Search for content in message boards

Coles of PA, Culpeper VA

Coles of PA, Culpeper VA

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 4:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole, Chapman
I'm seaching for a Sarah Cole who married my ancestor, Isaac Chapman, who settled in that part of Orange County VA
that became Culpeper in 1749. Isaac died in 1747, and I know nothing of what became of his widow; his children Isaac, John, Richard and Jemimah, migrated south to the New River VA and Alabama.

The Last Will and Testament of Susannah Cole, wife of John Cole, executed in Culpeper county in September 1761, bequeaths to a Sarah Ann Cole, with no mention of her married name. “Item: I give to my daughters Ann and Sarah Ann Cole bed & furniture, also two heiffers and to my daughters the whole duly (duty?) man to them & their heirs.” "Item: I give to my daughters Judith & Susannah Cole one bed & furniture, also two cows to them & their heirs." "Item: My will & desire is that the remainder of my estate be equally divided between my sons Richard & John Cole and my daughters Martha Reynolds, Judith Cole, Susannah Cole, Ann Cole & Sarah Ann Cole to them & their heirs."

Who were these Coles?

From a Rootsweb listing, John Cole, born in Pennsylvania in about 1680, was a farmer, and is said to have operated a still in Culpeper Virginia before dying in 1757. He and his wife Susanna had the following children:

John Cole born about 1700
Mary Ann Cole born about 1702
Judith Cole born about 1704
Alice Cole bon about 1706
Susanna Cole born about 1708
Sarah Ann Cole born about 1710
Martha Cole born about 1712
Richard Cole born 1729 in Pennsylvania

Back to Isaac Chapman: he was said (by his grandson Henley) to have come to VA from England by way of New England.

Might this have been the same Sarah Cole who married Isaac?

Might he have crossed paths with these Coles as he passed through Pennsylvania, married Sarah and whisked her away to Virginia (accompanied by her sister Susanna)? Might father John and mother Susanna have come to Culpeper to retire with their daughters?

I understand that much of this is detailed in Cole Family History, Warfield & Gaebl, 1959. Does anyone know of this book?

Rees Chapman

Re: Coles of PA, Culpeper VA

Posted: 18 Oct 2008 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole
Hello, Rees

I am a decedent of Richard Cole born in PA 1729, married to Ann Hubbard. Though this John Cole had a son named Richard, it is unlikely that this is my decedent. There is a 15 year gap between siblings and Richard did not name any children John, nor is it a family name through the generations. There was a family in Chester Co. PA whose father and mother had died around the late 1720's and their sons migrated to VA. It is a possibility that this John was one of the sons.

Sorry, I can't help you with your Sarah.

Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions