Search for content in message boards

Marion Collett of Cache Co.

Marion Collett of Cache Co.

Posted: 8 Oct 2013 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Collett
We're researching Marion Collett, who is listed in the Census as having been born in Cache County to Sylvanus Collett and Phoebe Merrill, but was in fact born at sea and adopted circa 1870 (this is not conjecture; we have confirmed it through vital and LDS church records).

Is there any possible way to find out what ship he was born on? Is there anyone who might know anything about him?

Re: Marion Collett of Cache Co.

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 12:51AM GMT
Tell me if I have the correct Sylvanus Collette. I have several books on Utah County genealogy, specifically the city of Lehi. The Sylvanus Collette in found in one of my books was married to Lydia Karren. Let me know if any of this is familiar and I can scan the biography of Sylvanus and email it you.
Sylvanus (Syl) Collette settled in Lehi, Utah County, Utah, at the age of 21 yrs.
He was the eldest son of Daniel Collett (Colett) and Esther Jones a native of Wales.
Daniel was an Englishman of Norman Ancestry.

Sylvanus Collette died April 10, 1901, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

While living in Lehi Sylvanus married Lydia Karren, daughter of Thomas Karren. They had a son, Sylvanus jr. who drowned in the river creek near Lehi.

Death certificate attached for a Mary Merrill Collette, daughter of Phoebe Lodema Collette.
Says she was born 4/21/1870, Cache county, Utah, Father and Mother both born in N.Y.

Your records indicate that she was born at sea and would like to find out what ship the Collettes were on at the time. I'll see what I can find and let you know.

2nd attachment is for Phoebe Lodema Collette Thompson (another query on ancestry)

Attachments:

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 1:10AM GMT
That is the correct Sylvanus, but he was born in England in about 1835. I believe Lydia Karren was his legal wife, but he was a polygamist and married Phoebe Merrill in 1864-5.

It's Marion (who was male) who was born at sea and adopted, not Mary. Census records make it appear as though he and Mary were twins, but they weren't.

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 1:43AM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2013 1:45AM GMT
Lydia Karren Collette was the sister-in-law of my 2nd great grand aunt.

In otherwords, My 2nd Great Aunt Maria Lawrence Karren, she was married to John Karren.
John Karren was the son of Thomas Karren, in turn Thomas Karren was the Father of Lydia Karren Collette.

Maria Lawrence was the daughter of John Lawrence and Rhoda Safford.
Maria was the mother of Mary Ellen lawrence Thomas. Mary Ellen Lawrence Thomas was the Mother of Mary Ellen Thomas. Mary Ellen Thomas married Thomas Herbert Austin. They are my Grandmother's parents and My great Grandparents.

Wheew!

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 5:34PM GMT
Interesting... Well, officially, Marion was the son of Phoebe Merrill, but he wasn't sealed to Phoebe and Sylvanus until 2008, decades after his death.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic