Search for content in message boards

Thomas & Martha (Harris) Snell

Thomas & Martha (Harris) Snell

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 8:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Nov 2004 11:35AM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Harris
I am a direct descendant of the above listed Snell family. We have our family reunions every year, most generally held in Wichita, KS, this next year will be on the 2nd Saturday of July. This last July, we met on the 3rd. Any descendants of the Thomas/Harris Snell family are most warmly invited to attend. Please e-mail me at marlajs@swbell.net for any information regarding this Bridgewater, Plymouth Co., MA family, who came from Fillongley, Warwickshire, England. I have put together over a 200 page book on the history of this Snell family & in the process have met several distant cousins with which I've been able to obtain much information on the Snell descendants. My line left Bridgewater & moved to Woolwich, Lincoln Co., Union Township, ME before moving on down into Knox Co., Pike Township, OH. From there, they moved on to WI, MO, KS & other states as well.

Re: Thomas & Martha (Harris) Snell

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 1:53PM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS, FLETCHER, HAINES, KENNEDY, KIGHT, PAULK, SNELL, SWAIN, TYLER, TANNER, WRIGHT, YOUNG
Hello, I am descended from a Martha A.C. Snell, Born c. 1834 to John Christopher SNELL (1799-1868) and Nancy SWAIN, in GA, m. Matthew TANNER 07 Feb 1851 in Washington Co., GA. Are our families connected? I have just connected to the Snell family and am looking for any information I can get.

Matthew TANNER and Martha A.C. SNELL are my G-G-Grandparents. Their son, Bartow B. TANNER was my G-Grandfather.

Thanks,

Bernard Tanner Paulk

Researching ADAMS, FLETCHER, HAINES, KENNEDY, KIGHT, PAULK, SNELL, SWAIN, TYLER, TANNER, WRIGHT, YOUNG primarily in GA.

Re: John C. Snell and Nancy Swain

Darlene Athey Hill (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2004 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Swain
Bernard,

Your Snell line traces back to Henry Snell, who immigrated to South Carolina in 1735. I replied to your previous post in which you were seeking data on your Snell lineage (see my post of 1 Nov 2004) and I provided quite a bit of data.

As mentioned before, John C. Snell (born c 1799) was the son of Christopher/Christian Snell (1752-c1835), son of Barnett/Barnard Snell (c 1717-1782), son of Henry Snell (c 1685-1763). This Snell line does not connect to the line from Massachusetts who holds reunions in Kansas.

As offered before, I would be most happy to assist you with your Snell lineage. Feel free to contact me at rockerdar@aol.com.

Darlene Athey Hill

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 9:42AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2005 8:49AM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Redfield, Adcock, Thurmond, & the list goes on & on!
Darlene, Thank you most sincerely for your offer to help. I suspect that your line may have come from Germany. Our line came from Fillongley, Warwickshire, England, & landed in Plymouth County, MA. Some of this Snell family, I'm sure went south through NY & into the Carolinas into Georgia. However, my line, went north to ME & then SW to Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, & Kansas. I have the Snell line pretty well downpat, but am always looking for more information on this family. The Snell family was pretty prolific down through the years. Huge, BIG, families.

Darlene Athey Hilled (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2004 3:34PM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Malott
Hi Marla,

Yes, my Snell line did indeed come over from Germany. Their name was Schnell at that time. A large group of Germans and Swiss immigrated into South Carolina in the early 1730s. The Snell family was one of them. My line then went south into Georgia and then over into Alabama. Some of them also had very large families, as you mention that yours did.

Part of this Snell line became Loyalists during the Revolutionary War and were 'evacuated' to Nova Scotia afterwards. A few years later they came back to the U.S. (although not back south!) into Maryland. One of them, Daniel S. Snell and his wife Edna Malott ultimately moved to the Clermont, Ohio area.

I'm always willing to help anyone trying to make connections with my lines. I truly believe that 'what goes around comes around.'

Darlene

Posted: 17 Nov 2004 7:22AM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Redfield, Adcock, Thurmond, Hoar, Zolman, Monroe, Packard, Washburn, Alden, Grinnell, Lathrop, Edson, Harris
Thanks, Darlene, It's always so helpful to have those like you to be available for help when one needs it. My mother thought at one time that our Snell family might have come from Germany, but in all of the generations that I've researched, they come from Fillongley, Warwickshire, England>Bridgewater, Plymouth Co., MA>Woolwich, Lincoln Co., Union Tnp., ME>Richland/Knox/Morrow Co., OH>Richland Co., WI>IA, MO, & KS. The earliest that I have found recorded so far is the early 1500's. Once again, thanks!
Marla

Joyce Hansen (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2004 10:26PM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Seamans, Kingsbury, Whitaker, Tanno, Hansen & more
Marla, do you have any of your MA Snells moving to Ashford, Windham Co., CT? The earliest I've been able to find is William Snell, Sr. and Jr. who appear in the 1790 and 1800 censuses of Ashford. William Snell, Jr. was born 8/29/1762 and died 12/11/1827 and was married to Polly Chaffee who was born in 1766 maybe in Wales, MA.

Posted: 18 Nov 2004 7:01AM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Redfield, Adcock, Thurmond, Hoar, Zolman, Bowker (Burker), Monroe, Clement, Hosmer, Edson, Bustard, & the list goes on.
Joyce, thanks for writing. You know, I don't recall my line of Snell's going to CT. However, my Redfield lineage lived in various areas of CT for several years. Interestingly, one of my Redfield ancestors married a great granddaughter of John Alden & Priscilla (Mullins) Alden. John & Priscilla's daughter Elizabeth married a William Pabodie (Peabody) & they had a daughter named Lydia who married a Daniel Grinnell. Priscilla Grinnell, their daughter, was the young lady who married my Theophilius Redfield. It is also interesting that Josiah Snell, a brother 4 years older to Amos Snell (my line) married Anna Alden, daughter of Jonathan Alden, & granddaughter of John & Priscilla Alden. So, as you can see, there is Alden blood, (thru marriage) not directly in my Snell line, but directly in my Redfield line. Thomas & Martha (Harris) Snell were the parents of both Josiah & Amos Snell. This family had ten children. Then, my Amos & his brother just younger than he, John, married Packard sisters. They all were from the Bridgewater, Plymouth Co., MA area. However, there were Snell's who left Bridgewater, MA & travelled south thru CT & into NY State. There is a place known today as "Snell's Bush" or "Snell's Meadow" in NY State. So, I know that part of that early family ended up moving south from MA. Mine went from MA to ME to OH to WI to MO to KS. And, let's not forget where they originated from, Fillongley, Warwickshire, England.

Joyce Hansen (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2004 6:07PM GMT
Marla, where in NY is "Snell's Bush" or "Snell's Meadow"? My Snells went from Ashford, CT to Pembroke, Genesee Co., NY. Do you have the names of the siblings of your Amos and Josiah Snell? I am wondering if my William Snell, Sr. could possibly have been a brother, or perhaps a son of a brother.

Re: Snell family in Bridgewater

Posted: 18 Nov 2004 8:20PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2005 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Alden
In reference to the brothers of Josiah Snell, who married Anna Alden (Josiah & Anna were my ancestors), the will of Thomas Snell, Sr., Josiah's father, named six sons. According to what I have, those were Thomas Jr. (b. 1 Feb 1671/72), Josiah (b. 5 May 1674), Samuel (6 Jan 1676/77), Amos (18 May 1678), John (23 Sep 1680), & Joseph (22 Feb 1683/84). Thomas & Martha also had four daughters: Martha (26 Oct 1669), Anna (24 Feb 1685/86), Mary (6 Jan 1689/1690), & Martha (6 Oct 1692). My list of children for Josiah's brothers does not include a William (I went through the vital records for Bridgewater for these), and I don't have a William listed in Josiah's line of descendants until 1821. The book on "The John Alden Family" by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants does not list a William in the Alden descendants, but your William could have belonged to another branch of the same group that did not have the Mayflower link. You didn't mention the dates and places for your William Snell, and that would be helpful to anyone trying to answer your query.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic