Search for content in message boards

Loughery's from Donegal

Loughery's from Donegal

Posted: 29 Jun 2007 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Loughery, McDermott, Nabby, Curtis, Douglass, Loftus, Roberts
My great-grandfather, Hubert Joseph Loughery, came to Boston, MA. (lived in Roxbury area) in about 1855. He married Mary Jane McDermott (from Roscommon, Ireland) in 1857. They had 3 or 4 children in Boston area and then the family moved on to San Francisco in about 1864 or so.

Hubert Joseph Loughery's obituary in 1891 in San Francisco, CA. lists his Irish background as: Clondallin townland, (listed as Glendellon but another poster corrected that), Parish of Killygaven, County Donegal, Ireland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. T. Roberts

Re: Loughery's from Donegal

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 3:32AM GMT
Surnames: Loughrey/McCaffrey/Kelly
I see your searching Loughrey's (Loughrey) my great grand mother was Bridget Loughrey (born abt 1856 Castlefinn Donegal)living in Philadelphia. In the 1900 census she had an uncle Edward McCaffrey living with her. Edward died in 1908 and his obiturary asked California papers to please copy. Bridget's parents were Bernard Loughrey and Margaret McCaffrey. I am wondering if this might be of interest to you or you have found the information you wanted. I do know at least two of Bridget's sister also lived in Philadelphia (Margaret and Mary Elizabeth)

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: Loughery, McDermott, Loftus, Commins, Cummins, Coen and more
Hello! The names you mentioned don't seem to be in my "tree branches"....however, I will keep your information and let you know if I find any new information. My family spelled their name "Loughery" but I've seen these same folks as Loughrey and even a "Longberry" in a federal census. I was looking up a step-son and found the entire family under that misspelling. Happy researching! T. Roberts

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 5:32PM GMT
My grt grandmother was born about 1857 Bridget Loughrey to Bernard Loughrey and Margaret McCaffrey in Donegal possibly Castlefinn where her parents appear in a film LDS listing a daughter born in 1862 Susan. I know little past Bernard and Margaret except they had property in Sessgah long and after Margaret died the property changed hands to a John McGranahan and Margaret Loughrey (Bernard's sister). My grandmother posted an obtuary for her uncle asking the California's papers to copy obtuary. I am wondering if there is a connection as Edward McCaffrey died 1909.

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Loughery, Loftus,Farley,Curtis,Roberts, and more.
Hi, again: I don't see any matches with these new names you list. My Loughery folk from Donegal have been a huge challenge.

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: Loughery/Lowry/Lowery
Loughery from Donegal, have you ever considered the alternate spelling by looking for LOWRY/LOWERY spellings of the name.
We have Lowrys from Carricknahorna and Ballymagroarty, town lands not too far from Ballyshannon.
Patti

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 8:42PM GMT
Surnames: Loughrey, McCaffrey, Kelly
Received the death certificate for Edward McCaffrey that gives his parents as John McCaffrey and Maggie Kelly. Also looking at the 1911 census I found Margaret Loughrey living with a son Andrew Loughrey she was listed as 81 years. I believe Andrew in earlier records was listed as Lowery.

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Loughery/McCaffery
I found information on Bernard Loughery his wife Margaret McCaffery they were first found on a civil register living in Castlefinn again in an obituary listed living in Ruskey and finally he was listed in a civil death register listing of Strabane. The death's are listed in the Familysearch.org

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 4:48AM GMT
Theresa,
I just found where my grt grt grandfather Bernard Loughery was buried, it is almost certain since the only two Loughery's that show in Upper Rooskey (Rusky) was James in 1829 who acquired property and Bernard living on a farm in Rooskey in the 1901 census are related probably father and son are buried in All Saints Cemetery Newtowncunningham, Lifford, Co. Donegal. The All Saints RC Church is the closest church to Rooskey.

Posted: 11 Mar 2011 9:37PM GMT
Surnames: Loughery,McDermott,Curtis,Roberts and more
Thank you for writing. My Loughery's have been such a mystery in Donegal. I find them first in Roxbury, MA. Hubert Joseph Loughery and wife, Mary Jane McDermott. I have his naturalization papers. They moved on and settled in San Francisco, Ca. His obituary listed Rathmullen, Donegal as his birthplace. I have not been able to find him arriving in the USA. I'm thinking it must have been to Boston, MA. ??? Onward..... Theresa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic