the Eitzens from Brooklyn, New York. My Great Aunt Madeline had an old photo album that I went through. Turns out, that my Great Grandfather, Eduard Moritz Heinrich Eitzen, had a sister that settled in Brooklyn. Her name was Wilhelmina Louise Charlotte Eitzen, and she married Friedrich Wilhelm Boschen on Nov. 20, 1886 in Quebec, Canada. They lived for a while in Canada, and had three children there named Frederick Wilhelm, Harold, and Charlotte (Lottie). They all emigrated to Brooklyn and lived there at 130 Underhill Avenue. My great aunt used to visit them in Brooklyn. We have lots of old pictures of them. Do those names sound familiar to you on the Bosch side of your family? I know that the Eitzens and the Boschens were a close clan. I am still trying to figure out the Henry, August, William Eitzen connection, but I'll bet we are related somehow. Now, my Great Grandfather, Eduard, did have a brother that I have yet to track down. His name was Friedrich Wilhelm Eitzen. I know he was born on Oct. 16, 1856 in Bremen. I know he married and had children named Wilhelm, Walter, Kurt (called Connie), Louisa, Hertha, and Erica Eitzen...all born around 1880 or 1890. I have never found out Friedrich Wilhelm's wife's name though. We know that Friedrich Wilhelm did write and have published an English/German dictionary. I am not sure he even emigrated to the USA, but I have a feeling his children did even if he did not. We think his son, Connie, may have also published books and dictionaries. Does any of this sound familiar to you at all? Let me know. AUMaddie@aol.com

Moira Eitzen Haag (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2003 5:26PM GMT
Surnames: Eitzen, Bosch
My grandfather, Henry Richard Eitzen (b.1894) was the son of Henry (Heinrich) George Claus Eitzen (b. 1858) and the grandson of Dietrich (or Diederich) Eitzen, who remained in Germany. Dietrich was married to Margarethe Bösch. They had at least two children - Henry G. C. (above) and Johannah (Hannah), who married a man named Charles Ruh and had 4 children (only one a son, who died young). Dietrich lived and died in Belum (near Neuhaus an der Oste), not very far from Bremen. Margarethe died young (about 29), and we are fairly certain that Diedrich remarried and had at least one more child - he died at 68. It's possible that your Frederick (Friedrich?) Wilhelm is our William, who we know was Henry G.C.'s cousin. (Henry sometimes also went by Claus, his middle name). We have long suspected that August was either another cousin or an uncle - Henry named his second son August. If Frederick was born in 1856 in Bremen, and Henry in 1858 in Belum, it's certainly possible they knew one another in Germany/Hannover, and both sensed the turning political climate around the same time. (You don't say when Eduard was born...) Henry came over in 1872. In fact, both of Diedrich and Margarethe's children settled in NYC - Hannah and Charles Ruh in Brooklyn, Henry G.C. and later his wife Dorothea Riechers (married 1877) in the city. However, Henry & Dorothea eventually attended church in Brooklyn, as that is where my grandparents met... there must have been a large German immigrant population there - my grandmother's parents and grandparents never had to attend church in English. Brooklyn would have been a natural place for any young German to go, and Eitzen is a rare enough surname (except in the midwest) to fuel suspicion that Eduard, William, Heinrich and Hannah were related somehow! Let me know if you find anything further about Eduard's family in Germany. (Side note - Louise was the name of my grandfather's older sister...perhaps another family name...)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions