Search for content in message boards

emigrants from the Dedenborn/Simmerath area, Eifel mountains, near Monschau and Aachen, Northrhine-Westfalia

emigrants from the Dedenborn/Simmerath area, Eifel mountains, near Monschau and Aachen, Northrhine-Westfalia

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 4:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Aug 2011 4:22PM GMT
Hi to those with roots in Dedenborn (including Rauchenauel and Seifenauel, today part of Simmerath in the Eifel mountains, close to Monschau and Aachen, Northrhine Westfalia.

I'm in touch with a local researcher who has written about the emigrants from the Simmerath area to the United States (18th and 19th centuries). Most of them settled near Milwaukee/Wisconsin.

The following names are mentioned on a list that he sent me today asking if I could help him find out what happened to those emigrants after they settled down in the States:

Breuer, Wollgarten, Hermanns, Jansen, Grohs, Hermes, Löhrer, Gerhards, Berners, Pleus, Schröder, Walber

If you are descendents to one of those immigrants to Wisconsin, please get in touch with me at info@iffland-genealogie.de. I'll connect you with Josef Löhrer. He has a lot of info on the German emigrants as long as they left the country.

Thanks.

Gaby

Re: emigrants from the Dedenborn/Simmerath area, Eifel mountains, near Monschau and Aachen, Northrhine-Westfalia

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 5:14PM GMT
Wisconsin has a population of close to 6,000,000, over half of whom have German ancestry. Instead of just a list of surnames, it would be helpful if you had first names and emigration dates, if possible. Otherwise you may get many responses that are false positives.

Re: emigrants from the Dedenborn/Simmerath area, Eifel mountains, near Monschau and Aachen, Northrhine-Westfalia

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 8:02PM GMT
Thanks for your hint. But I'm just trying to do someone a favor. I do not have the time to type that list. Those who are interested may get a scan of the list or I look at it to find out if I have got their name on it.

Thanks, though.

Gaby

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 10:44PM GMT
Well, I was going to try to help find some of those emigrants, but forget it. I'm not interested in looking for a needle in a haystack.

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 7:55PM GMT
Sorry you had to deal with someone who sounded so harsh when you were trying to be helpful. I just ran across this thread and thought I'd give it a try. I have relatives from the Milwaukee area who came from Germany; they are the Sheibe's and the Moser's. My great, great grandfather, John Moser married Ernestine Moser and then they moved to Appleton. However, she died and then he remarried a Mary SJ Bardaerry. After 1880 in Appleton, they just disappeared. I have no idea what to do next because I'm not even sure where he came from other than living in Milwaukee. I've tried death records, cemetary records, census records, address books, etc., to no avail. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Blessings,
Chris Moran

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 3:08AM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2012 2:40PM GMT
If you or Josef Löhrer would like to check for individuals in the resource: "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items", please contact me directly. Look-ups for individuals are gratis.

The index covers the years 1844-1950, currently 351,900 entries. The core of the data is death notices and obituaries, but also many thousands of Wo ist/Wo sind..? queries from around the U.S. and Germany, heirs lists, etc. Indexing is ongoing.

Gary Rebholz, compiler & editor
Milwaukee, Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007 ... because _somebody_ had to do it!

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 7:46PM GMT
Hi Gary,

thank you very much for your kind offer.
Mr Löhrer unfortunately does not speak English. I'll contact you directly.

Gaby

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 12:23AM GMT
Corresponding in German is also OK. I'm sending you a sample of what I'm indexing from these papers.

Gary Rebholz

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 7:54AM GMT
Thank you so much, Gary. I'll forward your info to Mr Löhrer, the local researcher for the Simmerath area. He will be happy to have a chance to correspond in German with you.

Gaby

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 11:08PM GMT
Hello! I speak German, so either way is OK. I am related to (at least several of) the families mentioned in this post, via
Eva Catharina Breuer (born 25 Dec 1832 in Dedenborn). She married Christian Laufenberg and died 5 Dec 1890. She is my great (x3) grandmother. Thank you! Sonya Rosenthal Rousseau
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions