Search for content in message boards

MCKAY MACKAY

MCKAY MACKAY

Posted: 23 Dec 2004 6:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Feb 2005 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: CLIFFORD GRAHAM GROVESTINE HARPEL LOCKE MCKAY (MACKAY) MCPHERSON SWANSBURG (SCHWEINSBERGER) URQUHART
I'm interested in the MCKAY / MACKAY family of Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada from 1700 to the present. I'm specifically looking for parentage and birth information of DAVID MCKAY b. May 24 1793 in Thurso, Caithiness, Scotland. I'd love to share information with other MCKAY / MACKAY researchers.

/R

Stephen
Washington, DC

Re: MCKAY MACKAY

ann mckay (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2004 6:00AM GMT
Surnames: mcKay Munro,ryder,hamilton,
stephen,hi. we have commuicated before when I was looking for information about my mckay ancestors.My McKay line is from scotland to shelbourne nova scotia and starts with donald 1772 and also murdock mckay who married a maria elizabeth thomson 1832.I don't have a David listed in the report from shelbourne genealogical society but if you are interested in these Mckay lines I will be glad to share what I have.happy holidays to all the Mckays out there.love ann
these Mckays were in upper cylde river and Jordan Bay area of Nova Scotia.

Posted: 26 Dec 2004 2:16PM GMT
Edited: 22 Feb 2005 7:24PM GMT
Ann,
Happy Holidays!
Yes, Please send me what you have directly to the corresonding e-mail address: Citizen_Soldier@breezemachines.com
I'd like to compare our lines again.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes this holiday season,

Stephen
Washington, DC

Posted: 7 Mar 2005 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: McKay/Deschamp
Hi Ann,
I am also researching Murdock McKay & Maria Elizabeth Thomson. Their daughter Margaret Ann McKay married George Deschamp on May 15th 1851. Do you have any further info on Murdock & Maria?

ann mckay (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2005 5:38AM GMT
murdock mckay and maria thompson are my gg grandparents. murdock died sept 2 1881.1st marriage to barbara ? 2nd to maria elizabeth thomson born 1814 died nov 6 1887.children from 2nd marriage 1.margret ann mckay dec 5 1833 died march29 1904 married may 15 1851 george deschamp born 1819 died 1901 son of maria deschamp death notice in shelburne gazette april 4 1904.2.catherine mckay feb 6th 1836 3.mary m mckay born 1837 died aug 28 1918 4.isbella ann mckay5.duncan thomson mckay6.amelia may magdalen thomson mckay7.flora isabel mckay 8charles mckay 9.william john mckay10.my gg grandmother maria elizabeth mckay married thomas george mckay11.george murdock mckay 12.sarah jane mckay 13 deborah mckay 14. john mckay.murdock had 3 children from 1st marriage. if you need more birth dates for the children let me know.are you related?

Posted: 8 Mar 2005 3:38AM GMT
Thank you for the info! I am related thru George Deschamp & Margaret McKay through their son William B. Deschamp, his son Winslow De Champ, his son (my grandfather) William De Champ, his son (my father) David W. De Champ. It's nice to find another relative. Any further info would be appreciated and if you don't have much on my line, I'll gladly give you what info I have.

Posted: 2 Nov 2005 5:44PM GMT
Hi my names Leslie and here is what I have on The Mckay's from Shelburne N.S.I believe it's the same one.From what i've figured out Donald McKay would of been my 3rd great grandfather.

Donald McKay born 1772 in Strathberg, England died 7 May 1826 in Clde River, shelburne Co. N.S. He married 1st wife..
on 9th April 1805 in Christ Church, shelburne. Elizabeth Mary Hamilton, born abt. 1780, died 13 Aug 1850 in Middle Clyde N.S, daughter of James Hamilton and Anna McGeorge.

Notes for Donald Mckay
The family bible which was transcribed by a descendant the late Kenneth MacKay on 8 Nov, 1932, records Donald died on a Sunday aged 54 years.In front of the bible ws written; Mr. Donald McKay, Clyde River, Shelburne. His holy bible price 56 shillings. Bought in the year 1814.

His will in Estate A #261 was written 1 May 1826 and the estate probated 15 June 1826. He left everthing to his wife Elizabeth so as to enable her to look after the young children, His friends Alexander and James Hamilton were appointed executors. The estate was valued at 490 pounds and 15 shillings. The real estate house and lands wae worth 250 pounds. The considerable livestock included 4 oxen, 3 young cattle, 2 bull, 14 milch cows, 1 hiefer, 3 calfs, 1 horse,1 mare, 2 large hogs, 8 pigs, 11 sheep and 4 lambs. There were farming implements as well as carts. harrow and plough.

J Jenneth McKay research on the family was obtained from interviewing elder members of his family. Ken Wrote'' The owner of the bible was born in the year 1772, Donalds first wife died on the voyage here.
Notes for Elizabeth Mary Hamilton'
Died at 71 years on a Thursday as noted in the family bible. Note her husband emigrated from Scotland and is not related to the other Donald MacKay emigrants.

Children of Donald McKay and 1st wife....
1. John McKay went to sea and was never heard from again.
2. Donald McKay born abt. 1793 in SCotland, died 3 Jan 1871. He was about 8 years old when he came to NOva Scotia in 1804.
3. Hugh "Spudgill" McKay born abt,1800 in Scotland. Settled at Clyde River "called Spudgill Hughie"

Children of Donald McKay and Elizabeth Mary Hamilton......
1, Ann Munroe McKay born 2 Jan 1807 in Middle Clyde died 25 March 1892.
Died on a Friday at age 85 years Death was from paralysis.
2. James Mckay born 17 apr. 1808 in Middle Clyde died 24 Aug. 1879. He was a farmer and lumberman and the family bible records, he was born on Easter Sunday morning.
3. Mary McKay born 20 Feb. 1810 died 27 Oct. 1812
4.Elizabeth McKay born 8 Oct. 1812 in Middle Clyde died 21 may 1876. She was born on a Thursday morning
5. William McKay born 10 June 1815 in Middle Clyde died 30 Apr. 1879. William and wife Christiana first lived at Purdy Hill. Then moved to Clyde where he was a farmer and called "Govener"
6. Thomas McKay born 2 feb 1817 in Midle Clyde, died 1 Feb 1883
7. George McKay born 29 Dec. 1818 in Middle Clyde died ??
8. margaret McKay born 12 Juune 1820 in middle Clyde died 16 July 1894 in Upper Clyde.
9. Mary Elizabeth McKay born 8 July 1821 in Middle Clyde died 7 Sept, 1894
she was born on a Sunday died at age 74.
10. Alexander McKay born 5 Oct. 1825 in Middle Clyde.

My line starts here.......
Alexander Mckay born 5 Oct. In middle Clyde, son of Donald Mckay and Elizabeth Mary Hamilton. He married on 17 Nov. Margaret Dexter born 23 may 1830, daughter of John Dexter and Margaret Bowers. He was a Farmer..

Children of Alexander McKay and Margaret Dexter were..
1. William Mcgeorge Hamilton Mckay born 5 may 1854 in Upper Clyde died 29 Mar 1915
2. Elisha John Dexter Mckay born 8 Feb 1856 in upper Clyde, died 26 May 1893. He drowned in Clyde River.
3. Anamda Melvin McKay 22 July 1859 died 20 mar 1916
4. samuel Benjamin Davis Mckay born 1 July 1862 died ?
5.Frederick Charles Mckay born 3 Sept. 1869 in Upper Clyde died May 15 1872 in Upper Clyde
6. Thomas gideon McKay born 3 Sept. 1869 in Upper Clyde died 15 May 1872.
Death from Scarlet Fever.
7. Joseph Emus McKay born 3 Dec 1871 in Upper Clyde. Joseph and his wife Mabel Swaine seperated - he left and was never heard from again.
Cornelia Janetta Mckay born 15 Mar 1874 in Upper Clyde died 18 Nov 1941 in Port La Tour, This is my great grandmother she married George Pierce Swaine on the 18 Feb 1932. Daughter of Alexander Mckay and Margaret Dexter.she had a nickname everyone called her ( Nettie)

9. James Alexander McKay born 1857 died 1937 He was a fisherman.
I have some on the Hamiltons and Dexters if your interested i'd love to share with you if this is the same family. Boy they sure had a lot of children back then wow.

Leslie Crowe

Posted: 18 Feb 2006 11:55PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2006 4:57PM GMT
I notice that you have Murdoch McKay in your family tree. I have a great grandfather named George Murdoch Weaglein my family. His mother was Deborah McKay and she married Benjamin Weagle, she was his first wife. Do you have any infor. that can help me with this brick wall. Thanks for anything
Terry

Posted: 19 Feb 2006 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2006 4:57PM GMT
Hi
I have tears running down my face, because I truly feel that I have found my Deborah McKay and HER family. I thank you so much for giving this moment to me. It has been a long road and with lots of walls. My great Grandfather was George Murdoch Weagle. He married a Selma Selina Rice. first marriage. George's father was Benjamin Weagle and Deborah McKay. I have been to Nova Scotia last to meet George and Selma son, who is 92 years old and what a wonderful expereince that was. I would love anything and everything you have and I would gladly give you anything you need that I have. Thank you so much. I know it is her because I have this wonderful feeling I get when I find the person I looking for.
Have a great day and I look so forward to hearing from you.
Terry

Posted: 19 Feb 2006 3:58AM GMT
Hi Terry,
I only have the names you mentioned connected with Deborah McKay. I would like more info on the Weagle family and will provide info on my line if you like.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions