Search for content in message boards

DuBose Family Reunion in Texas

DuBose Family Reunion in Texas

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DuBose, Whilden, DuTarque, Cassels, Dick
John DuBose, first keeper of the Cape Florida Lighthouse, and his wife Margaret Dick, moved to Texas in the early days of the Texas Republic. They were natives of South Carolina. John served as a midshipman in the U.S. Navy, in the Sea Fencibles in the War of 1812, and in the SC State Senate.

John DuBose (b. 1779) was the son of Isaac DuBose IV and Catherine Dutarque of Camden, SC. His father Isaac DuBose IV served under Francis Marion "The Swampfox" in the American Revolution. John DuBose m. 1st Anna Susan Cantey in 1804. He m. 2nd Margaret DuBose Dick in 1809. She was his cousin and was the daughter of William Dick and Margaret DuBose. Margaret DuBose (b. 1765) was the daughter of Capt. Elias DuBose, Sr. and Lydia Cassels. Elias DuBose, Sr. served under Gen. Nathaniel Green in the American Revolution and was the son of John DuBose and Mary Whilden.

John DuBose descendants are happy to announce that they will be having their first reunion on Labor Day Weekend, Sept. 4-6, 2009 in Gonzales, Texas. This will be a very large gathering, so contact me offline as soon as possible if you plan to attend. Please bring copies of pictures and your family tree to share. We look forward to seeing you!

Re: DuBose Family Reunion in Texas

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 4:25AM GMT
I am not the administrator of this message board, although I tried to see who was and couldn't find out. I DO encourage all those who hail through John DuBose to go to the reunion in Gonzales, TX.

I was honored to meet Josephine (DuBose) Johnson a year ago, after many years of writing to each other. She drove my wife and I over many acres of property to see our ancestors. It was a thrill to go over grounds that my Great Grandmother went over, to see what she saw. (A person who Josephine knew of)
The point is that if you are descendant of this line, please come to the reunion!
Thanks
Bob Sanders

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 5:29PM GMT
For more information on the DuBose reunion in Gonzales, Texas on Labor Day Weekend 2009 go to:
http://www.dubosefamilyhistory.com

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 6:17PM GMT
Surnames: DuBose, d'Antignac
Is this the same DuBose family who were the subject of an article in the San Antonio newspaper in 1915?

Are there any other reunions planned?

I am a descendant of Isaac the Emigrant through his gg-grandaughter Hannah DuBose d'Antignac who lived in Augusta/Richmond County, GA.

Thanks for your time.
Brenda Austin Mason

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 7:30PM GMT
Brenda, the reunion was of the descendants of John and Margaret Dick DuBose who came to Texas in 1840 and settled in Gonzales. We are related. Margaret Dick was a daughter of Margaret d/o Captain Elias Isaac who was a brother of your Isaac. There are no plans for another reunion.

Are you aware of the DuBose Reunion to be held in SC next month? A number of us from Texas are going. Karen Hansen has arraged a tour of the Low Country where the DuBoses settled. If you are interested, I can send you the information.

Also, I can share any info I have. Do you have Mrs. Macdowell's Dubose Enealogy. If so, I am a Grandson of Elias Dick DuBose, I-83, p 15.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic