Search for content in message boards

Seth Moore

Seth Moore

Posted: 13 Jul 2001 5:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore
Seth was married to Mary Owen, whose family migrated from VA to Granville Co., NC. He died 1807 in Wilkes County, GA. I have info on Mildred's family, and some of their children, but no further on Seth. He was my gr-gr-gr grandfather. Can anyone help? thanks.

Re: Seth Moore

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: Seth Moores, Thomas?
Betty,

We are tracking the same family...I have George W.T. your Seth's W brother,I'm looking in the Halifax Co,Va and Nc area.Any ideas I think they maybe a long standing family.

Valerie

Sheila Jarrett (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2003 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Cowan, Cowen
I found a man named Seth Moore living in St. Clair county, Alabama on the 1850 Census. All I have written is his name and a woman's name "Mary", age 49 and South Carolina. If there were any children, I did not write them down. The name caught my attention because I am trying to find the family of my husband's ancestor, Margaret Moore (m. James Cowan). These people were living very near Margaret and was old enough to be her parents, so I quickly jotted the info down on the back of a paper. Any idea who these people could be??

Posted: 18 Sep 2003 12:49AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2003 11:56PM GMT
I have transcribed the Moore entries in all of the land tax and personal tax lists from the time there were any Halifax County records of any kind through 1810, and I have found no mention of a Seth. That doesn't mean he didn't live there, it simply means that he neither owned land nor lived on his own. If he lived with a family, he would have been counted under their tax numbers after he was age 16. I have also transcribed some of the deeds, court records, etc., and no Seth there either. However, you are right and this is a longstanding family. Other counties with many Moores include Lunenburg, Orange, Brunswick, Pittsylvania, Mecklenburg in Va and Caswell, Person and Orange in NC - among others. These are the counties that the Moores from Halifax, of which there seem to be between 2 anf 4 distinct groups, are associated with.

Betty M. Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2003 4:46PM GMT
My Seth was in Teliaferro county, GA in the 1840's. His father, who married Mary Owen, died there in 1807. My Seth, Married Elizabeth Digby, then Sophrinia Saxon there. The 1850 Teliaferro County shows Sophrinia and children, but no Seth, so, I assume (no proof) that my Seth died there prior to 1850.
Anyone else out there who can enlighten me about this family? I'm at a brick wall prior to the proof of 1807 death of Seth, Sr.

Betty M. Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2003 5:05PM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Owen, Grant, Saxon
I believe Seth probably was from Person Co., NC. I have no proof. Mary Owen, whom he married in Halifax Co. VA may have been his connection there. I am at a 'brick wall' of proving anything prior to his death in Wilkes Co., GA, 1807.
Any proof of this family in that area will be appreciated.

Posted: 5 Feb 2004 6:11PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 6:31PM GMT
I believe that two Seth Moores were born in Mecklenburg Co., Va.(just above Halifax Co., N.C.) in the mid to late 1700's. One was the son of Thomas Moore and Mary Farrar and the other was the son of THomas' son George Moore and his wife, Elizabeth Moody. Both Thomas and George Moore left wills in Mecklenburg. I have more on Thomas and George but nothing else on Seth.

Betty Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2004 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Owen, Grant, Farrar
Thanks, Rich, for your info. I am aware of these two. I have been trying to confirm that 'my' Seth was the son of Thomas for a long time. There is just no info yet in all my research to confirm. However, a cousin of mine submitted his DNA to that project and it matched with another descendant of Thomas Moore's, so we know we are on the right track, we just can't find it documented anywhere.

Posted: 6 Feb 2004 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 6:31PM GMT
I would say that if the Seth Moore disappears from Mecklenburg and a Seth Moore reappears in an adjacent county, that's reasonable circumstantial eveidence. The DNA result should be enough to confirm it in your mind, but the lack of a documentary link is frustrating. I hope to have a new cousin soon. I descend from Thomas' son George and Elizabeth Moody. Good luck

Betty Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2004 3:33AM GMT
Rich, I believe I will pick my Seth up again in Caswell Co., NC. Someday I hope to be able to actually go to that area and do some digging.
Email me at: BMTAL@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions