Search for content in message boards

Can't even find my own stuff (Robinson)

Can't even find my own stuff (Robinson)

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Oct 2012 11:23PM GMT
Surnames: Robinson
Hello,

First time trying all this. I know a lot of the old history of my family but what interests me most is info on my father. I only have his name. No other info. Where do you suggest I begin? I can't even find where he married my mom. And I know they married and divorced but not when

Re: Can't even find my own stuff

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:57PM GMT
I'm assuming that both your parents are now deceased. Are there other living family members you can ask about their marriage & divorce? Do you know where & when both parents were born, where they lived before and after marriage, after the divorce? We would need a bit more information in order to help, but your tree doesn't show anything we could use for clues.

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 5:55PM GMT
I can tell you cities that my mother and I have lived in until she died. But like I stated I know absolutely nothing about my father. My mother lived in Paoli, IN, Albequerque, NM, Duluth,MN , Anadarko, OK, Poteau, OK, Talihina, OK, Asheville, NC and a couple others. I know that my mother and father divorced around 1974 or early 75. I was told they divorced when I was a year and half old. My mother never wanted me to know him. Don't know why. I have talked to my only living relative, my grandmother Margaret. She thinks that when they divorced he moved from Georgia back up north where he was from. But, she doesn't know where that is. She said maybe wisconsin or michigan but she isn't sure. That's all I got. How will this help? Can you teach me how to do some searching?

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 12:05AM GMT
Just a few things to get you started...

Start here with some of your names...you'd be surprised at what you might find:

https://www.familysearch.org/

If they married or divorced in Georgia, you can use this form to send for information on the marriage/divorce. If they married prior to 1952 and it was in Georgia, the divorce record will probably list the county they married in and then you can send to the probate judge in that county for their marriage record.

http://www.health.state.ga.us/pdfs/vitalrecords/marriagedivo...

If you think your father may have passed away already, you can try this link to search for his obit in Michigan...you might need to change the settings a bit to All Michigan Obituaries, All Time, and plug in whatever name you're searching for (this link allows all USA searching)...also try the Michigan Death Index on Ancestry:

http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/flint/obituary-search.aspx...

There are many other routes to ferret out more data, but this will hopefully get you started. It can be frustrating and slow going sometimes, but don't give up. The info is out there somewhere.

Re: Can't even find my own stuff (Robinson)

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 1:44PM GMT
If you can eventually figure out what state/county your father lives in, you can also search that county's property tax databases to get an address for him....if he owns a house or business.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic