Search for content in message boards

Flanagan,Muth, Kempisty, Carroll,

Flanagan,Muth, Kempisty, Carroll,

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Im just looking for general information about my family. Im hitting some snags trying to find stuff. My great great grandfather lived in Phila, Samual Flanagan married to a Mary Muth? We were never sure of her maiden name, it would be helpful to find some info on her backround..she came to Phila from NJ. I would also like to find more information on the Kempisty's, they are from Poland, John and Catherine Kempisty were my great great grandparents, their son Joseph married a Margaret Carroll, I don't have that much information on the Carroll's, they came from Scotland to Phila Dec 4th 1919. If any of this sounds familiar and you can fill in the blanks or maybe your looking as well, please contact me on here or at yduj80@aol.com. Thanks :)

Re: Kempisty

Posted: 9 Aug 2009 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Kempisty, Wentroba
I don't know if you have the following possible records for your Kempisty line or not:
----------------------------
1930 United States Federal Census about John Kempisty
Name: John Kempisty
Home in 1930: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa; 139 Thompson St
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Poland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Catherine
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
John Kempisty, imm 1904; pa (1st papers?); blacksmith – sugar refinery 42
Catherine Kempisty, b. Poland; imm 1907 39
Francis Kempisty, b. PA; tinsmith – sugar refinery 18
Joseph Kempisty, b. PA 15
John Kempisty, b. PA 12
Edward Kempisty, b. PA 10
Mary Kempisty, b. PA 9
Josephine Kempisty, b. PA 3 11/12

---------------------------------------
1920 United States Federal Census about John Kemkisty
Name: John Kemkisty[John Kenckisty]
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 16, Philadelphia, Pa; rear 1131 Desmond St
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Poland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Catharine
Father's Birth Place: Poland
Mother's Birth Place: Poland
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1906
Image: 344
John Kemkisty, b. Poland; blacksmith; alien 33
Catharine Kemkisty, b. Poland; imm 1908(?) 30
Frank Kemkisty 8
Joseph Kemkisty 5
John Kemkisty 2 4/12
Edward Kemkisty 6/12

-------------------------------------
Possible marriage record:
Phila Index to marriages:
Jan Kempisty to Katarzyna Wentroba 1910; cert. No 259390
U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about John Kempisty
Name: John Kempisty
Birth Date: 1 Mar 1888
Birth Place: Poland
Residence: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Roll: WW2_2240586

139 W Thompson St; contact: Mrs. Katherine Kempisty, same address; Employer: Penn. Sugar Co.
Possible WWI Draft Registration (signature is John Kempisty)
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Joan Kenpistie
Name: Joan Kenpistie
City: Philadelphia
County: Philadelphia
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Omza(?), Poland;Russia
Birth Date: 29 Mar 1888
FHL Roll Number: 1907612

Address: 1129 N 2nd St; occupation: machinist – Railway Steel Spring Co.; supports wife and children.
------------------------------------
Philadelphia city directories:
1913/1914: no listings
1915: Frank Kempista, lab, h. 2 r 1129 N 2nd St
1916/1917/1918: Jno. Kempista, laborer, 2 r 1129 N 2nd St
1919, 1921: no listing found
1922: Jno Kempisty, h 139 Thompson
Posted: 9 Aug 2009 10:30PM GMT
Hello, yes the 1930 Census I have, the rest of it I didn't. How are you related to the Kempisty's? I've only met when I was really little, my great great grandmother Margaret who was married to Joseph Kempisty. I never got to meet my great great grandfather I think he passed in 1971? I've heard good things about the kempisty's. Now some of the names are spelled different.. instead of Watroba you spelled it Wentroba? Is that correct? Then you have Kempisty spelled kemkisty, is that correct as well and was it changed when they came to America? And Jan is John and Katarzyna became Catherine? This is all new to me so I want to make sure. Thank you for all that information. Hope to hear more from you.

Re: Kempisty

Posted: 9 Aug 2009 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Kempisty
I'm not related to the Kempisty, just thought I would check to see if I could find anything. The spelling variations that you mentioned were the way they were spelled in the various records. It is probably just a case of spelling errors by those trying to transcribe what they hear.

The marriage record looks like a good possibility. Sending away for it may give the parents names for Katherine and John.

Regarding the John Kempista listing in the Philadelphia city directories, not sure if it is your Kempisty, just the closest listing to the name that I found.

I am guessing that the original form in Poland of Kempisty was probably something more like "Kempczynski".
I didn't find anything listed in naturalization records for the Kempisty (or similar spellings).

Regarding your Carroll and your Flanagan listings, do you have more information about those names (approximate birthdates, census listings, etc)?

Posted: 9 Aug 2009 11:16PM GMT
Thanks for the help! I know Margaret Carroll (Hoye) (my great great grandmother, came here from Glasgow 1919 Dec 4th with her children..names Mary, John and Margaret, I think John her husband, was already here in Phila. PA before them getting things settled for his family.

The Flanagan side has been here longer I believe then the rest of my family around the 1870s or earlier in Philadelphia PA, I have information on my great grandfather Samuel Flanagan, but not a whole lot on his parents, not sure if his mother's name was Bridget not sure on his father's name.

Re: Samuel Flanagan

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 12:11AM GMT
Surnames: Flanagan, Kelly
The maiden name of Mary is not Muth so I am guessing that this is the wrong Samuel Flanagan?

Philadelphia Inquirer – Jan 30, 1909:
FLANAGAN,-Jan 28, 1909, SAMUEL J FLANAGAN, husband of Mary A Flanagan (nee Kelly), son of Bridget and the late Isaac Flanagan, aged 56 years. Relatives and friends are invited to attend funeral, Monday, at 8:30 A M. from his late residence, 951 Frankford ave., High Mass in Church of the Immaculate Conception. Interment Holy Cross Cemetery.

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 12:31AM GMT
Your on the money with that..that was..my great great grandfather..his family, why he had the high mass.. they were the founder's of that church from what my mom just told me. So his parent's were Bridget and Isaac..that's helpful that I know their names now.
Samuel Flanagan had a son named after him..he married a Mary and I thought her lastname was possibly Muth..but talking to my mom we arent sure..it could be Muth or Corcoran..that would be my great grandparents. All this gets a bit confusing after a while lol. Thank you though for that information..now I can look back even further.

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 1:20AM GMT
Feel free to email me directly at patriciahelfand at comcast.net. For some reason, I am not receiving email notices for a lot of my posts, so it is possible that I may miss some replies.

Is the following your Samuel Flannagan also? If so, it lists that Mary has 4 children/2 deceased. If that is the case, then possibly Samuel was married twice - perhaps even to two different Marys.

1900 United States Federal Census
about Samuel Flannagan
Name: Samuel Flanagan
Home in 1900: Philadelphia Ward 18, Philadelphia, Pa; 956(?) Frankford av
Birth Date: Nov 1851
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Ethnicity: American
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: New Jersey
Mother's Birthplace: Ireland
Spouse's Name: Mary
Marriage Year: 1885
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 15
Samuel Flannagan; salesman 48
Mary Flannagan, b. Aug 1852 PA; 4 ch/2 surv 47
Mary Flannagan; b. Mar 1886 PA 14
Samuel Flannagan; b. May 1894 6
Ella Flannagan; b. June 1890 10

Re: Flanagan,Muth, Kempisty, Carroll,

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 10:59PM GMT
I have a great aunt, Ida Mood (Muth) Bauers , The Muths(Moods) lived in the Fishtown area..amany people in the part of the city tended to float back and forthm bewteen Phila on one side and Camden on the other side of the Delaware Robert Bauers, rbauers@verizon.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions