Search for content in message boards

Moore

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 1:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore
While on a walking tour of Evergreen Cemetery, Colorado Springs, I observed a veteran's headstone with the following inscription: "D. A. More - Co I - 1 Maine Cav."
There was no other information.

Having grown up in Maine, I was curious. I believe this is the grave of Delmont Moore, who appears in the 1860 census household of Samuel and Ann Moore in Waldo. He was born about 1834. He had one brother (Wyatt W.) and two sisters (Celia and Frances.) Delmont is listed on the National Park Service database of Civil War soldiers.

Does anyone know anything about the family or descendents?

Re: Moore

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 7:10AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: MOORE
US CIVIL WAR
Name: Delmont Moore
Side: Union
Regiment State/Origin: Maine
Regiment Name: 1 Maine Cavalry
Regiment Name Expanded: 1st Regiment, Maine Cavalry
Company: I
Rank In: Private
Rank In Expanded: Private
Rank Out: Private
Rank Out Expanded: Private
Film Number: M543 roll 15

Re: Moore, MAINE

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 7:13AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: MOOR, MOORE
Birth Year: abt 1834
Birthplace: Maine
Home in 1850: Searsport, Waldo, Maine
Family Number: 372
+
Samuel Moore 40
Ann Moore 39
Wyelt W Moore 18
Malissa A Moore 16
Abagail C Moore 10
Celia J Moore 5
Francis E Moore 3

NH MARRIAGE
Name: Delmont Moor
Marriage Date: 29 Nov 1864
Event Type: Marriage
Clerk's Location: Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire
Birth Date: abt 1835
Father's Name: Samuel Moor
Mother's Name: Ann
Spouse Name: C M Varney
Spouse Age: 25
Spouse Gender: Female
Spouse Father's Name: Edward B Varney
Spouse Mother's Name: Mercy B
FHL Film Number: 1001282

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 4:35PM GMT
Thanks for this info. I already had the military record. That is how I tracked "D. A. More" to Delmont Moore. Census records for 1850/1860 helped me find the family. I did not have NH marriage details.

Two questions: Where did you find the NH marriage information? And, how might I go about finding if there are any living descendents of the family still living in Waldo/Maine who have been inquiring into family history?

Regards,

Donn Cairns
Colorado Springs, CO

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 4:51PM GMT
New Hampshire Bureau of Vital Records. “Marriage Records.” New Hampshire Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics, Concord.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: MOORE
Birth Year: abt 1842
Birthplace: Maine
Home in 1880: Silver Cliff, Custer, Colorado
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Maine
Mother's Birthplace: Maine
Neighbors: View others on page
with the FARRINGTON FAMILY

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: Moore, More, Curtis, Varney
Donn,

There is a tree on ancestry, "The TYLER Ancestry Tree, owner: KenTyler (active as of today) who has the family of Samuel MOORE and Ann CURTIS with their six children. You might try contacting him to see if he has made the connection.

Delmont is in the 1870 Census listed as Delmont MORRE with his wife Caroline M born 1840 New Hampshire and daughter, Carrie E born 1866 in Maine.

Caroline "Carrie" M Varney Moore died 19 May 1881 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts according to the Massachusetts Death Index on familysearch.org.

Also, Maine birth record for Delmont MOORE on familysearch.org shows his birth as 22 September 1835 in Prospect, Waldo County, Maine.

His mother's maiden name came from a death record for one of Delmont's siblings, Wilda F Moore STOUT who died in 1930.

If you find proof that D.A. MORE is Delmont MOORE, son of Samuel MOORE and Ann CURTIS, please let me know. His memorial is posted on Find A Grave and I've been trying to help prove the connection.

Juanita

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 12:45AM GMT
Hi Juanita,

Unless there is a D. A. More or another D. A. Moore who served in Co I, 1st Maine Cav, this has to be Delmont from Waldo.

I have tried to attach a photo of his head stone. Don't know if it will work or not.

I am not family. Just another veteran Maine boy who happened to notice the D. A. More - Maine Cav marker while doing a guided cemetery tour. I am adopting the grave and was just curious if any other family members were out there wondering what happened to ole Del.

Donn Cairns
Attachments:

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 3:25AM GMT
Donn,

I came to the same conclusion. Glad to see he's going to be well looked after.

Juanita
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions