Search for content in message boards

Company G, Cobbs Legion

Company G, Cobbs Legion

Millard Shepherd (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shepherd
Company G Cobb's Legion was formed in July of 1861.A Roster
of the Company is on the Morgan County Web page.Cobb's Legion War Record--the battles this unit was engaged in can be found on the Georgia Military Civil War page on the internet. Does anyone in Morgan County have any materials history of this unit. I do have a copy of the micro-film records from the Georgia Department of Archives & History.This unit was in some of the bloodest battles of the WAR..if anyone has any information on this unit I would appreciate your sharing...THANKS..a curious Great Grand Son.

Company G

Posted: 3 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Shields
In a book about T.R.R.Cobb titled T.R.R. Cobb The Makings Of A Southern Nationalist there is if memory serves me right a letter from a Shields to someone back in Morgan County about an incident when Gazaway Knight then Company Commander of Company G and another officer had a row over a tent. Knight went on to become a Lt.Col. He resigned I beleive in 1862. From what I gather Knight and Cobb didn't get along.

Company G, Cobb's Legion Infantry

Posted: 3 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2002 4:53AM GMT
My GGrandfather was John H. Shields who lived in Madison, Ga and enlisted in the Panola Guards in July, 1861. I have a typed copy of his handwritten letter that lists all the battles he was in. He was never wounded and was in the unit until Lee surrendered. He was a brevet Captain at the end and returned to Madison. He married Josephine Butts, whose brother W.H.H.Butts was also in "G" company. He later moved to Wichita, Kansas and became postmaster there in later years.

SHIELDS

Patsy Harris (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi,
In my book, Early Morgan County, Georgia Newspapers 1842-1861, I have a listing for a J.H. Shields. It refers to the June 31, 1861 issue of the Georgia Weekly Visitor, page 3, in an article about the departure from Madison of the Panola Guards. "...The company left on the down train, on MOnday last, for Richmond, Va. We doubt whether, a company composed of better material, has left Georgia, since the war began..."
J.H. Shields is listed as a private.

Panola Guards & Co. G

Posted: 5 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2002 4:53AM GMT
According to a hand written letter by John H. Shields, he was born June 8, 1844 in Morgan County, Ga and enlisted on July 1, 1861 at Madison, Ga. as a private.

He mustered out of the service on May 1, 1865 near Augusta, Ga, as a brevet Captain.

Thank you for you feedback.

Gene

Neal,Neel Neil

Edited: 30 Jun 2001 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Neal, Downs, Mccullough, Young
Patsy do you have any records on a Frances Roy Neal (Neel),She wed an Oliver Perry Littlefield -They went on to Tx. -1850s -I would very much like to have the price again -so I could buy a copy of your book -E-Mail me!-Llewellyn

JONES in Morgan Co, GA

Tommie Cassels Major (View posts)
Surnames: JONES
Has anyone found a Charlotte JONES m. Henry Castles or Cassels, 1815, Morgan Co, GA? They are my ggggrandparetns
and I have no clue as to her family history. Any info will
be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HEAD, PARTEE, JONES, NEILL

Patsy Harris (View posts)
In my book re: Morgan COunty Newspapers, there are MANY listings for JONES and HEAD. PARTEE includes Abner and Elbert Y. No NEILLs, but I do have NEAL, NEEL and NELL.

Holler back with some first names!

Patsy

Book on Early Morgan County

Edited: 21 Jul 2001 12:49PM GMT
Surnames: HEAD, PARTEE, JONES, NIELL
Shields is not my line of research, but I couldn't resist asking if your book makes any reference(s) to the surnames of Head, Partee, Jones, and/or Niell. Doris

"G" Company Cobb's Legion

Posted: 6 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Shields, Shepherd
That is interesting. Captain Shields is Mustered out near
Augusta. M.C. Shepherd is a paroled prisoner of War. The
copy I have of his PAROLED PRISONER'S PASS is as follows:
"Appomattox Courthouse,Va.,dated April 10, 1865 states that
THE BEARER, Pvt. M.C. Shepherd, of Co. G.,Cobb's Legion, of
Ga.,a Paroled Prisoner of the Army of Northern Virginia,has
permission to go to his home and there remain undisturbed."