Search for content in message boards

Tom Speller descendents

Tom Speller descendents

Carroll leggett (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Speller

Seeking a list of the children of the Bertie plantation owner, Tom Speller, who was a major suppprter of the Condeferacy and was harrassed by Union Troops during the war. Believe my great grandafther, Bythel Leggett, was an overseer on the Speller plantation and married one of his daugthers. Photo of Bythel Leggett, however, shows him in what may be a Union Navy uniform. Family lore is that he moved to Bertie after the war from the Plymouth area. Not sure what date. And would a Confederate like Speller consent to his daughter's marrying a union man, if Leggett was one?

Does anyone have info?

Speller Ancestors

Virginia Holland (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas Speller

My husband is believied to be a descendant of Thomas Speller of Bertie Co., NC. ARe you related to Mary Speller Leggett, Ebb Leggett, Anna Bertie Leggett? Pls contact me and I will provide more info.

SARA ELIZA SPELLER

Posted: 14 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: THOMPSON, SPELLER, HINTON, HYMAN
My gggreat grandparents Noah Hinton and Sara Eliza (SPELLER) THOMPSON are on the 1850 Bertie County Census. Can you help me with this SPELLER family?? Sara Eliza was the daughter of Thomas and Eizabeth (HYMAN) SPELLER.

Thomas speller

Joel Speller (View posts)
Reguarding Thomas Speller of Bertie county N.C., I am a direct desendant of Thomas Speler and I may be able to help you in your search. Joel Speller
Edited: 16 Nov 2002 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: Henry Speller
My gggg grandmother, Mary Phillaw purchased lot #46 in Windsor, Bertie County in 1783. The deed from the county commissioners was witnessed by Henry SPELLER. Is this Henry Speller connected to the Spellers you are interested in?

Re: Speller Ancestors

Charles Bradley Speller (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2002 1:25AM GMT
Anna Bertie Leggett (Speller) was my grandmother- married to Tom Speller. My fater Charles Eugene Speller is the youngest of her 12 children- he still lives in Windsor, NC and I live in Raleigh. We have traced back to Henry Speller -1710 is the earliest we can lcate records- appears he may have come to NC from York, Maine and was originally from England; but we can't confirm the York connection...

Charlie S.

carroll Leggett (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2002 12:36PM GMT
Surnames: Leggett, Speller
Thanks for this. Knew we always called your grandmother "Cousin Anna." Do you know who her father was ?

I had reason at one time to think that my great frandafther Bythiel Leggett was married to a Speller. Seems he was married twice and shortly after the second marriage moved to the Speller Planation from the Greens Cross area where he had a farm (Bertie County)-- early 1870s. That's how the Leggetts got to the Indian Woods/Siloam Church community.community. By chance, do you know anything about a connection with the Spellers with Bythiel?

By the way, is your father "Bunk"? If so, he and my brother Turner are close, and I visited his farm near Siloam a few years ago. Great pomergrante bush! Your Uncle Tommy and my father and mother were good friends. Tommy's wife Margerite and my mother corresponded until Mother's death on September 3, 2000.

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 4:04AM GMT
I'm looking for more information on Thomas Speller, who was married to Mary Ridley, and who was the father of C.B. Speller. I've seen a few people online say this Thomas Speller was descended from Henry Speller and Patience Parris. Can anyone connect the dots for me? Who was Thomas's father? I've seen some references to a Thomas Speller in Bertie, NC, son of Henry, who lived to be 116. I suspect that is an error. Please let me know if anyone has developed a reliable family tree. Thanks!

Posted: 1 May 2013 2:04AM GMT
My grandfathers name was tom speller he lived in Windsor NC andthe was a descendant of slaves.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions