Search for content in message boards

1870 Census

1870 Census

Posted: 27 May 2013 3:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have an 1870 census for a family member that states they were living in a town/post office, by the name of Franklin in Cache County, Utah. The problem is I cannot find any information on where this town/post office was located. Does anyone know where it was located? Thanks for any help.

Dan

Re: 1870 Census

Posted: 27 May 2013 3:19PM GMT
Franklin is actually in Franklin County, Idaho. Not sure why the respondent said it was in Utah. It was thought it was in Utah at first, but later realized that it was Idaho and it became the first settlement in the Idaho area.

Posted: 28 May 2013 2:29PM GMT
I was kind of thinking that it was town of Franklin, Idaho, but it is clear as a bell that the census record is for "Franklin" in Cache County, Utah Territory. So I took a look at a couple of crude maps of the Utah and Idaho Territories and from what I can see the border between the two was set when the Idaho Territory was formed in 1863, and never changed. There were changes made in the territory's borders, but it was caused by cutting out the Montana and Dakota Territories in 1864 and the Wyoming Territory in 1868. So I would say that for some reason, like, the people living there wanted to believe that Franklin was in the Utah Territory and used that on all official documents. Than at some point in time it was shown that it was in fact in Idaho and all documents where then shifted to that. This is kind of like the border dispute between Massachusetts and Rhode Island and why we now have a Bristol County in both.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Posted: 28 May 2013 3:58PM GMT
Living in Cache Valley, I've heard that the residents of the Valley were confused by the boundary lines set in 1863. The census taker included Franklin as part of Cache County because of this confusion. I understand it had even been a confusion when it came to taxes, etc.! Not long after the 1870 census the confusion was cleared up, but even to this day the people of Franklin identify themselves strongly with the rest of us in "Cache Valley".

Posted: 28 May 2013 4:11PM GMT
I don't think it is just Franklin residents who consider themselves from Cache Valley, it is the whole area near there as well. Cache Valley is a special place I absolutely love. My third great-grandfather, Peter Maughan, settled that area, being sent there by Brigham Young, and it has remained a part of my family since then. Our reunions are held there and many trips have been made there over the years on Memorial Day and for other events.

Posted: 29 May 2013 6:12PM GMT
I can see how that occurred as Franklin basically sits on the state line. Your email help to confirm what I was thinking. Thanks.

Posted: 29 May 2013 6:17PM GMT
Sounds like a nice place to live. Like a lot of families, I had several lines that started off living somewhere in northern Utah, but were then asked to move south and help settle southern Utah; Beaver and Iron Counties is where most of my lines ended up. But one, The West’s, were then asked to help settle what became Snowflake, AZ.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions