Search for content in message boards

1940 census Location of Crabtree Street?

1940 census Location of Crabtree Street?

Posted: 6 May 2012 1:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have looked through half of the 1940 census rolls of Durham,looking for Crabtree Street or Avenue.Since there is not a surname index yet,I have no idea which section to be looking for.
The only Crabtree St.I have found is presently off of Carver Street,between Duke and Roxboro Rd.
got any indeas how I can find the roll of film I need?

Re: 1940 census Location of Crabtree Street?

Posted: 6 May 2012 2:00PM GMT
Ancestry.com has a very useful street index to the 1940 census, in advance of the name index. Crabtree Street is listed in Durham Ward 5, section 32-43. There are 48 pages in this set. In a quick page-through, I found a few houses on Crabtree on page 28, and more on pp. 32-33. A lot of the street names are hard to read, but judging from the ones I can make out, this seems to be the area north of Duke Hospital, including Pettigrew Street, Crest Street, 15th Street, and Fulton Street. The Durham Freeway (NC 147) now runs through this area, and its construction severely impacted the neighborhood. My guess is that the Crabtree Street in this section of the census no longer exists, and that it's not the same as the Crabtree Avenue that you found near Carver Street.

Posted: 7 May 2012 12:20PM GMT
Elizabeth,Thank you so much for replying to me!! I was immediately able to go straight to the page and find who I was looking for with your information.I spent 2 days looking through all those rolls of film without any luck.Course I was mainly searching in the area I thought was where the street was!!
I am not fimiliar with how you used the street index and the name index with Ancestry.com.I thought for the 1940 census only 3 states had a surname index?
Anyway,I am grateful that you helped me out,otherwise I would be back to searching all those rolls of film.

Posted: 7 May 2012 5:55PM GMT
The name index for 1940 isn't in place yet. However, the street search works well.

From the Ancestry.com main page, choose census records, and then "browse the 1940 census". Continue through several pull-down menus to choose state, city, and street.

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 1:19AM GMT
I lived on Crabtree Street from 1948- 1954. The street is located in the western part of Durham.Today it is called Trent Drive. It runs horizonal to Hillsborough Road (Hillsboro) and Main Street. Do not recall the name of Main Street in the 50's.
BG

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 2:07PM GMT
Thanks for the reply.It would make more sense for the street to be in that location,since the mill was close by.
Do you remember what the name of the building was on the corner of Hillsboro Rd.and Trent Drive?I think Bubba Suitt owned it.I vaguely remember it being a icehouse but years later they turned it into a restuarant or grill?

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 3:18PM GMT
The driveinn was located more behind the ice house facing Trent Drive (CRABTREE).Could have been called Bubba's because Bubba Suitt did own it.
Today a large building sits on that land. It has housed several restaurants and is now empty. On the opposite corner was a cafe. I went there often as a young child to buy ice cream.
Wish I could remember more--think I will ask my brother what he remembers.
ONE Question--Did you live on Crabtree Street?
BGC
per page

Find a board about a specific topic