Classification: Query
This post was deleted by the author on 2 Feb 2013 7:41PM GMT

Re: RI Vital Records

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:08PM GMT

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:35PM GMT
I am assuming these should be considered as "other" because the page does not distinguish what the records are although they look like birth. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, don't know how to index records starting with Nathaniel and below. Who is the father, William or John; and who is the mother, Prudence Isle or Mary?
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:56PM GMT
Yes, if it doesn't say that they are births or whatever, you should key them as "other".

William is the father. John is the grandfather, but you don't need to key his name. Prudence Isle is the name of a place on Rhode Island, not a person. (I had the same confusion the first time I came across Rehoboth!) It's not very clear whether Mary is the mother or the grandmother because there is no comma between John and Mary but I think she is probably the mother.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 1:19AM GMT
One more question. On marriage record, Mary Jenckes father is William. Should Jenckes be entered in Spouse Father Surname? Thanks for your help.
Attachments:

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 1:40AM GMT
I need help once more. David Condron married Deborah Brovidence or Maria F Remington??? or is it saying David of Deborah of Providence and Maria F Remington of Cranston?
Attachments:

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 11:08AM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 11:08AM GMT
Mary Jenckes - yes, the keying instructions for spouse's father's surname state "If no surname is stated, the spouse father's surname should be keyed from the child's surname."

David -this is more puzzling. I think it is a typesetting error, and is supposed to be two different marriages - David Condron married Deborah, and then Maria F Remington married someone else but they have missed his name out. FamilySearch have Maria F Remington marrying Thomas H Condy on that date at Providence, but of course we aren't allowed to copy information from that site and have to work with what it says on the image! I suspect that Deborah's surname was not Brovidence but something else beginning with B, and then the rest of her name and a line or two got lost and her name got stuck onto the end of the place name "Providence".

Anyway... as I said, we are supposed to key what is on the image, not to correct errors, so I think what you have to do is to key it as two marriages:
David Condron married Deborah Brovidence 23 Aug 1815
David Condron married Maria F Remington 23 Aug 1815.

I don't think there are many errors like this in the project, thank goodness!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic