Search for content in message boards

Nielsen Family in Taars, Hjorring, Denmark

Nielsen Family in Taars, Hjorring, Denmark

Posted: 22 Mar 2007 2:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nielsen, Ugerby
Looking for info on my great aunt, Ottine Klit Ugerby (given name Ottine Janine Nielsen) b 28 Jan 1890. Had a twin sister, Janine Ottine Nielsen. Her last known address was in June 1971 as norre Tversted, for. Tversted, Danmark 9882.

Anyone out there who may remember her or knows her family?

Re: Nielsen Family in Taars, Hjorring, Denmark

Posted: 8 Aug 2007 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: Nielsen
My great aunt was Hanne Nielsen . Part of her address in 1948 was Taars 11,??,Denmark Butch in Canada

Posted: 9 Aug 2007 2:10AM GMT
I'm not really sure there is a connection. Ottine Janine and Janine Ottine's parents were Christian Frederik Nielsen and Else Marie Nielsen. Other girls born to them were Johanne Kristine Nielsen and Elise Marie Nielsen. Three immigrated to the US. They were Elsea Marie, Oline Amalie, and Thilda Kristine Frederikke Nielsen.
Does this help you in any way?

Sharon

Posted: 9 Aug 2007 2:20AM GMT
I'm not sure if there is any connection. Janine Ottine and Ottine Janine's parents were Christian Frederik Nielsen and Else Marie Nielsen. There is also Johanne Kristine and Elisa Marie Nielsen. Three daughters immigrated to the US. They were Elsea Marie, Oline Amalie, and Thilda Kristine Frederikke Nielsen. These were all my great aunts.

Does this help you at all?

Sharon

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: Nielsen, Neilsen
Hi Sharon, Thamks for replying. I have been trying to reply to you, but had some problems that I have finally figured out. In answer, it's hard to say if there is a connection as I have so little info to go on. The letter I have is from my Grandpa's sister Hanne (Pedersen) Neilsen of Taars 11, Norregade. It was in Danish, but I had it translated and it really contains very little info. For example she mentions a son in Canada, but no name and also a son in New Zeeland, but again, no name. Anyhow, thanks for trying, Butch

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 7:12PM GMT
Hi Butch,
I have not heard anyone speaking of a person by the name of Hanne Pedersen Nielsen from Taars. I do have some men in my family that were born in Taars, but if you don't have any names to go on, that won't be much help. I don't remember anyone speaking of a man in New Zealand as they stayed in Denmark. If you have dates, I may be able to direct you to a website for censuses. I have found info on census yr. 1921 and earlier. If you have a birth date for Hanne or even your grandfather, you might find something. Let me know.
Sharon

Posted: 1 Sep 2007 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: Pedersdotter
Hi Sharon, I actually found a great site with the census and other info, but as I have so little info on my Danish roots it's slow going, but may have found Hanne under the surname, Pedersdotter, that old Danish variation.
The site has many other countries and I was able to trace my mother's family back to the 1600's.
http://danishgenealogy.homestead.com/danishgenealogy.html

Have a look. Butch

Posted: 9 Sep 2007 6:32PM GMT
Hi Butch,
Thanks for the site. It has many sites incoporated that I have searched for. I think I'll use the guest book to try to find (2) great uncles that served in the Royal Danish Army. Maybe someone could help. I have also been using http://www.dis-danmark.dk to find census. I think my great grandmother fostered some children and it gives the household names. (It is the KIP Projektet.)
Hope this helps you. Good luck.
Sharon

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:27AM GMT
I have been looking for Danish relatives for years - hard to find when Nielsen is the 2nd most common name in Denmark .. I have attached my Grandfathers/Grandmothers family - brothers and sisters -- etc below -- They lived in Taars before they immigrated to canada in 1922
Attachments:

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 7:23PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 7:33PM GMT
Fran, perhaps if you start a thread of your own now about this family, you will finally receive the help you need. The volunteer researchers in Danish forums now are very skilled and very active.

Genforum also has an excellent Denmark Forum with expert volunteer researchers.

Another spot for help is Slaegt og Data DIS-Danmark “Finding Your Relatives in Denmark” forum. I would focus on one task you ask of volunteers, such as filling in the birth dates for the children of Anders Martinus Nielsen and Kirsten Marie Jensen, and then continue on filling out the family history from there, one step at a time.

Here is a (probable) family member for you (see LINK). She lives in Calgary, Canada, and posted a query on Slaegt og Data DIS-Danmark in 2007 regarding Anders Martinus Nielsen and Kirsten Marie Jensen.

By exploring this line, perhaps it will emerge why the differences between your list and the census data. Here’s the LINK:

http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?1,331358,331369

The post is hard to understand, and written in Danish, so I’ll try to interpret, in case that helps. She is asking about the parents of Petra Jensen Nielsen born 02 December 1891 in Vennebjerg. Her own family history has the parents noted as Kristine Marie Rub?k born about 1871 in Hjørring, and Mathinus Nielsen. The forum members looked at the baptismal record for Petra Jensen Nielsen. There they found the “true” names of her parents - Anders Martinus Nielsen and Kirsten Marie Jensen. One volunteer researcher suggests that the illegible name Rub?k “comes from his mother, who was Thomine Rubaek.”

The forum further says Anders Martinus Nielsen was born 18 April 1859 in Løkken, Furreby, Børglum, Hjørring. Kirsten Marie Jensen was born 03 January 1861 in Sindal
In 1890 this couple lived in Norre Harritslev, Vennebjerg, Vennebjerg, Hjørring, Denmark. See CENSUS:
Hjørring, Vennebjerg, Vennebjerg, Nr. Harritslev
Anders M. Nielsen 30, married, Arbmd, Husmand born in Løkken
Kirsten Marie Jensen 29, married,, born in Sindal
Ane Tomine Nielsen 7 born in Nr. Harritslev <-----notice the name Tomine
Johan Robert Nielsen 6 born in Vennebjerg
Chr. Valdemar Nielsen 4 born in Nr. Harritslev
Niels Chr. Nielsen 1 born in Vennebjerg

1880 here is this Anders, unmarried and working on a farm in Harritslev, LINK:
http://www.ddd.dda.dk/asp/vis_husstand.asp

This could be Thomine but I have not verified if this is the correct woman, as the first step would be to find the births of the children of Anders Martinus Nielsen and Kirsten Marie Jensen:
http://www.ddd.dda.dk/asp/vis_husstand.asp

And again:
http://www.mollr.info/getperson.php?personID=I415&tree=0...

A little note about names: Rudbaek/Rudbek, etc. is a place name. In old naming practices, a Dane could be called by a place name interchangably with a patronymic name (for example Niels's son, Niels's daughter) or (Jens's son or Jens's daughter). My mother's Danish maiden name is a place name. Read about Danish naming practices if you haven't already done so - this can help explain why Danish genealogists can accept (after research) that the same person could have two apparently different "suranames" (these aren't true surnames as we think of surnames).

So...that's a little jump forward I hope and much much more can be uncovered from this starting point. All good wishes, and happy new year. :D

P.S. A person can be called by their middle name instead of their first name. I'll ask two of my grandparents to step forward as an example of this. So Petra Jensine could be Jensine on your list.

Med venlig hilsen

To get help from others on slaegt og data:
http://www.slaegtogdata.dk/andet/forum-help-english

To "do-it-yourself" a list of helpful websites:
http://www.slaegtogdata.dk/forum/index.php/topic,41708.0.htm...

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions