Search for content in message boards

Children immigrating alone

Children immigrating alone

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 10:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Marshall, Camper
I am looking for information about my husband's immigrant ancestor. He is listed on the passenger list of the "Wyoming" in 1881 and is in the Utah newspapers as arriving "for Logan". He was 11 at this time. His mother and step father didn't arrive until a year and a half later.
It is obvious that he traveled with other LDS immigrants on the ship but there is no obvious relative or friend. I am also curious to learn who cared for him during the time between his arrival and his family's. Was there a program for this kind of situation? How could I find out about this?

Re: Children immigrating alone

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 4:02PM GMT
Interesting situation.

While I can't speak to any knowledge about this specific situation, elsewhere in the US there were situations where someone was given passage to America in exchange to work. They were known as indentured servants. It would seem that he would have been able to offer quite a bit of work to another family with the extra money for passage but knew they'd need the help to get started in a new country.

Re: Children immigrating alone

Posted: 29 Aug 2013 4:41AM GMT
My Samuelsen folk was on this same ship. Consult Perpetual Emigration Fund records. They tell who take care. He may have uncle or aunt already in Logan area and they already covered his travel before parents follow later.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions